UMass leaving MAC | The Boneyard

UMass leaving MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I do believe their only option would be to go back to D-1AA

Reaction Score
Just an ill thought out plan from jumpstreet. They came into the upgrade with no vision or plan for the future. It's almost like they did it just for the sake of doing it.

Reaction Score
This is a death sentence for UMass football. How can they recruit without a conference? How can they schedule decent home games?

Reaction Score
But wouldn't UMess be so utterly desireable by just about everyone that they could start the realignment wheel spinning all over the place again?

Reaction Score
They will be in the AAC very soon...its only logical that they want them to backfill the Mass. TV market. Its all about eyeballs and the AAC needs as many as possible to remain even remotely alive for any extended period. As terrible as UMass has been in the move. Its not about UMass. Its about the Massachusetts TV and advertising market.

Reaction Score
They will be in the AAC very soon...its only logical that they want them to backfill the Mass. TV market. Its all about eyeballs and the AAC needs as many as possible to remain even remotely alive for any extended period. As terrible as UMass has been in the move. Its not about UMass. Its about the Massachusetts TV and advertising market.

You're nuts. I'll eat my shoes if this happens.

Reaction Score
They dont bring any eyeballs to TV. The "western MA TV market" is nothing. We have 12 teams now - so we would need to add TWO more to get to 14 and FURTHER dilute the little money we make now???

Reaction Score
They dont bring any eyeballs to TV. The "western MA TV market" is nothing. We have 12 teams now - so we would need to add TWO more to get to 14 and FURTHER dilute the little money we make now???
You're nuts. I'll eat my shoes if this happens.

First, I am nuts. But, put yourself in the shoes of the ACC (since you may be eating your own). The conference is an abomination. It is struggling to even be marginally relevant. UMass has already tried to make a play for the Boston market with games up there, and if you want to save the program you need to elevate it. The AAC is arguably a step up from the MAC, and with UConn it is a natural rivalry that I'm sure somebody is saying can be kindled into something big. It is a Springfield market, but they can't sell that to anybody. So, they have to sell that it can deliver the whole state. What else can they do? I'm sure somebody got creative and is showing how the Boston metro market can be had. Finally, if they add 1,00o viewers a weak, it probably doubles viewership of the AAC (sarcasm). Ill add this. The only thing that helping keep a heartbeat for the AAC is a good showing in basketball, and we all know that only goes so far. I really thing it is two desperate entities thrashing about for something.

Look, the easy case is to argue they revert. But, there will be a lot of hurt egos if that happens, and it would not surprise me if Aresco takes a flier.

Reaction Score
The AAC move seems credible to me. There must have been some back channel discussions with Aresco which led to the MAC decision by UMASS. It is not feasible to believe that the State University of MA would head back to the boonies.

Reaction Score
First, I am nuts. But, put yourself in the shoes of the ACC (since you may be eating your own). The conference is an abomination. It is struggling to even be marginally relevant. UMass has already tried to make a play for the Boston market with games up there, and if you want to save the program you need to elevate it. The AAC is arguably a step up from the MAC, and with UConn it is a natural rivalry that I'm sure somebody is saying can be kindled into something big. It is a Springfield market, but they can't sell that to anybody. So, they have to sell that it can deliver the whole state. What else can they do? I'm sure somebody got creative and is showing how the Boston metro market can be had. Finally, if they add 1,00o viewers a weak, it probably doubles viewership of the AAC (sarcasm). Ill add this. The only thing that helping keep a heartbeat for the AAC is a good showing in basketball, and we all know that only goes so far. I really thing it is two desperate entities thrashing about for something.

Look, the easy case is to argue they revert. But, there will be a lot of hurt egos if that happens, and it would not surprise me if Aresco takes a flier.

There is no reason to add UMass other than replacing us. None. Nada. Zip. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Reaction Score
The AAC move seems credible to me. There must have been some back channel discussions with Aresco which led to the MAC decision by UMASS. It is not feasible to believe that the State University of MA would head back to the boonies.

There is no way the AAC is going to 13 or 14. So either Aresco believes Navy is not coming or he believes Cincy, UCF or UConn is leaving soon.

Edit: That's all based on IF there were back channel discussions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is no reason to add UMass other than replacing us. None. Nada. Zip. Makes no sense whatsoever.
I dont even think that makes much sense as we are on the outskirts of our conference footprint to begin with. If we left the AAC and they were to add a school my guess it would be a school more centrally located to the conference like a Louisiana tech or a Middle Tennessee State.

Reaction Score
Maybe they are putting football in CUSA and basketball in the Big East. Can't believe the AAC would sign up for another mouth to feed. They are not an adequate sub for Navy.

Reaction Score
There are rumors that they will leave hoops in the A10 and place football only in the Sunbelt. If Aresco is considering them to further damage the AAC then we are in deeper than most of us think we already are.

Reaction Score

It didn't read to me like it was UMass making the decision. When the MAC lost Temple, the MAC was left with 13 teams and had the option to convert UMass' membership to a two year term and the MAC did so which lead to this decision to get the MAC back to 12 members.

Reaction Score
It didn't read to me like it was UMass making the decision. When the MAC lost Temple, the MAC was left with 13 teams and had the option to convert UMass' membership to a two year term and the MAC did so which lead to this decision to get the MAC back to 12 members.

UMass made the decision that it wouldn't join the MAC in all sports. The MAC decided it didn't need UMass football if it wasn't getting UMass basketball.

Reaction Score
Aresco doesn't add anyone. The schools in the conference vote on the adds. Aresco tees it up

Reaction Score
This decision was forced on Umass. Their AD said he had hoped for a longer transition period than 2 years which indicates he has nothing in the hopper and that he is talking with other "conference representatives"

This was in the article in the paper:

"The MAC Presidents Council elected to exercise a clause in the membership agreement that forced UMass to either leave the league after two seasons or become a full member in all sports. "

Umass wasn't looking to get out, they were told to crap or get off the pot by the MAC.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'll throw up if the AAC adds UMass while we are still stuck in this league.

Reaction Score
Yes all those TV's in Pittsfield. That will put them over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom