• UK

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Philidelphia

Votes: 44 95.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think this is a legit matchup. I say UK has a chance to beat the sixers and this is the first time ive actually thought a college team could possibly beat an nba team.

Reaction Score
Philly would smoke them. We can't even be sure yet, for as impressive as they were last night, that Kentucky is the best college basketball team. And most of their players can't legally drink.

Now, Philly is historically bad, and I don't think there's any doubt Kentucky has as much or more talent. But the gap in development is just too large for me to entertain the thought unless Philly had a few injuries, UK had a few more months to develop, and the game was played at Rupp. And even then, it probably takes a hot shooting night.

Reaction Score
Philly would smoke them. We can't even be sure yet, for as impressive as they were last night, that Kentucky is the best college basketball team. And most of their players can't legally drink.

Now, Philly is historically bad, and I don't think there's any doubt Kentucky has as much or more talent. But the gap in development is just too large for me to entertain the thought unless Philly had a few injuries, UK had a few more months to develop, and the game was played at Rupp. And even then, it probably takes a hot shooting night.

Absolutely agree. My point is although a remote one there is a possibility that uk would win. I usually think the best college team has ZERO chance of beating an nba team. I think UK has a .00001% of beating a Philly.

Reaction Score
I mean most of Phillys players are like 20-23 it's not thaaaaat much of a gap.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
We're feeding right into the garbage media hype on Kentucky. What's next, are we going to make a topic asking if they're going 40-0?
Won't convince me that quote out of Bledsoe was planted by Cal.

Reaction Score
We're feeding right into the garbage media hype on Kentucky. What's next, are we going to make a topic asking if they're going 40-0?

This is exactly what I was thinking. It's really dumb to compare a team with guys who have barely played any games at a higher than a high school level, to a team with NBA resources, training and development. Not to mention the fact that Kentucky's main strength - length and athleticism - would be cancelled out by the Philly team who also have length and athleticism in players like MCW, Wroten, McDaniels and Noel.

This is just another example of unnecessary hype for Kentucky. The 76ers would sweep.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Perhaps they could beat UCONN before aspiring to the NBA?

caw

Reaction Score
Honestly not sure who is healthy for Philly. Philly would be favored by quite a bit. UK has three advantages over most teams.

1-NBA talent
2-depth
3-height

Not a single one of those would be advantages against Philly. However, yes they could win a game if it was college rules, at Lexington, with UK refs, and Philly was trying to lose.

MCW vs Harrison
Hollis Thompson vs Harrison
LMaM vs Poy
Sims vs Towns
Noel vs CS

Wroten vs Ulis
McDaniels vs Booker
Davies vs Lee
Covington vs Lyles
Gordon vs Johnson

UK would be destroyed in the backcourt (absolutely destroyed) front court would be closer but only because I believe Embiid, Shved and Sampson are out.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
This poll is actually on the front page of ESPN (bottom). More people have voted for UK than Philly (as of now) 54% to 46%

Reaction Score
There are about 315 NCAA College D1 basketball teams today with 12 scholarships per team. That equals 3,780 D1 basketball players. Divided by 4 classes, that means 25% graduate per year (not correct; but simplified for statistical analysis) or 945 eligible players. The NBA drafts the 'best of the best' each year in 2 rounds of 30, that is a total of 60 eligible slots. That means statistically, 6% of each graduating class has a chance at the NBA. Even with Kentucky being so top heavy, they cannot match each and established every pro player on Philadelphia. Afterall, even if the Sixers are still the worst team in the NBA, they still have the best 6% of all college basketball players, plus they are older, likely bigger, and more experienced.

Reaction Score
This poll is actually on the front page of ESPN (bottom). More people have voted for UK than Philly (as of now) 54% to 46%

From the same people who voted for Bush II twice and Obama twice...

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Come on, that is not a fair comparison.....

....Kentucky's players are making at least 2x to 3x what the Sixers players are making in salary this year. So of course they are better! :)

Reaction Score
Remember when Dick Vitale used to say the 99 Dukies could beat the Miami Heat? LOL

Reaction Score
There's no way. Philly blows, but these are all players who have managed in the NBA. Not every player on UK is going to make it in the NBA. Even platoon NBA players tend to have been very, very good college basketball players -- or at least extremely talented college basketball players. I don't think it'd even be close.

Reaction Score
You are talking an NBA coach who actually knows how to coach versus Calipari. Philadelphia wins by 23.

Reaction Score

speaking of media hype, was Calipari that "dribble drive" guy? Or was that Pitino?

Reaction Score
There's no way. Philly blows, but these are all players who have managed in the NBA. Not every player on UK is going to make it in the NBA. Even platoon NBA players tend to have been very, very good college basketball players -- or at least extremely talented college basketball players. I don't think it'd even be close.
Being a life long Philly fan, I agree; HOWEVER, if (big if) that happened, the city of Philadelphia should be ashamed of themselves to allow an owner to put a poor excuse for a basketball team on the court like that ( they should be ashamed now )...

Reaction Score
There are about 315 NCAA College D1 basketball teams today with 12 scholarships per team. That equals 3,780 D1 basketball players. Divided by 4 classes, that means 25% graduate per year (not correct; but simplified for statistical analysis) or 945 eligible players. The NBA drafts the 'best of the best' each year in 2 rounds of 30, that is a total of 60 eligible slots. That means statistically, 6% of each graduating class has a chance at the NBA. Even with Kentucky being so top heavy, they cannot match each and established every pro player on Philadelphia. Afterall, even if the Sixers are still the worst team in the NBA, they still have the best 6% of all college basketball players, plus they are older, likely bigger, and more experienced.

Throw in the International factor of the draft to this analysis and the numbers are even worse for Kentucky's argument.

Reaction Score
Of all of the ridiculous questions on this board, this one might take the cake. Kentucky would get blown out by Philly. Fed face first into the wood chipper. If you took the top 8 kids from the draft last year and put them all on the same team and played Philly, they'd get smoked by Philly. This silly question comes up in a ton of different iterations when sportswriters start slobbering over "dominant" teams. Remember the discussion about the USC team beating the 0-16 Lions? Same type of deal. The NBA guys are the best of the best, with years of playing the best competition, with better coaching, training, more time together etc, on top of just being flat out more talented. Not even close.

Reaction Score
Of all of the ridiculous questions on this board, this one might take the cake. Kentucky would get blown out by Philly. Fed face first into the wood chipper. If you took the top 8 kids from the draft last year and put them all on the same team and played Philly, they'd get smoked by Philly. This silly question comes up in a ton of different iterations when sportswriters start slobbering over "dominant" teams. Remember the discussion about the USC team beating the 0-16 Lions? Same type of deal. The NBA guys are the best of the best, with years of playing the best competition, with better coaching, training, more time together etc, on top of just being flat out more talented. Not even close.

The question actually didn't originate on this board. It's based on what Eric Bledsoe said about the 76ers and ESPN is running a poll on the front page of the website, which Kentucky is currently winning at a 53-47 ratio. Looks like CT is one of the only sane states.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/pos...ledsoe-right-kentucky-beat-philadelphia-76ers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom