OT: - uk pro day | The Boneyard

OT: uk pro day

Reaction Score
This is partly (or the main) the reason the squid does so well in recruiting. This is a scrimmage attended by media and scouts. Yet when the season is over their record will be mediocre due to coaching, lack of team unity (selfishness) and of course experience. Are they practicing to get better or showing off for the scouts?

Its a nice recruiting perk but to what end? I'm not jealous or envious, just amazed how much attention a mediocre team receives over proven Champions. I thought this was a one off, but the squid has his methods. Hope we play them again this season, some way, somehow.

Here's what it looks like: Nothing to see here, just offering proof of existence. Remember this is team was 9-16 last year and 8-9 (8th place) in Conference, and didn't make the Tourney last season. Just saying they're done nothing to warrant so much attention, but NCAA needs a dook replacement with K leaving.

Reaction Score
It is, in my opinion, a complete myth that KU under Calipari has underachieved. The crux of the doubters' argument seems to be that, since they have the best players every year, they should win the tournament every year. This is a fallacy, because it is exceedingly hard, and exceedingly dependent on luck, to win the NCAA tournament.

What one could more reasonably say is that, on average, KU gets the best players, so, on average, they should be the best team. The results seem to show that is indeed the case. The Cal years are highlighted.
1634066814275.png

Has there been a better team overall since 2009? I doubt it. Could another coach do better with Calipari's rosters? Maybe, but it's tough to hang your argument's hat on that hypothetical.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why do care about England’s pros

Reaction Score
It is, in my opinion, a complete myth that KU under Calipari has underachieved. The crux of the doubters' argument seems to be that, since they have the best players every year, they should win the tournament every year. This is a fallacy, because it is exceedingly hard, and exceedingly dependent on luck, to win the NCAA tournament.

What one could more reasonably say is that, on average, KU gets the best players, so, on average, they should be the best team. The results seem to show that is indeed the case. The Cal years are highlighted.
View attachment 70295
Has there been a better team overall since 2009? I doubt it. Could another coach do better with Calipari's rosters? Maybe, but it's tough to hang your argument's hat on that hypothetical.
ku is kansas. i also think most people on this board would argue that two chips and a third final four appearance make uconn the best team in the 2009 - present era. but i agree that uk has been more consistent than some give them credit for.

that being said, i wonder when the bubble is going to burst on calipari's recruiting -- there is a laundry list of nba guys (quickley is the most recent example) who underachieved at kentucky, got drafted mid-to-late first round or lower, and then ended up flourishing in the nba. it's not like he's maximizing these guys' potential and getting them into the top-5 every year.

Reaction Score

View attachment 70295
Man what a great example of how to destroy your credibility in one sentence

Reaction Score
ku is kansas. i also think most people on this board would argue that two chips and a third final four appearance make uconn the best team in the 2009 - present era. but i agree that uk has been more consistent than some give them credit for.

that being said, i wonder when the bubble is going to burst on calipari's recruiting -- there is a laundry list of nba guys (quickley is the most recent example) who underachieved at kentucky, got drafted mid-to-late first round or lower, and then ended up flourishing in the nba. it's not like he's maximizing these guys' potential and getting them into the top-5 every year.
I have no defense for the UK/KU mixup. I know better. Just a brain fart I guess.

The majority of this board might hold UConn (ConnU?) to be the best team 2009-present, but this is the UConn board. Anyway, even if I agreed, I would still not say that UK underachieves.

Reaction Score
I have no defense for the UK/KU mixup. I know better. Just a brain fart I guess.

The majority of this board might hold UConn (ConnU?) to be the best team 2009-present, but this is the UConn board. Anyway, even if I agreed, I would still not say that UK underachieves.
It’s a sport, championships are the bar that most people hold teams to. It’s a testament to UK that people consider/ed them win or bust from a success standpoint.
Doesn’t override the fact tho that they just haven’t won it (but once)

Reaction Score
Who cares about the KU or UK programs?
A lot of idle time - this season needs to start
No one really cares, its just news in the college basketball landscape. There are so many teams outside of Storrs, and if you only watch our highlights you might think we are an NBA type team playing in D1.

I expect come the end of the month, we will be reverting to all things UConn and the BE. But for right now its ok to peek:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

View attachment 70295

Coaching is about both recruiting and Xs and Os. I agree that it would have been hard for anyone to win more titles with Calipari's players because his rosters were so freshman heavy, but that's the choice he made by going predominantly after 1-and-done guys!

Reaction Score
Cal puts kids in the NBA..It's his deal. With the GLeague/Overtime Elite competing for his targets ..It will be interesting.

He can't deliver ships with his players. Got to sell Pro Day to his freshman.

Reaction Score
Everyone seems to be missing my point. You are taking for granted that the statement, "Kentucky (under Calipari) doesn't win championships" is true. It's not. Since 2009 there have been 8 schools that have won the tournament. There are 350ish D1 teams. Mathematically, Calipari's UK teams have won more titles than 98.7% of D1 teams over that span.

Aside from that, number of championships is not a good barometer for judging how good college basketball teams are. Yes, if your school wins multiple championships, they are undoubtedly elite. But there are many elite schools with 0 titles over a given period of time (and some elite schools with 0 titles ever).

For the record, I am no fan of Calipari or Kentucky basketball. I just get irked when people parrot conventional wisdom without thinking critically.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom