Uh...so what the hell do we do now? | The Boneyard

Uh...so what the hell do we do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Forget the ACC and B1G...it's starting to look like we won't even have a new Big East to wait around in. And begging the Catholic 7 to not act in their best interests when we publicly were trying to do the exact same thing twice in the last year, Susan, really? Also isn't that why you have an AD, to handle this crap so the president of the university doesn't have to look so pathetic? I really think UConn has hurt their image recently to the point where we've become untouchable. A big. Fat. Joke.

If I had to grade the Herbst/Manuel team on their overall performance during conference realignment, at a risk of sounding hyperbolic, I'd seriously have to give them a zero out of 10. They were silent when they could have / should have been making noise, appeared disinterested and even arrogant when they should have been diligent and humble, now Susan's noisy when she should shut up and stop embarrassing the school, or at least let Warde do his damn job and go and talk to the other athletic departments. And over and over again we get cookie cutter, meaningless responses regarding the future of UConn athletics, that they're monitoring the situation, that winning winners love to win and will always win because they are winners...

I'm pretty disgusted. I can't believe that less than 2 years ago I was in Hartford for a parade celebrating a national championship for the Huskies. I can't believe that just 2 years ago I was watching a football team with less than a decade's experience in the FBS playing in a BCS bowl.

Screw it, I guess. Realignment is a filthy, awful, and painful process for the schools struggling to make it. But Connecticut had too much going for it to be a victim. We didn't get shafted, we earned the shaft.

Reaction Score
What do you expect Susan/Warde to do? We have to be invited...

Geez, when are you people going to get it...

Reaction Score
Somebody has to lose. When the SWC broke up it was Houston, SMU and TCU. This time, it's us.

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't the catholic schools invite Uconn for all sorts but football?

Reaction Score
Dude, it's a sales event. They lost. They can't message or market the value of their product.

Manuel is a clown. Terrible hire and Susan did that so she is guilty by association.

What do you expect Susan/Warde to do? We have to be invited...

Geez, when are you people going to get it...

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't the catholic schools invite Uconn for all sorts but football?

1) They want to get on with things without a school that will run away at the first opportunity.

2) Whatever group football joins up with will demand that we join in all sports.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dude, it's a sales event. They lost. They can't message or market the value of their product.

Agree with this part. I'm concerned about the text I left out though.

Reaction Score
Herbst's words also have legal ramifications. There's a lot of money involved. UConn has to make out as though this is very lamentable. Remember, UConn is responsible for bringing in a ton of those NCAA credits.

As for this: "If the Big East lost the seven Catholic basketball schools, it would decrease the value of the league's media rights by "15 to 20 percent," an industry source said."

The math here tells me that this is more money for the football schools.

You lose 20% of your money when 45% of the league leaves. Uhhhhhhh......

Reaction Score
Herbst's words also have legal ramifications. There's a lot of money involved. UConn has to make out as though this is very lamentable. Remember, UConn is responsible for bringing in a ton of those NCAA credits.

As for this: "If the Big East lost the seven Catholic basketball schools, it would decrease the value of the league's media rights by "15 to 20 percent," an industry source said."

The math here tells me that this is more money for the football schools.

You lose 20% of your money when 45% of the league leaves. Uhhhhhhh......

I was thinking about that too. I don't think it'll amount to much more though because the bball only schools received a significantly smaller payout anyway based upon the content they provide.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn doesn't have a conference. We are essentially applying to Boise's league at this point, or trying to join the Catholics and go Independent or MAC for football. Two terrible options. It is also possible that neither league wants UConn, and UConn is forced to the MAC for all sports.

Adding Tulane is looking pretty stupid in hindsight. Whether that was the straw or not, it is just a dumb move in every way.

If I was Aresco, I would quit if the Catholic schools split off. He would simply say that the league he came to run no longer exists, and he is going back to the media world.

Reaction Score
If the ACC wanted to do something benevolent for once, they would just extend invites to Cincy and UConn and be done with it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If the ACC wanted to do something benevolent for once, they would just extend invites to Cincy and UConn and be done with it.
Except that they are a business not a charity. Although that's not really accurate since the better business decision would have been to invite UConn over Cuse, Pitt or Ville.

Reaction Score

I assured my wife that when Jessica Alba calls begging me to sleep with her I will remain faithful. She did not seem concerned............

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If NIU could get a BCS bowl bid, so can we. We just have force someone to take us. Some day.

Reaction Score
Shows just how important having one of the best basketball programs in the nation is...I've thought manuel was a dead man walking since the Louisville fiasco. I think it even more now. Herbst will survive but with significantly less influence than before.

Reaction Score
reality, though, is a basketball league with UConn, Cincinatti, Temple, Memphis, is at least as good, probably better than one with Georgetown and Marquette and a bunch of teams relying on their success during the Carter, Nixon and Johnson Adminstrations.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If I was Aresco, I would quit if the Catholic schools split off. He would simply say that the league he came to run no longer exists, and he is going back to the media world.

Yeah, you'd have to think at that point he just throws his hands up and looks out for his own sanity.

I hope the guy writes a book or talks to someone who does. Would be interesting.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
reality, though, is a basketball league with UConn, Cincinatti, Temple, Memphis, is at least as good, probably better than one with Georgetown and Marquette and a bunch of teams relying on their success during the Carter, Nixon and Johnson Adminstrations.

Seriously? Memphis stinks. Best days are behind them. Cinci has never done anything. Temple hasn't done much lately either. I'm assuming the Catholics will poach Xavier, SLU, Creighton and some other solid Catholic schools. It's not even close.

Reaction Score
Seriously? Memphis stinks. Best days are behind them. Cinci has never done anything. Temple hasn't done much lately either. I'm assuming the Catholics will poach Xavier, SLU, Creighton and some other solid Catholic schools. It's not even close.
People are understating the ability of Georgetown, Villanova, and Marquette, and others. All those three schools have been to a Final Four in the last 8/9 years. Cincy, USF, hell, or Pitt--haven't.

They're demonstrably better than A10 schools--and they'll pick up the A10 schools like VCU and Butler than have been successful on the national stage recently.

2012 had all real football schools in the Final Four. But 2011 had two that weren't. 2010 had one that wasn't. 2009 had one that wasn't. Same with 2007, 2006, etc. It's not that unreasonable for these schools to have success.

caw

Reaction Score
Well one positive. If UConn ever does end up elsewhere, no exit fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom