Uh oh............ | The Boneyard

Uh oh............

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
How many different statistics can they use to show the same thing? Our academics sucked or five years starting with the class of 2006. We know this. This is what the APR showed and we were punished for. How many different statistics are they going to release that all measure the same thing for a period that is over 5 years? Overkill!!!

Reaction Score
The NCAA is going to keep reporting this as often as they can so that next year when Uconn has the biggest improvement they can say the new rules are working.

Reaction Score
Yeah now that I have read it who gives a rats a**? As stated we knew this already, doesn't look good but it is what it is....move on......

Reaction Score
Graduation rates are always subject to question.....one thing transfers count against your for this statistic. Between A. Kellogg, M. White, M. Johnson, B. Eaves, S. Hazelton and D. Wiggins we had a ton of kids leave the program. This on top of the Boones, Marcus Williams and Gays of the world who left for the NBA.

The transfers is what really hurt the graduation rate if you ask me. It is deplorable yes, but what did one expect when half a class each year has been transferring. You are starting out with a 50% GR at best case assuming no one leaves for the NBA

Reaction Score
Emmert feels your pain USG, so now the NCAA will also release it's own graduation index. The College Readiness and Performance Index or CRAP. Similar to the BCS.

It's calculated as follows:

CRAP Index = round up (99% x 2009 APR) + round down (1% x Current APR)

Reaction Score
"The academic problems of that period are reflected in this GSR, which takes into account players who entered UConn in 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005, and allowing six years to graduate. Of all those players, only 11 percent graduated within six years."

Of the players that entered UConn during those years, Hilton Armstrong, Charlie Villanueva, Marcus Williams, Josh Boone, Rudy Gay, and Jeff Adrien have played or still do play in the NBA, Denham Brown was drafted and currently plays professionally in Europe, Rashad Anderson also plays in Europe, Marcus White, Marcus Johnson, and Rob Garrison transferred, and I believe Craig Austrie graduated, though I'm not sure.

That's 12 players who entered UConn during the NCAA's measurement period. It seems that the three transfers are not counted in the measurement, leaving nine players. One graduated, which puts the GSR at 11.11%. The other eight play basketball professionally, which is what their goal was when they came to UConn. That's 88.89%. Any university department would be thrilled to put that ratio of students into their chosen professions, especially at the salaries that those eight former UConn players earn.

Reaction Score
Anyone else expecting the NCAA to make up a new rule for this and retroactively enforce it? I'm guessing now we won't be eligible for the tournament until Penn State can play in a bowl game.

Reaction Score
There is no positive way to spin this. Hopefully Ollie will do a better job than JC monitoring academics.

Reaction Score
*awaits upstater spin job*

Do you know anything about the GSR?

I've actually looked at it.

It's a joke.

Spin job?

I like these people who are so easily fooled by stats that are made up to cover the NCAA's arse.

Look at the exemptions to the GSR. If you leave early for a variety of reasons, you're not counted in the GSR. So, if the graduate rate is not related to graduation, what the heck is it related to? UConn is doing a pretty awful job of graduating its players. Horribly bad. but so are many other schools that show up with high GSR scores. If you think I'm all for UConn making a farce of education, you're deluded. It's the opposite. The reason I don't like the APR and the GSR is that they make a farce of education. They force schools to lower standards.

Look up the GSR. Presumably, you can graduate 1 kid out of 13 scholarship kids, and your score will be 100%. So they should be ashamed to even have the words graduation in this bogus stat.

But whatever, so many on this board are so easily fooled. You'd think the first thing someone would do would be to look at the stat's criteria before commenting.

Reaction Score
Look at this nonsense: "UConn's GSR is a reflection of the APR issues they have had," said Walter Harrison, president of the University of Hartford and chairman of the NCAA's Committee on Academic Progress. "The GSR is really a look back on a collection of APR scores."

Uh, no, the APR has absolutely nothing to do with graduation. you can score a 1000 on APR and graduate nobody. 13 one-and-doners will do the trick.

Then this: "The overall GSR for athletes across the country is 81 percent, higher than the student body."

Hilarious. The GSR has absolutely no application to the general student body. The NCAA wants to make you think so, by applying irrelevant rules meant to create public relations impressions to the general population, we're supposed to believe the NCAA cares about academics.

You are being lied to.

Reaction Score
I'm with you upstater, the whole thing is a joke and was created by the NCAA to create the illusion that they care about academics, if they actually cared a smidgen about academics they would've brought the hammer down on UNC.

Reaction Score
The NCAA is going to keep reporting this as often as they can so that next year when Uconn has the biggest improvement they can say the new rules are working.
And they would be dead on right in claiming that, because, and I don't mean this in a bad way, there is no way, zero, zip, nada, that we were going to correct the problem without the Sword of Damocles hanging over our heads.

Or did we want to pretend that we found religion and our sudden zealousness in encouraging our young players to take their academics seriously just, Lord 'o Jesus on High, was perfectly coincidental in time with the APR hatchet being held over our heads?

Don't hurt me Arch, I'm just little!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Look at this nonsense: "UConn's GSR is a reflection of the APR issues they have had," said Walter Harrison, president of the University of Hartford and chairman of the NCAA's Committee on Academic Progress. "The GSR is really a look back on a collection of APR scores."

Harrison has turned out to be a scumbag of the highest order. I hope whatever consideration that comes his way for being the front man of this hatchet job is worth it to him. He's a bad guy, he should be shunned.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Our academics sucked or five years starting with the class of 2006. We know this. This is what the APR showed and we were punished for.

Wrong. If our academics sucked like UNC, guys would be getting a free ride and we'd have no problems.

Reaction Score
If Kentucky isnt ranked last in graduation rates, then this is the most flawed system in the history of American sports.

Reaction Score
If Kentucky isnt ranked last in graduation rates, then this is the most flawed system in the history of American sports.
In about seven years, Kentucky will probably have the highest APR and lowest GSR scores in the country. It's gonna blow Walter Harrison's APR/GSR correlation theory to smithereens.

caw

Reaction Score
In about seven years, Kentucky will probably have the highest APR and lowest GSR scores in the country. It's gonna blow Walter Harrison's APR/GSR correlation theory to smithereens.

Depends on if NBA players count to GSR at the time. I mean that seriously. UK doesn't transfer many and those who don't leave for the NBA likely do graduate.

Reaction Score

No, it won't. GSR does not measure graduation rate. People leaving the school for transfers and the pros are not counted in grad rates. All you need is for one player to graduate and 12 others to leave school without flunking, and your GSR is 100%.

Reaction Score
Just to give you guys an example here. U. South Florida. GSR: 88%. Federal Grad Rate: 0%.

So, how could Harrison and the NCAA possibly tout USF's athlete record as being better than the record of USF's student body?

I didn't even bother looking USF's Fed Rate up, but I'm pretty sure that at least one student graduated from USF in 2005. And I'm pretty sure all the other students didn't leave for the NBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom