UFC168

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Godsend Anderson Silva.

Greatest career ever. And he's done.

Tim Crumrie thinks that shattered leg was gross.

Silva literally shattered his tibia and fibia around Wiedman's shin.

THC

Reaction Score
One of the most gruesome leg injuries I've seen.

Reaction Score
What a strange way for his career to likely end.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think I need to watch a bunch of cute kitten videos to wash away the shock.

Reactions: THC

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Ouchy ouch ouch ! Man I bet that hurt nasty .

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Bottom line is that fighters who are 38 years old don't come back to fight at championship levels after injuries like that.

Silva will be 40 before he's able to fight at championship competition. He's done.

Still the greatest ever.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
That was a fun event. Sad to see Silva go out like that. Reminded me of Corey Hill's leg break. He was easily the most dominant champ in UFC history. I will always remember the look of fear in former champ Rich Franklin's face when Silva kept getting the clinch and unleashing knees on his body then head.

Reaction Score
One of the most gruesome leg injuries I've seen.

Same. Just read the story on ESPN, but the recap video didnt show it. Had to find it on twitter. GROSS!!

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Brazil is in shock. All over TV and the internets here.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Brazil is in shock. All over TV and the internets here.
Rio - the word I've heard is that MMA is the #2 sport in Brazil with soccer as the obvious #1. Is that what you see?

Reaction Score
It's gonna be a long road but I'll be curious to see where he's at after 9 months or so. Agree that a comeback isn't in the conversation but there's a lot of other things he can do with a good outcome. Broke a tib-fib in 2001 (at age 39)and had it re-broken 20 months later to fix the first mess. Ended up back on skates and climbing ladders. Sometimes it's good to be stubborn and have goals.

Reaction Score
He won't be fighting again. Does anyone know how old he is?

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Rio - the word I've heard is that MMA is the #2 sport in Brazil with soccer as the obvious #1. Is that what you see?
I would say thats right. Based on what I hear my students talking about, seems like MMA has passed volleyball and basketball in popularity- this is also reflected in whats promoted on TV. My best guestimation at sports popularity in Brazil:

1. Futebol (pronounced foochee-boll)
  2. MMA
  3. Volleyball/Bastekball tie- there are professional leagues for both sports that garner some attention here. NBA is also very popular. My wife (a native) thinks that volleyball is more popular in Sao Paulo and is rivaled by surfing in Rio de Janeiro. No doubt surfing is very popular here in Rio. So I would give surfing a 3.5.
  4. Formula 1 racing. Many great Brazilian drivers,Ayerton Senna being the most famous. Sadly the Brazilian GP was moved from Rio to Sao Paulo some years ago. The scenery (of all types) in Rio made an awesome backdrop for the race. F1 traded that for hideous Sao Paulo. Flat, ugly and dangerous. Kinda like moving an event from Seattle to Detroit.
  5. Futsal- Brazilian indoor soccer.
  6. American football- NFL is popular here. Alot of games shown on ESPN. I see alot of NFL and even NCAA gear on the street.

Reaction Score
He is 38, he was starting to look bored before the first Weidman loss. He was motivated and in great shape for this one. He has looked and talked as if he was disinterested for a few years now. He was so dominant for so long he looks like a guy who lost his edge, and that is the wrong sport to lose your edge in, where you have younger, hungrier top notch athletes looking to make their name off the established guy.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Forgot to mention there is a very active American Football beach league in Rio. Has something like 8 teams.

Reaction Score
I would say thats right. Based on what I hear my students talking about, seems like MMA has passed volleyball and basketball in popularity- this is also reflected in whats promoted on TV. My best guestimation at sports popularity in Brazil:

1. [ ]Futebol (pronounced foochee-boll)
    [ ]MMA
    [ ]Volleyball/Bastekball tie- there are professional leagues for both sports that garner some attention here. NBA is also very popular. My wife (a native) thinks that volleyball is more popular in Sao Paulo and is rivaled by surfing in Rio de Janeiro. No doubt surfing is very popular here in Rio. So I would give surfing a 3.5.
    [ ]Formula 1 racing. Many great Brazilian drivers,Ayerton Senna being the most famous. Sadly the Brazilian GP was moved from Rio to Sao Paulo some years ago. The scenery (of all types) in Rio made an awesome backdrop for the race. F1 traded that for hideous Sao Paulo. Flat, ugly and dangerous. Kinda like moving an event from Seattle to Detroit.
    [ ]Futsal- Brazilian indoor soccer.
    [ ]American football- NFL is popular here. Alot of games shown on ESPN. I see alot of NFL and even NCAA gear on the street.

I go to a couple UFC events a year, with at least one being in Vegas. I sat next to a guy who flew in from Brazil a couple years ago. He said MMA is huge there. Not just watching, but participating. Any UFC event, it doesn't matter where, if there is a high profile bout involving a Brazilian, there are Brazil flags all over the arena.

Reaction Score
Usually I am disappointed when I shell out 59.99 for a UFC card, but this card was fantastic. I have to credit Ronda Rousey, she knows how to promote a fight. Looks like she is going to take the Tito Ortiz angle. Smart move. And she is an unbelievable athlete. Some of those take downs were amazing.

Travis Browne is a tough dude. Those elbows were nasty.

I am looking forward to a Machida-Wiedman fight.

Reaction Score
OMG.. gross.. just watched on youtube....my God... Praying that he recovers and is able to walk normally the rest of his life is way more important...

Reaction Score
OMG.. gross.. just watched on youtube....my God... Praying that he recovers and is able to walk normally the rest of his life is way more important...

It was horrible to watch. You could here his leg snapping as it hit Weidman's knee. I felt horrible for Silva, he looked to be in complete agony and shock as he was on the canvas. The person who rushed to help kept saying "It's okay, the doctors are taking care of it", as Silva was trying to hold his leg together while screaming.

Silva will go down as the best UFC fighter of all time. I don't think anyone can match the length of his title reign.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I go to a couple UFC events a year, with at least one being in Vegas. I sat next to a guy who flew in from Brazil a couple years ago. He said MMA is huge there. Not just watching, but participating. Any UFC event, it doesn't matter where, if there is a high profile bout involving a Brazilian, there are Brazil flags all over the arena.

Yeah the Brazilians love their fighters. Actually its like that with Rodeo as well. I'm not a big fan, but if you check any tour event there are a lot of Brazilian riders, and they get a lot of support from Brazilian fans. Rodeo is huge in southern Brazil.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Usually I am disappointed when I shell out 59.99 for a UFC card, but this card was fantastic. I have to credit Ronda Rousey, she knows how to promote a fight. Looks like she is going to take the Tito Ortiz angle. Smart move. And she is an unbelievable athlete. Some of those take downs were amazing.

Travis Browne is a tough dude. Those elbows were nasty.

I am looking forward to a Machida-Wiedman fight.
Agreed, this card was really good. Even the free fights were very entertaining. Jim Miller's armbar sub was slick. Rousey's judo is unreal. I can't quite understand why Tate even considered takedowns, distance was her best friend. I was really impressed with Browne as well. I think both Vitor and Machida will be major challenges for Weidman. That weight class is looking stacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom