UEFA trying to add 3rd European competition after CL & EL | The Boneyard

UEFA trying to add 3rd European competition after CL & EL

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ar...ope-s-rans-chance-competing-final-stages.html

Personally, I think this is a disaster and ironic, considering UEFA tried to consolidate its competitions into one 64-team CL three years ago. I would much rather have slight CL and major EL reform.

For the CL: 4th place teams from top 3 countries and runners-up from leagues ranked 13-15 would play in EL instead. Same teams (22) qualify for group stage. 3 spots for non-champions (9 teams [3rd from leagues 4-6 and runners-up from leagues 7-12] fight for three spots over two rounds) and 7 for champions (42 teams [including prospective new member Kosovo]) played over three qualifying rounds instead of four. No 3rd place group stage drop downs.

For the EL: Straight knockout with three qualifying rounds (first round proper starts with 64 clubs). Each country gets two berths (except 1-3 and 13-15 who get an extra as a result of losing one in CL).

Also, I would bring back the Cup Winners Cup. Yes, it could include losing semifinalists, but that could only happen in one of the twelve best nations, and it would only be 3 or 4 a year. Straight knockout with one qualifying round to whittle field down to 32.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69
Top Bottom