UConn's X-Factor | The Boneyard

UConn's X-Factor

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As UConn rolls into the postseason, we have all marveled at the performance of the Core-4. Just need to get Kia back healthy and the Huskies look to be the team to beat, yet again. As great as the Core-4 have been, it can be easy to overlook the slow and steady development of the supporting cast that has the potential for a huge payoff as the Huskies drive for their 12th banner. Geno and his staff have been slowly but surely building depth around the Core-4 that might just be the “X-Factor” during the NCAA tournament.

1. Saniya’s consistent play – For 3 prior seasons as well as the start of this season, Saniya’s inconsistent play was a source of much concern here on the BY. This season Saniya has become the steady guard who can score, play defense and leads the nation in A/TO. At long last, Geno now trusts Saniya, and UConn knows that she will provide consistent play each and every game.

2. Danger blows through the freshman wall– The injuries to Saniya & Kia have been a blessing in disguise, providing Danger with the playing time needed to push through the freshman wall. Her passing has improved and last night we saw her shoot the ball like we hadn’t seen since Baylor. The most promising thing about Danger, is her significant improvement on the defensive end. Early in the season, Danger looked a bit lost on defense. She was tentative, getting beat off the dribble and not knowing where she should be. Over the past few games, Danger looks much quicker on defense. There is no hesitation. Her footwork has improved. She is getting a hand on passes, challenging shots, coming up with loose balls, steals and even rebounds. She is starting to remind me of another exceptionally quick PG that used to play for UConn.

3. Nat’s post defense – Few Husky reserves have been analyzed more than Nat. She has been inconsistent at times and you never quite know what you’re going to get from her. The one aspect of her game that I would argue has been consistently solid is her post defense against opposing BIGS (Baylor, TX, MD, SC). Nat battles hard. Her footwork on defense has improved tremendously and she makes herself big when defending shots and going after rebounds.

4. Kyla’s minutes off the bench – While Kyla has considerable room for improvement, she has gained some measure of trust from Geno to the point where he will put her into games to give Lou, Gabby or Pheesa a few minutes rest. She earned this trust by working hard, and learning to be aggressive at both ends of the court. It is no coincidence that Kyla often gives Lou a rest, because she has become the most confident 3-pt shooter of all the freshmen. Kyla can be a real threat from the arc.

Of all the potential weaknesses that Husky fans worried about at the start of the season, lack of depth has been the most persistent concern IMO. Geno and his staff have done a remarkable job in masking that weakness by squeezing every possible bit of ability out of UConn’s limited bench.

BRING ON THE BIG DANCE!!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I agree with most of the assessments above and I wont go into minutiae where I may not agree. I would just like to say that Crystal Dangerfield looked unbelievably poised and confident, Even more than the Baylor game to me. Probably will get some push back but taking into account her control and knowledge of her team and her better defense, I am convinced this is the case. The only question in my mind is how she would handle a first class defender.

Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield is really good. I've been on the Crystal Dangerfield bandwagon all season. She looks like she doesn't want to wait until next season to make the sophomore jump, and looks fully capable if not comfortable running point for this team already.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Did not want to slight Molly who seems to be a wonderful young lady who works very hard, but at this point in the season it appears that she would be used only in an emergency situation, and in mop up duty.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
“X-Factor” during the NCAA tournament.

1. Saniya’s consistent play – For 3 prior seasons as well as the start of this season, Saniya’s inconsistent play was a source of much concern here on the BY. This season Saniya has become the steady guard who can score, play defense and leads the nation in A/TO. At long last, Geno now trusts Saniya, and UConn knows that she will provide consistent play each and every game.

While I like any warm fuzzies directed at Saniya, I also feel that she should not be set aside from the "Core Four" for comments. She has earned, demonstrated, bled and sweated for, or whatever, her full (not provisional, not apprentice) membership status in the Five.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I like any warm fuzzies directed at Saniya, I also feel that she should not be set aside from the "Core Four" for comments. She has earned, demonstrated, bled and sweated for, or whatever, her full (not provisional, not apprentice) membership status in the Five.
Agree completely. My intention in listing Saniya was to point out the uncertainty that surrounded her coming into the season.

Reaction Score
Great post (as usual), oldude. Love especially your insightful analysis of Natalie. And much relieved from the title of your thread that it didn't include yet another discussion of Lou's shooting! Oh paleeze. Lou will be Lou, no matter how many millions of words we write about her.

Reaction Score
As UConn rolls into the postseason, we have all marveled at the performance of the Core-4. Just need to get Kia back healthy and the Huskies look to be the team to beat, yet again. As great as the Core-4 have been, it can be easy to overlook the slow and steady development of the supporting cast that has the potential for a huge payoff as the Huskies drive for their 12th banner. Geno and his staff have been slowly but surely building depth around the Core-4 that might just be the “X-Factor” during the NCAA tournament.

2. Danger blows through the freshman wall– The injuries to Saniya & Kia have been a blessing in disguise, providing Danger with the playing time needed to push through the freshman wall. Her passing has improved and last night we saw her shoot the ball like we hadn’t seen since Baylor. The most promising thing about Danger, is her significant improvement on the defensive end. Early in the season, Danger looked a bit lost on defense. She was tentative, getting beat off the dribble and not knowing where she should be. Over the past few games, Danger looks much quicker on defense. There is no hesitation. Her footwork has improved. She is getting a hand on passes, challenging shots, coming up with loose balls, steals and even rebounds. She is starting to remind me of another exceptionally quick PG that used to play for UConn.

3. Nat’s post defense – Few Husky reserves have been analyzed more than Nat. She has been inconsistent at times and you never quite know what you’re going to get from her. The one aspect of her game that I would argue has been consistently solid is her post defense against opposing BIGS (Baylor, TX, MD, SC). Nat battles hard. Her footwork on defense has improved tremendously and she makes herself big when defending shots and going after rebounds.

4. Kyla’s minutes off the bench – While Kyla has considerable room for improvement, she has gained some measure of trust from Geno to the point where he will put her into games to give Lou, Gabby or Pheesa a few minutes rest. She earned this trust by working hard, and learning to be aggressive at both ends of the court. It is no coincidence that Kyla often gives Lou a rest, because she has become the most confident 3-pt shooter of all the freshmen. Kyla can be a real threat from the arc.

Of all the potential weaknesses that Husky fans worried about at the start of the season, lack of depth has been the most persistent concern IMO. Geno and his staff have done a remarkable job in masking that weakness by squeezing every possible bit of ability out of UConn’s limited bench.

I agree with Nat's Defense against BIGS--smalls are her problem. Kyla's improvement has been significant--and needed. Saniya's amazing steady, you can count on me boss, play. She is not afraid to shoot the 3, as she once was or to attack the basket.
Dangerfield has become the Danger I expected--and she continues to improve. She is not afraid to score, dishes like the best, her T.O's in the FLA game were ZERO with 9 (?) assists?? Is that a point guard ??
I suggest that since we are pretty sure what we shall normally get from the Core 4 or 5 ---Nat, Klya, Dangerfield may at the end of the NCAA's , however it comes out, have been the X factor. In the Fla game Kyla's play --she looked like she belonged--knew where to be and what to do--and scored.
My biggest disappointment is Molly--she should have been the Kyla in the FLA game--she rarely ever tries to shoot--her defense is much better--her turnovers are indescribably. I had great expectations and hopes.

Reaction Score
Nice to single out the players who usually go relatively uncelebrated. I just want to add that Butler's passing into the post has been exceptional. In fact, the players (especially Gabby and Lou) who consistently get the ball to Pheesa through the tiniest of cracks (including Natalie), provide for me the biggest wow moments watching the team play. It's certainly one of the several reasons that Collier has had so much success. Saniya has been a life-saver, Dangerfield has stepped in under duress and done well. Kyla, for whom I had such high hopes, is bedeviled by a lack of speed, the same problem that stifled Courtney Ekmark's evolution. Speed cannot be learned. Not sure how much play time Butler, Irwin, and Bent will get next year, but their collective contributions this year should not be minimized.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Great post (as usual), oldude. Love especially your insightful analysis of Natalie. And much relieved from the title of your thread that it didn't include yet another discussion of Lou's shooting! Oh paleeze. Lou will be Lou, no matter how many millions of words we write about her.

I think the analysis re Natalie is spot on as well.

The pros and cons of Natalie`s game have been analyzed, picked apart, criticized, praised, etc. quite a bit on the Boneyard. Maybe even more than Lou`s shooting? :)

Reaction Score

All great points. But what I fear most in the up coming tournament is the Referee's whistle. Our big three must stay out of foul trouble. Cyrstal looked very good yesterday so I feel our three guards should be ok.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

I was just contemplating the inclusion of Saniya into the Core4. She has earned it. I thought of them as Force5. The Fujita scale is used to measure the intensity of tornados. Force 5 or simply F5 represents the most devastating of tornados which seems appropriate for UCONN. Just ask their opponents. If Crystal continues to improve there could be a Force6. In any case Saniya should be included.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was just contemplating the inclusion of Saniya into the Core4. She has earned it. I thought of them as Force5. The Fujita scale is used to measure the intensity of tornados. Force 5 or simply F5 represents the most devastating of tornados which seems appropriate for UCONN. Just ask their opponents. If Crystal continues to improve there could be a Force6. In any case Saniya should be included.
I believe an F5 hurricane tops out at 318 mph. So by suggesting that we add Saniya & Danger to the Core-4 to create an F6 force of nature, you are contemplating something never before seen in nature, a storm so fierce that it would devastate anything in its path.

Now that would definitely be bad for women's basketball. ;)

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Kyla isn't "quick," but neither is she slow. She gets up and down the floor in time to be in position. That's all that is required of her at this point. Her run isn't as graceful as Gabby or Phees, but she isn't the same body type as those two. Having a 6'2" kid who can push in the low blocks and get a few shots to go down from the arc...that's a good contrib.

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree with you more.

How about the Committee? It seems any of the starters can lead the offense in any given game.

Reaction Score

Nice Analysis.

Just a comment on Crystal. Offensively, I think she's going to be a special point guard. We're seeing more and more flashes and I am really looking forward to her maturing. I know I'm nick-picking but . . . I think she's getting better defensively out on the perimeter but the concern I have is when she has to defend in the paint.

Do you think it's just a matter of gaining more experience and learning how to defend against taller players or will this be an issue going forward?

Reaction Score
Sorry but no idea what you're talking about re Kyla. She got 7 minutes in a 28 point win. And Geno tightens his rotation even more during the tourney. She will not be seen in the NCAAs except during mop up time.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nice Analysis.

Just a comment on Crystal. Offensively, I think she's going to be a special point guard. We're seeing more and more flashes and I am really looking forward to her maturing. I know I'm nick-picking but . . . I think she's getting better defensively out on the perimeter but the concern I have is when she has to defend in the paint.

Do you think it's just a matter of gaining more experience and learning how to defend against taller players or will this be an issue going forward?
Ozimoto is correct. There's not a lot you can do when you get buried in the paint and you're only 5'5". Even Mo would occasionally end up under the basket guarding a big, and there wasn't much she could do.

The great thing about UConn is how well they switch not only on ball screens, but off the ball on secondary switches. Next time you watch a Husky game. Watch the Huskies call out and execute secondary switches off the ball. So if Danger gets caught in the lane with a big, Lou, Pheesa or Gabby will call out a switch taking the Big and passing a guard or wing off to Danger.

Watching all the switches that take place in an almost seamless fashion when UConn is on defense is a thing of beauty.

Reaction Score
Sorry but no idea what you're talking about re Kyla. She got 7 minutes in a 28 point win. And Geno tightens his rotation even more during the tourney. She will not be seen in the NCAAs except during mop up time.

Well then, I guess her Mom & Dad don't have to waste time watching any of the games.

Reaction Score
Speed cannot be learned.
While working for a little Stamford weekly paper, I watched several local kids learn to run faster with some good coaching. Craig Austrie came to UConn with a fast one-directional lope and little explosion. Someone at UConn got him to shorten his stride and cut nicely. UHart's Diana Delva went through a clinical speed program in Stamford and got a good 10% faster between her sophomore and senior years of HS. Potential speed can be developed even if a kid does not know on his/her own how to run.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
While working for a little Stamford weekly paper, I watched several local kids learn to run faster with some good coaching. Craig Austrie came to UConn with a fast one-directional lope and little explosion. Someone at UConn got him to shorten his stride and cut nicely. UHart's Diana Delva went through a clinical speed program in Stamford and got a good 10% faster between her sophomore and senior years of HS. Potential speed can be developed even if a kid does not know on his/her own how to run.
Yes your rate of speed can be improved. But no matter how much improvement you make, if you ain't fast to begin with you never will never be fast.

Reaction Score
Nice Analysis.

In terms of all around play, I think the last game was her best yet. Definitely did NOT look like a freshman. If she can carry that forward we're really going to have something special.

Reaction Score
Nice to single out the players who usually go relatively uncelebrated. I just want to add that Butler's passing into the post has been exceptional. In fact, the players (especially Gabby and Lou) who consistently get the ball to Pheesa through the tiniest of cracks (including Natalie), provide for me the biggest wow moments watching the team play. It's certainly one of the several reasons that Collier has had so much success. Saniya has been a life-saver, Dangerfield has stepped in under duress and done well. Kyla, for whom I had such high hopes, is bedeviled by a lack of speed, the same problem that stifled Courtney Ekmark's evolution. Speed cannot be learned. Not sure how much play time Butler, Irwin, and Bent will get next year, but their collective contributions this year should not be minimized.

Though I agree that you have a point about Kyla's speed, I disagree that speed can't be learned. Every one has a physical limitation when it comes to speed, but coaching can certainly bring you closer to your limit. She may never be a sprinter; she doesn't have the build for it, but if she's coached and pushed (does that ever happen on a UCONN team?) I suspect she has a big upside that is yet to be taken advantage of.

Reaction Score
I don't think Kyla needs to be "pushed". She's pretty incentivized to improve. I don't think it's speed she'll get, but quickness. Some of that will come naturally when she starts to play again instinctively, as she did in high school, once she doesn't have to think so much about the complexities of UConn offense and defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom