UConn's Susan Herbst Loving Attention Two Final Fours Can Bring | The Boneyard

UConn's Susan Herbst Loving Attention Two Final Fours Can Bring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On the eve of a great weekend of her administration, UConn President Susan Herbst said Thursday playing for dual national championships represent a great opportunity for the university.
"Our marketing and communications people are all over this," she said. "We have advertising initiatives going on in Dallas. We are asking people, through the governor's office, that people wear their school colors. We are working closely with so many journalists, taking a lot more calls than we might normally from media outlets.
"This is a major initiative of mine. I have been working on it since I arrived. Now I have the right people in place in leadership roles to carry this out. When you are a winner, you have the chance to tell your story. So many universities have wonderful stories to tell, but don't have the athletics to help get them the aperture."

"We are taking advantage of every opportunity we have, like at Madison Square Garden last weekend. Fairfield County? New York City? We are New York's college team," Herbst said. "I don't know that it could be any more evident than it was in the Garden [at the NCAA men's regional last weekend]. We had a lot going on there, as well, last weekend [marketing initiatives].

"As an academic, worrying about the research mission and development of UConn, you cannot buy the kind of media we get through athletics. It's true for Michigan. It is true for Ohio State. It is true for all the great places. They would not trade [athletic accomplishment] for anything. This is our front porch in a sports-minded country.

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-uconn-men-women-final-four-0404-20140403,0,3139762.story

Reaction Score
On the eve of a great weekend of her administration, UConn President Susan Herbst said Thursday playing for dual national championships represent a great opportunity for the university.
"Our marketing and communications people are all over this," she said. "We have advertising initiatives going on in Dallas. We are asking people, through the governor's office, that people wear their school colors. We are working closely with so many journalists, taking a lot more calls than we might normally from media outlets.
"This is a major initiative of mine. I have been working on it since I arrived. Now I have the right people in place in leadership roles to carry this out. When you are a winner, you have the chance to tell your story. So many universities have wonderful stories to tell, but don't have the athletics to help get them the aperture."

"We are taking advantage of every opportunity we have, like at Madison Square Garden last weekend. Fairfield County? New York City? We are New York's college team," Herbst said. "I don't know that it could be any more evident than it was in the Garden [at the NCAA men's regional last weekend]. We had a lot going on there, as well, last weekend [marketing initiatives].

"As an academic, worrying about the research mission and development of UConn, you cannot buy the kind of media we get through athletics. It's true for Michigan. It is true for Ohio State. It is true for all the great places. They would not trade [athletic accomplishment] for anything. This is our front porch in a sports-minded country.

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-uconn-men-women-final-four-0404-20140403,0,3139762.story

This is exactly what we needed to be kicked into high gear for an entire month from the moment that Dave Teggart connected on that 51yd FG against USF in December 2010 until January 1, 2011.

I hope both the men and women get through the basketball national semifinals to the national finals, and I can't wait until our football program gets back to a New Year's Day bowl game.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Well said by her. I sense a little of Coach D's enthusiasm rubbing off on her, particularly the NYC commentary. It charged me up a little. I also like the choice of universities she grouped us and our accomplishments with. Brilliant and hopefully gives us insight into where she'd like to be. Hopefully Delany appreciates the free pub she gave him.

Reaction Score
Even though she went to Duke ,every one of her moves points to the B1G . Maybe she was turned off the ACC's Louisville decision. From an academic viewpoint that had to really upset her.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It's really a shame we didn't have all of this in place in 2011 but eh, I really do think we are on Delany's radar. Tough not to think that.

Reaction Score
I won't be surprised to find out 2-3 years from now that she was trying to give us the hint that we were going to the B1G but we were too insecure to take it.

Reaction Score
I won't be surprised to find out 2-3 years from now that she was trying to give us the hint that we were going to the B1G but we were too insecure to take it.
I can only get kicked in the nuts so many times before I become insecure about it. Yup, I walk around with my legs crossed when it comes to conference realignment.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
And we should play this for all its worth!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Yeah but I have high level access and she's holding people to such high standards that people talk bad about her at the water cooler. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
It's really a shame we didn't have all of this in place in 2011 but eh, I really do think we are on Delany's radar. Tough not to think that.

I agree. I get the sense that Delany is in our corner, but he probably needs to sell us to others in the B1G. Last weekend helps make the sell a little easier, as will AAU status when it comes.

Not having a partner to join with could be a problem, but maybe not. Isn't the ACC try to get the NCAA to change a rule regarding divisional set up? If the rule is changed that could allow for the conferences to have an odd number of teams and still have a conference championship game. That opens the door for a potential ACC or B1G invite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom