UConn's Samuel excels running offense, disrupting on defense | The Boneyard

UConn's Samuel excels running offense, disrupting on defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good to see , the more minutes he can pltay at the point ,under control, the better not only this team will be but next years team as well. He actually has legitimate passing instincts,however his success last year at slashing changed his focus.
KO is right on the money with his use.
Now if KO can only make RP into a serviceable PG ,that would be huge for us and his future.
It took three years to rain in RB so with KO nothing is impossible.

Reaction Score
UCONN missing piece for world title in 2016: an ape wonder of the world, a big "shot," a biggeee man on campus, a Jack Wayne Sikma profiler

Seeeeeeeeeeeeee aaaaaaaaatle suuuuuuuuuuu per sonnnnnics

Reaction Score
Jack Sikma - a name i haven't heard in a long time.

I forget what team he was playing on when he had that horrible knee injury but it's one of the lasting memories I had of him.

Reaction Score
"Circle action"-- the sooner guys like purv hamilton and samuel become effective in this heavy picknroll offense the faster we will look like a good a team. All three need to be productive coming off screens with/without the rock. no more over penetrating, move the rock at the sight of help for an open shot. There aren't a lot of motion cuts within KO's offense so the guards need to use their talent level to find open looks a la last year.

Reaction Score
"Circle action"-- the sooner guys like purv hamilton and samuel become effective in this heavy picknroll offense the faster we will look like a good a team. All three need to be productive coming off screens with/without the rock. no more over penetrating, move the rock at the sight of help for an open shot. There aren't a lot of motion cuts within KO's offense so the guards need to use their talent level to find open looks a la last year.
Purvis is getting his game legs back under him, and DHam, I think it has been sufficiently demonstrated, is a good learner of the game. I say give these two another month or so and those two will be moving a lot better, and the offense will be looking good in the areas you mention.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, to be effective in the pick and roll offense you must be able to knock down the shot at the top of the key and elbows.
Having said that I like Samuel for his toughness - there is always a place in a game for a guy like him.
I still say and JC agreed his incident in the Louisville post game line helped turn the season around and he went after Duke guys when the game was lost and they eventually took him out for that - I accept that in war.

Reaction Score
Good to see , the more minutes he can pltay at the point ,under control, the better not only this team will be but next years team as well. He actually has legitimate passing instincts,however his success last year at slashing changed his focus.
KO is right on the money with his use.
Now if KO can only make RP into a serviceable PG ,that would be huge for us and his future.
It took three years to rain in RB so with KO nothing is impossible.

Not sure why we need RP to be a PG ever? He has no natural PG game so I doubt KO can create the miracle on this one but if he's a solid 2 we're good!

Reaction Score
Not sure why we need RP to be a PG ever? He has no natural PG game so I doubt KO can create the miracle on this one but if he's a solid 2 we're good!
Maybe w don't but he does to go forward.it certainly can't hurt.us either.
If he goes forward its helps us.in recruiting.
The player he reminds me of is Jerome Dyson. Very similar skill sets.
RP is a little better athlete and JD probably had a better shot ,neither had instinctive PG skills. Decision making was similar.
When Jerome finally saw the NBA it was as a point because the 2 at the pro level is usually a lights out shooter. It took him years to learn the job but he never had KO.
He has some time to work with him.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, to be effective in the pick and roll offense you must be able to knock down the shot at the top of the key and elbows.
Having said that I like Samuel for his toughness - there is always a place in a game for a guy like him.
I still say and JC agreed his incident in the Louisville post game line helped turn the season around and he went after Duke guys when the game was lost and they eventually took him out for that - I accept that in war.

Rajon Rondo says you are wrong

Reaction Score
Come on people, the thread is about Samuel and no one else. Can we at least give him some attention before railroading this thread?

With that said, Samuel is not a liability with the ball or without it. His defense is his specialty. The last game he hit a shot, funny thing is that when he took the jumper I was "no, no, no, YES!!". If he develops that part of his game he will be a solid 4 year player, one we will later on realize that we are lucky to have him.

He will be our future glue guy, whether he starts or not.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Samuel is sort of a poor man's Taleik Brown, he's not far off from where Brown was at the same stage of their college careers. Taleik had a better handle and better lateral quickness.

Reaction Score
TSam will turn out to be a real good Husky. He will be a guy off the bench that will give the defense energy and hopefully the offense some stability when needed. He did that last year as a frosh and has shown signs of getting back there as we speak this year. If he's asked to do more than that at any point in the next 2 1/2 years we will have suffered a bad injury or just plain suffered on the recruiting trail. He can't be the full time go-to PG for this program unless he is surrounded by 4 great scorers.

But he doesn't have to be that guy to have the respect of the fan who knows how important the pieces of the championship puzzles are. He is a key to our program for 2 1/2 years now, enjoy his game there's not a lot of real solid 4 year players left who stay put!

Reaction Score
Purvis is NOT a PG and never will be. In fact his handle is marginal as a 2. He brings tremendous athleticism to the floor and if he can be consistent from the outside, we have a star on our hands. We already know what he can do as a slasher.

Reaction Score
?? if we land Dorsey, Newman and/or Stone T Sam and Facey won't even see the court in critical spots.

Adams
Dorsey/Newman
D Ham
Stone
brimah

That is a stud lineup.

TSam will turn out to be a real good Husky. He will be a guy off the bench that will give the defense energy and hopefully the offense some stability when needed. He did that last year as a frosh and has shown signs of getting back there as we speak this year. If he's asked to do more than that at any point in the next 2 1/2 years we will have suffered a bad injury or just plain suffered on the recruiting trail. He can't be the full time go-to PG for this program unless he is surrounded by 4 great scorers.

But he doesn't have to be that guy to have the respect of the fan who knows how important the pieces of the championship puzzles are. He is a key to our program for 2 1/2 years now, enjoy his game there's not a lot of real solid 4 year players left who stay put!

Reaction Score
?? if we land Dorsey, Newman and/or Stone T Sam and Facey won't even see the court in critical spots.

Adams
Dorsey/Newman
D Ham
Stone
brimah

That is a stud lineup.

You can't disregard what TSam brings to the table and the ceiling on Facey hasn't been reached. No one knows but I do know you can't make that statement right now as both are key pieces to the next 2 1/2 years.

Reaction Score
I don't know on T Sam, hopefully he can be a solid backup the next few years.

Facey i don't expect much, he really has no skills and is undersized as a 4. He's an energy guy, love his hustle. He shouldn't and would never see action on an elite team.

You can't disregard what TSam brings to the table and the ceiling on Facey hasn't been reached. No one knows but I do know you can't make that statement right now as both are key pieces to the next 2 1/2 years.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm very bullish on T-Sam; the jury is still out on him, but I feel pretty confident in saying he's going to start by his Senior year at the latest and he'll be very, very good for us.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I don't think landing Dorsey and Newman is likely or even possible. Get one, don't get the other. But I wish we had that problem.
I think TSam will be a valuable role player for us like he was at the end of last year.

Reaction Score
Why, you think Adams is one and done?

I'm very bullish on T-Sam; the jury is still out on him, but I feel pretty confident in saying he's going to start by his Senior year at the latest and he'll be very, very good for us.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Why, you think Adams is one and done?

I think with Terrence's defense, and the way I see his offense progressing, it's going to be hard to keep him on the bench by his Senior year. Jalen will likely have the same "problem" that same season, so it's likely both start that year. If Purvis is still around, we'll be pretty stacked at the guard position.

Reaction Score
Yes, land either and then maybe Purvis will play some 1 too. If that is the case I don't see any way T Sam plays much.

Same if we land Stone for Facey and frankly even if we don't I'd expect Enoch or Rubin to beat him out next year.

I don't think landing Dorsey and Newman is likely or even possible. Get one, don't get the other. But I wish we had that problem.
I think TSam will be a valuable role player for us like he was at the end of last year.

Reaction Score
He's shooting 32%, 64% FT, hasn't hit a 3 ever at UConn, has more TOs than assists this year. yes, his offense is surging.

I think with Terrence's defense, and the way I see his offense progressing, it's going to be hard to keep him on the bench by his Senior year. Jalen will likely have the same "problem" that same season, so it's likely both start that year. If Purvis is still around, we'll be pretty stacked at the guard position.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Yes, land either and then maybe Purvis will play some 1 too. If that is the case I don't see any way T Sam plays much.

Same if we land Stone for Facey and frankly even if we don't I'd expect Enoch or Rubin to beat him out next year.

I spent a while trying to figure out who this Rubin player was and how did I lose track of him.:D.

If Stone comes, Facey is the back-up power forward.. Enoch needs to develop. Lubin does not have the potential Facey has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom