UConn's Rodney Purvis to Honor Tyrek Coger | The Boneyard

UConn's Rodney Purvis to Honor Tyrek Coger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really like Rodney and I love the idea of him changing him number to honor his fallen friend. One question I have though is that he said he chose to wear #15, the same number that is retired under Kemba Walker. Would the program make an exception?

For me, I have no problem at all with it because it is for something that's greater than basketball

Sorry for your loss Rodney

Reaction Score
I really like Rodney and I love the idea of him changing him number to honor his fallen friend. One question I have though is that he said he chose to wear #15, the same number that is retired under Kemba Walker. Would the program make an exception?

For me, I have no problem at all with it because it is for something that's greater than basketball

I don't believe the numbers of the players on the wall are actually retired, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Reaction Score
I don't believe the numbers of the players on the wall are actually retired, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Ah, I didn't realize that was the case, thanks for clearing that up

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Ah, I didn't realize that was the case, thanks for clearing that up
Not enough numbers to retire them. Too much player turnover in the college game.

Reaction Score
Knew he was a friend of Rodney's but didn't know they were family. Rodney is a great guy, hope he has a tremendous senior season to honor his brother.

Reaction Score
Knew he was a friend of Rodney's but didn't know they were family. Rodney is a great guy, hope he has a tremendous senior season to honor his brother.
UConn’s Rodney Purvis mourns loss of ‘brother’: ‘There’s no getting him back’

Just a few days earlier, Purvis’s close friend, Tyrek Coger, passed away after a workout at Oklahoma State University. Coger was 22.

Biologically, Purvis is an only child. But Coger, who was taken in by Purvis’s mother, Shanda McNair, when he was in eighth grade, was as close as Purvis has ever had to a sibling.

“He lived at my house,” Purvis said on Sunday, shortly before his Pauly Chute Slamm took on Cambyland in a GHPA game. “He was basically like my brother.”

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Purvis previously wore No. 44 in honor of another fallen friend.

"My teammate Detrique Baker passed away in a a car accident a few years back," Purvis said.

LoveMeSomeUC

"My point being" James A. Calhoun
Reaction Score
Ray Allen is already on the wall and UConn doesn't retire numbers...Wane, Thabeet and Oriakhi all wore 34 after Walter Ray was with The Huskies...The highest number a college player can wear is 55 and you cannot go above 5 for any number on the jersey...Really limits the numbers kids can have...At Duke I think they retire the jersey if your a first team all american or national player of the year...

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Numbers arent technically retired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member