UConn's "Multiple Defense" Strategy | The Boneyard

UConn's "Multiple Defense" Strategy

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Historically, UConn has predominantly played a tough, switching, man-to-man defense. Last season we watched more zone defense from the Huskies than I can remember, but UConn still largely played man defense. After graduating two shut down defenders and NDPOY’s, Geno has clearly changed UConn’s defensive philosophy to employ multiple defensive schemes throughout the game.

I re-watched the Purdue game and, by my count, UConn changed defenses 14 times during the course of the game. UConn employed the following defensive schemes, with the number of times each was used in (parentheses):
  • The Huskies started the game in a soft, 3-player zone press, and fell back into man defense once Purdue broke the press (1).
  • After about 6 minutes, UConn dropped the press and played a match-up zone which looks sort of like a 1-2-2 at first, but then morphs into a 2-3 or even a 2-1-2 (6).
  • On any out of bounds play under UConn’s defensive basket, and at other random times during the game, UConn plays their standard switching man defense (7).
  • At the start of the 2nd qtr, UConn played a trapping man defense, doubling the ball whenever it went into the corner (1).
When asked about his multiple defenses at halftime of the Purdue game, Geno talked about “disrupting” Purdue’s offense. Clearly, the primary goal in playing multiple defenses is to never allow the opposing team to get comfortable running their offense. It’s going to be really interesting to see how well this strategy works against some of the top offensive teams coming up on UConn’s schedule.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not every team can do what UConn is doing effectively. Many teams would prefer to play one base defense well rather than playing multiple defenses poorly. But if you can do what UConn is doing you can change your defense to accommodate the personnel you have on the floor, protect players in foul trouble and stretch an otherwise thin bench.

Reaction Score
The color guy caught that right away. He is obviously not an experienced TV jock, but he knows his basketball. It was kind of refreshing to have guys who usually do men’s games to be at the mic. The comment about passing vs. the bounce, however, only applies to UConn games. The women’s is becoming increasingly more like the men; dribble, pick and roll or pop. Very discouraging.

Reaction Score
With how many defenses we have played & how effective we’ve been this is a testament to not only how good the coaching has been but how smart our players are to be able to adjust so seemlessly. What we lack with size & we make up with IQ & heart. Very encouraged!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This is a great example for all coaches - adapted your defense to your talent. It was really interesting watching Lou call the defense from the backline at times and at the point at other times. Switching defenses is going to cause a lot of teams trouble.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is a great example for all coaches - adapted your defense to your talent. It was really interesting watching Lou call the defense from the backline at times and at the point at other times. Switching defenses is going to cause a lot of teams trouble.
Lou has really taken over Kia’s role to some degree, calling out defenses and making sure everyone is where they are supposed to be.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Historically, UConn has predominantly played a tough, switching, man-to-man defense. Last season we watched more zone defense from the Huskies than I can remember, but UConn still largely played man defense. After graduating two shut down defenders and NDPOY’s, Geno has clearly changed UConn’s defensive philosophy to employ multiple defensive schemes throughout the game.

I re-watched the Purdue game and, by my count, UConn changed defenses 14 times during the course of the game. UConn employed the following defensive schemes, with the number of times each was used in (parentheses):
  • The Huskies started the game in a soft, 3-player zone press, and fell back into man defense once Purdue broke the press (1).
  • After about 6 minutes, UConn dropped the press and played a match-up zone which looks sort of like a 1-2-2 at first, but then morphs into a 2-3 or even a 2-1-2 (6).
  • On any out of bounds play under UConn’s defensive basket, and at other random times during the game, UConn plays their standard switching man defense (7).
  • At the start of the 2nd qtr, UConn played a trapping man defense, doubling the ball whenever it went into the corner (1).
When asked about his multiple defenses at halftime of the Purdue game, Geno talked about “disrupting” Purdue’s offense. Clearly, the primary goal in playing multiple defenses is to never allow the opposing team to get comfortable running their offense. It’s going to be really interesting to see how well this strategy works against some of the top offensive teams coming up on UConn’s schedule.

Against ND, if UConn can disrupt their offensive scheme, more often that not, ND gives the ball to Ogunbowale because she is not afraid to shoot, and can create her own shot.

The key to beating ND is to somehow stop or slow down Arike. She is their leading scorer. She likes to put it up. She takes over 20 shots a game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The switching to man from Lou’s vs. remaining in the zone on Pheesa’s Side was really incredible. To have that work smoothly after only four games is absolutely amazing. This team is way ahead of last year’s in its development, both defensively and offensively, despite starting a Freshman.

Reaction Score
Against ND, if they disrupt their offensive scheme, more often that not, they'll give the ball to Ogunbowale because she is not afraid to shoot, and can create her own shot.

She is good at creating shots; not so good at making them.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Against ND, if they disrupt their offensive scheme, more often that not, they'll give the ball to Ogunbowale because she is not afraid to shoot, and can create her own shot.
I would accept that tradeoff if I were UConn. When ND is running their offense well, they are extremely tough to beat. If Ogunbowale is playing a lot of one on one basketball, I feel much better about UConn's chances.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not every team can do what UConn is doing effectively. Many teams would prefer to play one base defense well rather than playing multiple defenses poorly. But if you can do what UConn is doing you can change your defense to accommodate the personnel you have on the floor, protect players in foul trouble and stretch an otherwise thin bench.

BINGO!!! This is the dynamic that a lot of UConn fans don't understand. Being able to play UConn's multiple defenses correctly is what keeps most freshmen on the bench until they can, which Geno has said takes about a year to learn. Geno won't put them out there if they don't know what they are doing, or where they are suppose to be.

Until they know and can play all of the defenses correctly, they're a liability on the floor. A chain or defense is only as strong as its weakest link (player). All you need is for one player to be out of position, and the defense is broken, and usually results in a basket for their opponent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

Multiple defenses in the same game when run properly can disrupt, as you say. The real issue is getting 11 kids on the same page. Someone has to be the lead to make the change work. Dance troupes do that regularly, i.e, multiple routines. You can bet Geno points that out. Dancers have it easier; they learn much by rote and they don't have to consider the kid attempting to score. All in all "multiple" defenses morphing from one to another takes extreme dedicate and attention to detail a well as t attention to the opponent.

Reaction Score
For 3 years, I have been moaning about UConn's inability to stop the drive. In all close games or in UConn's loss the past two years, the drive to the basket or drive and kick out has worked to some degree. Love how this new defensive strategy seemed to stop the drive, particularly when in a 1-2-2, a zone I haven't seen much of for many years.

Reaction Score
For 3 years, I have been moaning about UConn's inability to stop the drive. In all close games or in UConn's loss the past two years, the drive to the basket or drive and kick out has worked to some degree. Love how this new defensive strategy seemed to stop the drive, particularly when in a 1-2-2, a zone I haven't seen much of for many years.
I have been complaining/commenting on Uconn's inability to stop a good dribble driving scoring team for maybe 10 years. It's not new.
What I like with this team; they seem to be giving other teams fits with the dribble drive.
When Stokes was the back stop few teams drove on Uconn. Kiah Stokes wasn't just beautiful physically but the way she defended the boards was poetry in motion. I didn't complain in those last 2 years but before and after Kiah. Hopefully this "multiple defenses" will take away that weakness.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This is an excellent thread. I am learning a lot from it. Thank you, posters.

See, when we tap into what or who we have here and get back to what we are about, well... that's where we get to talking real basketball. That's what is real. The huff and puff, and doom and gloom, that is nonsense. Talk the game. Can't talk it, step away.

Reaction Score
rather clear that dribble penetration by quick guards has hurt them for awhile. so if they are handling it better(?), how come it's taken so long ?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
rather clear that dribble penetration by quick guards has hurt them for awhile. so if they are handling it better(?), how come it's taken so long ?
Everyone who’s ever played basketball gets beaten off the dribble on occasion. UConn does a better job than most stopping dribble penetration by on-ball defenders moving their feet and off-ball defenders rotating to help.

What UConn does not have, since the graduation of Stewie, is a rim protector. Z never quite became one last year and I think it’s going to take Liv a year or so to learn how to use her length and athleticism to become one.

Reaction Score
Everyone who’s ever played basketball gets beaten off the dribble on occasion. UConn does a better job than most stopping dribble penetration by on-ball defenders moving their feet and off-ball defenders rotating to help.

What UConn does not have, since the graduation of Stewie, is a rim protector. Z never quite became one last year and I think it’s going to take Liv a year or so to learn how to use her length and athleticism to become one.

That’s true, but they do have the capability of switching on all screens, with some decent size to protect against the roll and great quickness to defend the pop. Moreover, as the color guy pointed out (he was good!) Crystal almost never gets screened, which effectively takes away both options whenever someone tries to take her on the bounce. It virtually forces the opposing team to use a secondary ball handler or go into a flex-type offense, which most teams can’t effectively run. The best option for an opponent would seem to be running an offense through a low post, which ND will certainly attempt. Against a zone, though, good luck!

Reaction Score
Against ND, if they disrupt their offensive scheme, more often that not, they'll give the ball to Ogunbowale because she is not afraid to shoot, and can create her own shot. The key to beating ND is to somehow stop or slow down Arike. She takes over 20 shots a game.

I can't help but think that Muffet will instruct them to pound it in down low to capitalize on their height advantage and multiple post options. I fear that UCONN's lack of a true post defender will be exposed.

Reaction Score
Against ND, if they disrupt their offensive scheme, more often that not, they'll give the ball to Ogunbowale because she is not afraid to shoot, and can create her own shot. The key to beating ND is to somehow stop or slow down Arike. She takes over 20 shots a game.
Yes focus all your attention on Arike. Please UCONN do that I’m begging You Geno Please Just focus on Arike. That way Jackie or Bri or Jess or even Marina could go off.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes focus all your attention on Arike. Please UCONN do that I’m begging You Geno Please Just focus on Arike. That way Jackie or Bri or Jess or even Marina could go off.
No need to get cocky IrishTiger. The Irish are defending national champions and they are loaded. UConn will be lucky to stay within 30 in South Bend...:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom