UConn's Jarren Horton is son of former NFL coach. Now he's taking same path: 'Easy choice for him' | The Boneyard

UConn's Jarren Horton is son of former NFL coach. Now he's taking same path: 'Easy choice for him'

Reaction Score

-> Horton grew up immersed in the sport, with fond memories of tagging along with his father Ray, a Super Bowl champion as both a player and coach, to work. Ray spent 10 years in the NFL as a defensive back for the Cincinnati Bengals and Dallas Cowboys, totaling 19 interceptions in 147 games, including five as a rookie in 1983. After retirement he transitioned into coaching. He was with seven different organizations from 1994-2019 and served in a variety of roles, including defensive backs coach, secondary coach, and defensive coordinator. His son, of course, was by his side for much of it, even serving as a ball boy when Ray worked under Bill Cowher and later Mike Tomlin for the Pittsburgh Steelers in the early 2000s.

“I always wanted to be around the facility. When I was younger, I didn’t have anything better to do,” said Jarren, 29. “That for me was awesome. I didn’t know it at the time, but just being at practice and listening to the coaches talk to their players and teach them, I didn’t know what they were talking about but subconsciously I understood it a little more.”

Hanging around the Pittsburgh facility is how he met Lou Spanos, who was the Steelers defensive quality control and assistant linebackers coach. He’d later reunite with Spanos while interning for the Tennessee Titans in 2014, building on a relationship that began long before he jumped into the business. <-

-> Jarren often finds himself leaning on the advice of his father. “There’s a joke among Dick LeBeau coaches, ‘If you’re ever in doubt, blitz them,’ ” Ray said, referring to the Hall of Fame defensive coordinator who mentored Spanos. “It’s one of those idioms. Let your players play, and you never have to worry about the call. That to me is universal coaching 101. When in doubt, as long as you’re sound, you’re good. Allow your players to do what they do best.” <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek
Top Bottom