UConn's Greatest Recruiting Advantage | The Boneyard

UConn's Greatest Recruiting Advantage

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If you’re a top WBB recruit, Storrs, CT is the Gold Standard, by which all other locations are measured: Eleven national championships and counting, countless All-Americans, NPOY’s, DPOY’s, WNBA players and Olympic champions; a wonderful school with a strong academic program in a wonderful environment; the greatest fan base in WBB, 1st class facilities, tremendous media exposure and most importantly Geno Auriemma and the best coaching staff ever assembled.

But I would respectfully suggest that while all these factors are important in the recruiting process, UConn’s single greatest recruiting advantage is the wonderful young ladies on the team. CW wants to play with Danger (who wouldn’t). ONO really enjoyed the time she spent with the other players during her visit a few weeks ago. You keep hearing words like “fun” and “family” when a recruit explains her decision to become a Husky.

It’s easy to see why. UConn recruits smart, talented and highly motivated players. As hard as they work, they always find time to have fun “together” as one of the closest-knit teams I have ever witnessed. Under Geno and surrogate mom, Chris Daily, these young ladies mature as both basketball players and individuals. Each new class of recruits is mentored by those who came before, so Stewie takes Lou under her wing and Lou looks out for MW and everybody keeps “paying it forward” year after year.

So as much as we were somewhat surprised by CW and ONO’s decisions, we really shouldn’t have been. These two young ladies are smart, talented and highly motivated. I’m sure they felt right at home with the players on the team, knowing they would fit right in and wanting to be part of one of the most impressive groups of young women in the country.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I do not agree that that is the biggest difference. I think there are probably multiple programs that have strong family environments and in general, the players who make it into the top programs are great girls who are hard workers that are extremely motivated and understand the need for building teamwork etc.

I am probably projecting my own biases but I think the biggest advantage we have among the true elite (within the top 5 for example) recruits are.

1) A coaching staff that knows everything about basketball and knows how to squeeze the most out of the most elite players by pushing them rather than coddling them and deconstructing and reconstructing their game as needed.

2) Seeing the efficiency and uniqueness of their practices.

3) Being around players that are better than they are now so that they have a clear vision of how much they need too improve.

4) Playing a very beautiful brand of basketball which comes through when seeing these games live.

5) A realistic chance of winning NC and also getting publicity when they do emerge which can only help their professional prospects.

6) Familiarity with other elite players which may have been teammates in USA teams etc. I agree this was very helpful for this years crop.

7) The aura of Geno. I think this does help alot.

Of course the family environment needs to be there as a minimum but imho, what really attracts the generational players is the environment built up to improve as players

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I do not agree that that is the biggest difference. I think there are probably multiple programs that have strong family environments and in general, the players who make it into the top programs are great girls who are hard workers that are extremely motivated and understand the need for building teamwork etc.

I am probably projecting my own biases but I think the biggest advantage we have among the true elite (within the top 5 for example) recruits are.

1) A coaching staff that knows everything about basketball and knows how to squeeze the most out of the most elite players by pushing them rather than coddling them and deconstructing and reconstructing their game as needed.

3) Being around players that are better than they are now so that they have a clear vision of how much they need too improve.

4) Playing a very beautiful brand of basketball which comes through when seeing these games live.

5) A realistic chance of winning NC and also getting publicity when they do emerge which can only help their professional prospects.

6) Familiarity with other elite players which may have been teammates in USA teams etc. I agree this was very helpful for this years crop.

Of course the family environment needs to be there as a minimum but imho, what really attracts the generational players is the environment built up to improve as players
I can't disagree with your analysis, but when I look at ONO's decision in particular, one trip to UConn a few weeks ago, and a decision on Monday that even seemed a surprise to Geno. She seems to have very carefully considered all aspects of her decision and elected to head north to a school a long way from home. In discussing her decision, she focuses on the "family environment." Also worth mentioning is the apparent influence of Maya, as a fellow Georgian who has known ONO for several years.

Reaction Score
If you’re a top WBB recruit, Storrs, CT is the Gold Standard, by which all other locations are measured: Eleven national championships and counting, countless All-Americans, NPOY’s, DPOY’s, WNBA players and Olympic champions; a wonderful school with a strong academic program in a wonderful environment; the greatest fan base in WBB, 1st class facilities, tremendous media exposure and most importantly Geno Auriemma and the best coaching staff ever assembled.

But I would respectfully suggest that while all these factors are important in the recruiting process, UConn’s single greatest recruiting advantage is the wonderful young ladies on the team. CW wants to play with Danger (who wouldn’t). ONO really enjoyed the time she spent with the other players during her visit a few weeks ago. You keep hearing words like “fun” and “family” when a recruit explains her decision to become a Husky.

It’s easy to see why. UConn recruits smart, talented and highly motivated players. As hard as they work, they always find time to have fun “together” as one of the closest-knit teams I have ever witnessed. Under Geno and surrogate mom, Chris Daily, these young ladies mature as both basketball players and individuals. Each new class of recruits is mentored by those who came before, so Stewie takes Lou under her wing and Lou looks out for MW and everybody keeps “paying it forward” year after year.

So as much as we were somewhat surprised by CW and ONO’s decisions, we really shouldn’t have been. These two young ladies are smart, talented and highly motivated. I’m sure they felt right at home with the players on the team, knowing they would fit right in and wanting to be part of one of the most impressive groups of young women in the country.
So what kind of players does ND, South Carolina, Duke, and Stanford recruit? I don't think that's much of a factor. The biggest factor is Geno and his staff. They have a more down to earth straightforward approach to recruitment, and I think many high school kids appreciate that because they're not stupid and can see through the BS. I think some schools come off as more superficial in their approach because they need to hide weaknesses in their offerings. Geno basically says here is what we have to offer, and if you want to join us great, if not we'll keep winning without you. He doesn't try to sell the academics as being on par with a Stanford or Duke, or try to lure a women's basketball recruit with football weekends. Instead recruits have to settle for sleeping in Stewie's bed for a night or two, and Sunday brunch at Geno's house with the coaching staff before hitting the airport on their way out of town. Perhaps that's really where the deals are sealed.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I can't disagree with your analysis, but when I look at ONO's decision in particular, one trip to UConn a few weeks ago, and a decision on Monday that even seemed a surprise to Geno. She seems to have very carefully considered all aspects of her decision and elected to head north to a school a long way from home. In discussing her decision, she focuses on the "family environment." Also worth mentioning is the apparent influence of Maya, as a fellow Georgian who has known ONO for several years.

Of course that resonates with some players more than others and the familty environment and good social vibes needs to be there but I think the other issue's I delineated cannot be far from her mind and must have been part of her decision. I also think that some players may find it hard to verbalize these other motivations in public venues. Anyhow, the more reasons we have for recruits to come here, the better. :D

HGN

Reaction Score

Oldude , I would add some things , but you about covered it all.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The biggest recruiting advantages UConn have are

a) UConn wins an ungodly amount
b) Geno is THE living legend of women's basketball coaching.

I'm sure the players are indeed wonderful young women and they do seem to all get along well. So the "culture" of the program is likely part of the appeal. But I don't think it's why UConn is getting #1 recruits year after year.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I've spent a fair amount of time thinking about the phenomenon called UConn's WBB and what has lead to its great success and even separation from everyone else in D1 women's basketball. I always come back around to a simple answer: Geno Auriemma. Yes, having CD has helped tremendously; a person of common mind and philosophy, who enjoys working up the details that Geno can't stand, freeing him to be the basketball genius that he is.

It helped that the men's program grew to eminence at the same time Geno was building his program. Gampel wasn't built for Geno. It helped that CPTV saw a niche to exploit. It helped that Connecticut had no professional sports franchises (after the hockey team slunk away).

But the core of this thing is Geno. There was this recruit in the early 90s who was the prize all the top ten teams were gunning for. A person who had educators for parents and wanted a challenging academic institution for their daughter. She had a conviction that she wanted to be part of Geno's program because he was so eminently human and easy to talk to. She didn't get the feeling that it was work for him to have a conversation with here. 26 years later the star of another program scandalized a fan nation by declaring "he's so dope" and how she could see talking with him for hours and how he had insights about how these young women could grow both on and off the basketball court.

Now, of course, it is this essential relatable quality that has permeated the program and impacted the lives of so many that it has become the core of what makes UConn UConn. It manifests itself in many ways, including, for example, the tight knit nature of the team and the way players both support each other and hold each other to account. It is so much the core of it all that recruits sense it very fast. Oh, they can't put their finger on it. They say, when asked, and they all get asked by the media, that they can't describe it, but it's different, it's just different. The closest they come is to use the word "family", it feels like family. It's inclusive, nurturing, and honest/accountable/challenging all at once; that's what you expect from family, right?

Anyway, that is where I always come out.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"If you read enough war memoirs, or if you have seen “Saving Private Ryan” or “Platoon” (and you have), then you know that soldiers on the front lines do not fight for their country. They fight for one another. They fight to survive. The University of Connecticut won the women’s national basketball championship on Tuesday night, the school’s eighth national title in the past 18 years. Every woman who has been involved in a Huskies national title, beginning in 1995, will tell you, if they are being honest, that they did not play for Connecticut. They did not play for the sold-out throngs at Gampel Pavilion or the Hartford Civic Center (now the X-Cel Center), a raving fan base that is a unique phenomenon in women’s college hoops.
They do not even necessarily play for one another. No. They play –and they win –for a reason far more primal and important than that.
They played to prove Geno Auriemma wrong."

The Great Manipulator. Geno Auriemma. UCONN Women's Basketball

"If you are looking for a secret to Geno’s success, I have bad news for you: it is not a recipe that you can copy because you most likely are not Geno Auriemma."

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Everything comes from the top.
Geno first and very foremost. Geno and his coaches and staff. They're responsible for the practices, the very pristine way UConn plays offense and defense, as well as the basketball and team culture; which help lead to the winning. And the winning then leads to the legacy, which -- in turn -- helps draw in a whole new round of talented, smart, hungry players. Quite a virtuous circle.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As mentioned above The "way" Geno & his staff recruit is a huge factor in signing the elite players year after year!
There is no BS handed out to players or their parents. It is very simple if the incoming player works their butts off the possibility of their having success will be increased!
Many of the UCONN WBB alumni say Geno didn't promise anything it was all put on the shoulders of the recruit.
Other schools have tried weird methods to entice the recruit to go to their school. In Ann Strother's case TN had their game board flash photos of Ann through her life from birth and the most recent were doctored to show Ann in a TN uniform. Confetti and flashing lights made it more of a carnival atmosphere than a recruiting trip!
Geno also will not sign a top recruit if the parents are a pain in the butt! The night before signing day Kia Vaughn's Mom called Geno and wanted to discuss her daughter's starting and what she was going to "get"! Geno said to her, "Rutgers needs a Center", and hung up! Kia signed a letter of intent with Rutgers the next day!
If you go back through the years most UCONN players have parents that are low-key and stay way in the background!
In the beginning in 1985 to 1990 Geno & staff would tell the recruits they could be part of something special. Now they let their results speak for themselves!

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
If I may suggest, oldudes perspective is from the heart, eebmg's form the mind. They're both valid but do cause much conflict within and among us.

But you guys already knew that.:D

Reaction Score

Uh oh. I just wrote exactly the same words (though many fewer) in an earlier thread. I am pleased that other Great Minds recognized the important influence of the current (and former) players in providing a magnet for the nation's best wbb talent. ;)

Reaction Score

The aura of Geno
"The aura of Geno"...Hmmm...sounds like somebody's been talking to a certain Hall of Famer that "couldn't guard a chair":p

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
So what kind of players does ND, South Carolina, Duke, and Stanford recruit? I don't think that's much of a factor. The biggest factor is Geno and his staff. They have a more down to earth straightforward approach to recruitment, and I think many high school kids appreciate that because they're not stupid and can see through the BS. I think some schools come off as more superficial in their approach because they need to hide weaknesses in their offerings. Geno basically says here is what we have to offer, and if you want to join us great, if not we'll keep winning without you. He doesn't try to sell the academics as being on par with a Stanford or Duke, or try to lure a women's basketball recruit with football weekends. Instead recruits have to settle for sleeping in Stewie's bed for a night or two, and Sunday brunch at Geno's house with the coaching staff before hitting the airport on their way out of town. Perhaps that's really where the deals are sealed.
I've heard it explained that coaches at other schools tell recruits, "If you come here you can help us win a championship" and Geno says, "If you come here we can help you win a championship."

Reaction Score
A most enjoyable thread.
So what kind of players does ND, South Carolina, Duke, and Stanford recruit?

Everything comes from the top.
Geno first and very foremost. Geno and his coaches and staff. They're responsible for the practices, the very pristine way UConn plays offense and defense, as well as the basketball and team culture; which help lead to the winning. And the winning then leads to the legacy, which -- in turn -- helps draw in a whole new round of talented, smart, hungry players. Quite a virtuous circle.
This does not have the ND stamp I expected. It should have run:
In the beginning there was Geno. He begat the coaches and staff. The coaches begat the practices, the very pristine way UConn plays offense and defense, as well as the basketball and team culture .....

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

b) Geno is THE living legend of women's basketball coaching.

I'm sure the players are indeed wonderful young women and they do seem to all get along well. So the "culture" of the program is likely part of the appeal. But I don't think it's why UConn is getting #1 recruits year after year.
And here we have the two different perspectives on UConn's success. One from a fan, the other from fans of other teams.

The reason for UConn's achievements can be distilled down to "Geno", but is far better said using CocoHusky's acknowledgement of "The Great Manipulator". Thanks Coco for pointing us back toward UConn's future success. Geno is the culture. Geno chooses the players. Geno coaches up these young ladies.

It's Geno. It always has been, as it will be.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And here we have the two different perspectives on UConn's success. One from a fan, the other from fans of other teams.

The reason for UConn's achievements can be distilled down to "Geno", but is far better said using CocoHusky's acknowledgement of "The Great Manipulator". Thanks Coco for pointing us back toward UConn's future success. Geno is the culture. Geno chooses the players. Geno coaches up these young ladies.

It's Geno. It always has been, as it will be.
I agree that it all starts with Geno, and while I get what you’re saying, I don’t think you allocate enough credit to the ladies themselves. After all, it was Geno who said, “The key to getting players to be highly motivated, is to recruit highly motivated players.”

Last season, during the blizzard that kept the coaches home, the players, all by themselves, along with one hearty cameraman from HBO, trudged through the snow to the Werth Center to practice. Not everyone does that, and while Geno has a lot to do with giving direction to the team, the players on the team are ultimately responsible for what they do and how they do it.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I agree that it all starts with Geno, and while I get what you’re saying, I don’t think you allocate enough credit to the ladies themselves. After all, it was Geno who said, “The key to getting players to be highly motivated, is to recruit highly motivated players.”

Last season, during the blizzard that kept the coaches home, the players, all by themselves, along with one hearty cameraman from HBO, trudged through the snow to the Werth Center to practice. Not everyone does that, and while Geno has a lot to do with giving direction to the team, the players on the team are ultimately responsible for what they do and how they do it.
Here you are making my argument. Geno recruits these players.

I forget which coach said this, but to paraphrase, "UConn doesn't get all the good players, they just get the players they want". Geno doesn't recruit just for talent, he recruits for personality, which includes things like the willingness to buy into his philosophy, the willingness to work hard, be coachable, disposition, etc. After that, unlike other coaches, he doesn't have to micromanage off the court stuff. This is part of him being The Grandmaster.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Here you are making my argument. Geno recruits these players.

I forget which coach said this, but to paraphrase, "UConn doesn't get all the good players, they just get the players they want". Geno doesn't recruit just for talent, he recruits for personality, which includes things like the willingness to buy into his philosophy, the willingness to work hard, be coachable, disposition, etc. After that, unlike other coaches, he doesn't have to micromanage off the court stuff. This is part of him being The Grandmaster.
This is a bit of a chicken and egg argument. My original point is that if you’re a talented egg, you really want to hang out with 11 other talented eggs, and probably don’t give as much thought to the chicken. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
My sense is that Geno does what uber successful business enterprises do. They define a vision, develop a strategy , communicate the strategy to all constituents and execute consistently against that strategy. In Genos case, his strategy revolves around a consistent, sustainable culture and he populates the program with coaches, staff and players that totally buy into the culture. The culture includes, team first, hard work, attention to every detail,and as Old Dude pointed out , a family environment. He rarely recruits players that will not thrive in this environment. By all accounts, CW and ONO are great fits for the program, not just due to their athletic skill but largely due to their attitude. The fact that the culture has produced so many championships proves to me that consistency of the program and the coaching staffs uncanny ability to find the right 18 year olds to populate the program are the keys to Genos long term recruiting success.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One other thought on the importance of the current players in the recruiting process. Last season when HBO announced that the Huskies would be the focus of their series March to Madness, I believed that it could only help recruiting. Every serious girls basketball player in MS or HS probably watched all or part of the series. In addition to the basketball scenes, they saw a number of scenes of the players bonding in many different ways, everything from cooking and trivia contests to Tierney trying to show Lou how to milk a cow.

How can a player, as well as their parents, not want to be a part of that environment? I suspect that the recruiting dividends from that series will continue for several recruiting classes to come. I also suspect that this season the Huskies will get the ending right.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Agreed. I think many programs have teams full of wonderful young women. That factor alone doesn't explain UConn's success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom