UConn's Great Guard Tandems | The Boneyard

UConn's Great Guard Tandems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watching some reruns of our great teams and I was thinking of our best tandems. How would you all rate our top 5 combos from the following?

• Kemba/Dyson
  • Tate/Smitty
  • Ben/Taliek
  • Boat/Bazz
  • AJP/Marcus
  • Kemba/Bazz
  • Khalid/Ricky
  • Allen/Ollie
  • AJP/Dyson
  • Doron/Allen
I can't even pick number one. I am partial to Tate/Smitty though. Anyway we definitely are (I hope it stays current) guard U.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sheffer has to be in there too
Thanks Vuce, I had him before but for some reason removed him. Just added. Him and Ray together had one season with only 3 losses and a BE Title. Linky

The list also shows why Boat and now Adams needs a companion. Perhaps Purvis will deliver.

Reaction Score
Watching some reruns of our great teams and I was thinking of our best tandems. How would you all rate our top 5 combos from the following?

• Kemba/Dyson
  • Tate/Smitty
  • Ben/Taliek
  • Boat/Bazz
  • AJP/Marcus
  • Kemba/Bazz
  • Khalid/Ricky
  • Allen/Ollie
  • AJP/Dyson
  • Doron/Allen
I can't even pick number one. I am partial to Tate/Smitty though. Anyway we definitely are (I hope it stays current) guard U.

AJP/Dyson is an interesting one. Price was on fire his last year and Dyson was bringing it.

Khalid and Ricky were winners. Just winners. And the same goes for Boatright and Bazz.

But, for second, I'd have to go for Taliek and Ben at the end of the day. I wouldn't have said so had I not watched part of the Duke 2004 F4 game today, but Ben was as electric as Ray Allen and I give Taliek the nod over Ollie for running things.

Doron and Allen was probably the best

So:

1. Doron/Allen
2. Ben/Taliek
3A. Bazz&Boat
3B. Khalid&Ricky
5. Price/Dyson

Reaction Score
1. Doron/Allen
2. Ben/Taliek
3A. Bazz&Boat
3B. Khalid&Ricky
5. Price/Dyson

Amazing with all the choices Ollie/Allen had the longest and most 'succesful' NBA career and they weren't our best guard tandem and maybe not our top 5. Also very few were AAs. That's why I struggled so much trying to rank them. That's a hell of a statement!

Reaction Score
Amazing with all the choices Ollie/Allen had the longest and most 'succesful' NBA career and they weren't our best guard tandem and maybe not our top 5. Also very few were AAs. That's why I struggled so much trying to rank them. That's a hell of a statement!

Sometimes your athletic skills in college don't translate into a great NBA career. I mean, Ben Gordon's shooting an altheticism are unrivaled. So why the underwhelming NBA career?

Reaction Score
Sometimes your athletic skills in college don't translate into a great NBA career. I mean, Ben Gordon's shooting an altheticism are unrivaled. So why the underwhelming NBA career?
If there was a thread of unstoppable guards (when they are on) Ben would be number one (over Kemba). That would be an easy ranking, at least the top one. Ben was sensational, inside/out and some.

caw

Reaction Score

• Kemba/Dyson
  • Tate/Smitty
  • Ben/Taliek
  • Boat/Bazz
  • AJP/Marcus
  • Kemba/Bazz
  • Khalid/Ricky
  • Allen/Ollie
  • AJP/Dyson
  • Doron/Allen

Were Ollie/Allen really a guard tandem? I have it in my mind that Ollie and Sheffer started in the backcourt while both were at UConn with Allen off the bench as a freshman and as the three as a sophomore, am I just making things up?

Also, AJP and Marcus never actually played together in a game, did they?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Sheffer has to be in there too

Whatever happened to our Israeli pipeline? We had four of 'em, two who were exceptional. That's more hits than we've had in Germany.

Reaction Score
Were Ollie/Allen really a guard tandem? I have it in my mind that Ollie and Sheffer started in the backcourt while both were at UConn with Allen off the bench as a freshman and as the three as a sophomore, am I just making things up?

Also, AJP and Marcus never actually played together in a game, did they?

I remember it the same as you. Ollie was the starting PG and Doron was basically the SG those two years. After Ollie left, Doron took over as the PG and Ray moved to the SG and Ricky became the backup PG as a Frosh.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
When I think of the guard tandem that was the most effective together on the big stage, I come up with Bazz and Boat. Bazz did not start with Kemba and Bazz made a lot of mistakes as well as good plays as a freshman. Bazz and Boat pretty well dominated the other guards in the NCAA tourney. Khalid and Ricky were also very effective together, but Rip was the star on that team. So, Bazz and Boat, best Husky guard tandem.

Reaction Score
Bazz and Boat imo, although it is a very tough call considering how many great guards UConn has had. The way they just dismantled and demoralized back court after back court throughout the tournament and were so damn clutch.... it was a beautiful thing to watch. I had never been more confident in a UConn team going in to big games. After Nova, I really wasn't feeling nervous for our guys the rest of the way. Just knew they had to make plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom