Uconn's Game Plan at ND ?? | The Boneyard

Uconn's Game Plan at ND ??

Reaction Score
We, that includes me, are so full of the starting 5 plus one's winning the ND game we forget that it was the Geno Game play that got the lead that his kids never lost.
I'll allow the "experts" to discuss how Geno formulated and activated the PLAN, I'm too much of a novice.

However what was evident was the amount of time and effort and teaching that went into this game. A lot of effort was expended, I believe, with the question: What do we do if KLS or Napheesa are in foul trouble? Liv Nelson-Odada was a totally different player today. Schooling does that.

Thoughts on Geno's plan?

Reaction Score
I was impressed by how effective his game plan was against their bigger front lines. Turner was really ineffective, and he minimized Shepherd’s damage.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I was impressed by how effective his game plan was against their bigger front lines. Turner was really ineffective, and he minimized Shepherd’s damage.

I’ll buy that, but Shepherd missed a flock of point-blank range plays. Honestly, I don’t think ND played well in any phase, and I’d bet MM agrees. But yeah, we’ve got Geno, and they don’t.

Reaction Score
I’ll buy that, but Shepherd missed a flock of point-blank range plays. Honestly, I don’t think ND played well in any phase, and I’d bet MM agrees. But yeah, we’ve got Geno, and they don’t.
So much talk about her weight loss. She was a big difference maker in last year’s NC—I don’t think her overall game today was as good!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Our effort was fantastic on the boards and unfortunately (or maybe not :)), Colliers fantastic game will be lost under CW's brilliance.

True. But didn’t you think ND’s “want-to factor” on the boards was a little uninspired?

Reaction Score
There was more dribble drive penetration from the Huskies than I expected. I don't think ND handled it well at all.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
This was a game in which both teams were attempting to drive into the paint and get the other in foul trouble. UConn just worked harder and was more effective at it.

This was a scenario for which in the past, UConn showed an amazing lack of affinity for. But a fearless frosh guard and Kobe's work with KLS together with Collier's touch around the hoop has changed everything.

I always loved when Moriah slipped into the middle and confounded the bigs...but it was still delicacy BB...She was not actually physically challenging the bigger girls; she was confounding them with speed and precision.

Christyn is different. She's more of a pugilist; a six-gun toughie, willing to mix it up inside with amazing results. Combine that with KLS's added feistiness close to the basket...Thank you Kobie...and we actually out-toughed the tougher team (on paper) and eventually turned them into a bunch of whiney bullies...and very winded one's at that.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I have to disagree with comments on Shepard, I thought she had her way when she got the ball.

Reaction Score
There was more dribble drive penetration from the Huskies than I expected. I don't think ND handled it well at all.
I love that! It’s the one offensive strategy that endures generation after generation. It’s the hardest thing to defend one-on-one and it forces the defense to help which opens up shooters. I think the teams that have beaten us the last couple years have dribble penetrated us to death. The little point guard for Miss St and the girl Young last year for ND in particular. I think our offense the last couple of years has been too finesse oriented. We controlled the game today physically even with Katie Lou and Crystal shooting poorly because we were attacking the rim.
As much as I love Gabby, it truly hurt us IMO that she could not hit that 15-18 foot jumper at 5he high post. Driving lanes were always clogged. Who are you gunna lay off of this year? Over commit and we’ve got 5 people 5hat can drive by you.
BTW I think we were pretty good at shutting down their drives, and also challenging their jumpers.
Who has the greater upside UConn or ND? Ha ha

Reaction Score
I could not help but see how ONO out jumped ND's bigs. Meg can really shoot, Lou is a better all around player. Crystal now has serious guns! Phee really can't be guarded. And of course CW..sweet squeak off court...hope crusher for opponents on it. I already love this team. No wonder Geno says he is loving coaching this year.

Reaction Score
I think Geno and CD said to the team: OK, here is ND's game plan, here is who they are going to try to stop. So let's plan the game around the 3 ND has not planned for. I believe Geno knew the 3 were not scouted. It's exactly how magic is done: "Look over there," the Magician says, while the action is somewhere else. Genius, of course, and we havta hope it works second time around! Bravo CD/Geno and all the rest.:cool::rolleyes::D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom