UConn's first night returns on Oct 15- Students only [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's first night returns on Oct 15- Students only [merged thread]

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’ll throw one more into the mix. Paige and Azzi are both tremendous 3 pt shooters, but Caroline may have better range than either of them. I don’t know how much PT she’ll get, but if Caroline can consistently drop bombs from 25’, she’ll find some PT, even on this deep Husky team.

Caroline and Saylor may be the deepest shooters.

Reaction Score
I knew Paige was a great shooter, but her shooting percentages were a little higher than I expected. I expect Azzi to match Paige's 2020-21 percentage numbers. One needs to watch Azzi to realize how good she is. Yes, she does have ups and downs, but she may be the best shooter you've ever seen.

Edit: Paige shot .524/.464/.869. My guess re Azzi: .560/.460/.920.
Count me as one who doubts Azzi will surpass Paige’s three point percentage. I certainly hope she does but 46% on threes is a pretty tough act to follow! Now she may well beat Paige’s overall and free throw percentages though .920 may be a bit of a stretch. If she does beat Paige across the board, the rest of the country is in trouble! Also, if she shoots .560/.460/.920 then it will be very difficult to keep her out of the starting off guard slot. Geno is going to really earn his money with this team!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I knew Paige was a great shooter, but her shooting percentages were a little higher than I expected. I expect Azzi to match Paige's 2020-21 percentage numbers. One needs to watch Azzi to realize how good she is. Yes, she does have ups and downs, but she may be the best shooter you've ever seen.

Paige and Fudd remind me of Bird and Taurasi. Bird is a pass first point guard who happens to be very good shooter while Diana is a scorer who happens to be an excellent passer. Substitute Paige for Sue and Azzi for Diana and that description still works.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

So you think Bueckers will barely edge Fudd for 3-point shooting, but Fudd will significantly best Bueckers in the midrange? You know better than me, but Bueckers, no doubt due to her supreme confidence, was probably the most successful midrange shooter as a freshman we ever had, better than KML, better even than Bird I suspect. If Fudd is then 0.04% better than that we should have the most unstoppable offense of all time.

On edit: Maybe you think Fudd will take very few midrange shots, leaving her close to the basket shots to boost her overall % by so much? That seems more plausible.

Reaction Score
We wound up a little off topic, but I looked up some of the career shooting stats for some of our past "shooters".

FT% 3PT% FG%

Bird .892 .459 .481

Moore .796 .404 .525

Samuelson .851 .415 .488

Taurasi .819 .392 .469

Dangerfield .833 .385 .441

Jefferson .818 .420 .550

Nurse .784 ,424 .484

Walker .781 .422 .465

Mosqueda-Lewis .874 .447 .486

Looks like Bird and KML are the clear standouts. Obviously Moore and Taurasi had very good numbers considering they were also "volume" scorers. Perhaps we should be comparing Paige and Azzi to Sue and Kalina, at least as pure shooters.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
We wound up a little off topic, but I looked up some of the career shooting stats for some of our past "shooters".

FT% 3PT% FG%

Bird .892 .459 .481

Moore .796 .404 .525

Samuelson .851 .415 .488

Taurasi .819 .392 .469

Dangerfield .833 .385 .441

Jefferson .818 .420 .550

Nurse .784 ,424 .484

Walker .781 .422 .465

Mosqueda-Lewis .874 .447 .486

Looks like Bird and KML are the clear standouts. Obviously Moore and Taurasi had very good numbers considering they were also "volume" scorers. Perhaps we should be comparing Paige and Azzi to Sue and Kalina, at least as pure shooters.
I think the comparison of Azzi to KML is a pretty good yardstick and I think if Azzi has a freshman campaign like Kaleena, we would be pretty happy Of course, we seem to expect that Azzi will eclipse KML over time but for a freshman season, Kaleena was very strong (but had to be with less help)

2011-12 SEASON Had a breakout freshman campaign as she led the Huskies in scoring with 15 points per game and was third on the team in rebounding with 5.4 per game... Kaleena notched 32 double digit performances in her freshman season, including 10 20-plus point performances... Led the team in scoring in 13 of UConn's contests... She scored seven points and grabbed seven rebounds in her first collegiate game against Holy Cross (Nov. 13)... Mosqueda-Lewis netted 25 points and had seven grabs against Pacific (Nov. 15)... Tallied her second consecutive game of a 20-point performance with 25 points against Stanford (Nov. 21)... Netted 11 points and pulled down nine boards against Fairleigh Dickinson (Nov. 25)... Had a season-high seven assists versus Buffalo (Nov. 26)... Mosqueda-Lewis knocked in 23 points and notched six rebounds against Dayton (Nov. 27)... Finished the Towson game (Nov. 30) with 21 points, three assists and three steals... On Dec. 6 she scored 14 versus Texas A&M... Registered 15 points and five boards at Seton Hall (Dec. 9)... Mosqueda-Lewis tallied her eighth straight double-figure performance with 12 points against West Virginia (Jan. 4)... Scored 13 points and pulled down eight rebounds versus Providence (Jan. 10)... Netted 16 points at Villanova (Jan. 14)... Concluded the North Carolina contest with 15 points and six rebounds (Jan. 16)... Went 8-of-13 from the field and 5-for-7 from the charity stripe en route to 25 points at DePaul (Jan. 21)... Mosqueda-Lewis netted 19 points and notched eight grabs at Syracuse (Jan. 25)... On Feb. 4 she scored 11 points and had five rebounds against Rutgers... Registered 14 consecutive double digit performances to end the 2011-12 season... Scored 23 points, brought in six rebounds and dished out four assists versus Georgetown (Feb. 11)... Finished the St. John's (Feb. 18) game with 12 points, six grabs and four assists... Knocked in 23 points at Pitt (Feb. 21) before tallying 27 points and seven grabs at Marquette (Feb. 25)... Mosqueda-Lewis went 5-for-6 from behind the arc against Rutgers (March 4) as she scored 17 points... recorded 22 points and five rebounds versus St. John's (March 5)... Scored 19 points and brought in eight rebounds against Notre Dame (March 6) in the BIG EAST Championship... Went 7-of-7 from the foul line en route to 21 points against Prairie View A&M (March 17) in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament... She had 15 points against Kansas State (March 18)... Recorded her first career double-double in the Sweet Sixteen versus Penn State (March 25) with 11 grabs and 12 points... Mosqueda-Lewis scored 18 points and pulled down seven rebounds versus Kentucky (March 27)... Registered 13 points and seven rebounds in the Final Four against Notre Dame (April 1).

Awards

• 2011-12 BIG EAST Tournament Most Outstanding Player
  • 2011-12 BIG EAST Freshman of the Year
  • 2011-12 BIG EAST All-Tournament Team
  • 2011-12 BIG EAST Sixth Man of the Year
  • 2011-12 All-BIG EAST Second Team
  • 2011-12 BIG EAST All-Freshman Team
  • 2011-12 Preseason BIG EAST Freshman of the Year
  • Eight-Time BIG EAST Freshman of the Week

Reaction Score
Paige does not look happy in that poster unlike our seniors.
Really? You think she might tr………or maybe she just tryna look tough like many do on sports posters.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Unless you count FTs, Azzi's best shot is her pull-up. Her touch is impossibly soft. She also has a lefty scoop shot that is very much under the radar. I'd be surprised if she doesn't have a 50/40/90 season at some point in her career. Why not start with that as a frosh?!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I pray on bended knees that teams try to double team Azzi this year. Someone is going to be wide open for an uncontested shot, my favorite shot for our girls to take.

This is what happens when a team doesn't double-team Azzi. 38 points in the City Championship game--all those shots are in 1 game! She set the scoring record for the Mystics arena:

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
This is what happens when a team doesn't double-team Azzi. 38 points in the City Championship game--all those shots are in 1 game! She set the scoring record for the Mystics arena:

Thanks for the post @MilfordHusky, I think the refs let the opposition get away with a few fouls that weren't called. In that whole clip there was only two fouls called, while it appeared at least five if not more should have been called. I can't wait to see the new class mix with the rest of the team. I think this is going to be one of the most enjoyable seasons in a very long time.

Reaction Score
So you think Bueckers will barely edge Fudd for 3-point shooting, but Fudd will significantly best Bueckers in the midrange? You know better than me, but Bueckers, no doubt due to her supreme confidence, was probably the most successful midrange shooter as a freshman we ever had, better than KML, better even than Bird I suspect. If Fudd is then 0.04% better than that we should have the most unstoppable offense of all time.

On edit: Maybe you think Fudd will take very few midrange shots, leaving her close to the basket shots to boost her overall % by so much? That seems more plausible.

Asked why Fudd was always smiling Geno said that he would also smile if he never missed a shot. In a Youtube "20 questions" interview of the two both were asked what shot they would use in a end of game last shot scenario and Bueckers said she would draw defenders and pass to Fudd for the winner. If Bueckers says she's a better shooter who am I to disagree.
Fudd seems to be much less demonstrative than her BFF but I saw a HS snippet where she responded to taunting by knocking down a series of shots and blowing a kiss to her tormenters. She's the type to make 30 ft's in a row. An inch or so shorter than Bueckers she had a college ready body as a HS sophomore. A deadly mid range shot but also the strength to take it to the hoop.

My prediction is that by Christmas the board will be hotly arguing over Bird-Taurasi vs Bueckers-Fudd.

"This is going to be great!"

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Interesting highlights where they apparently spliced it so that the following apperared generally in order

1) mid range
2) drives
3) 3pts
4) Assists
5) Rebounds
6) Defensive stops.

PS. Keep Azzi (and Paige) off the ladders. Scary. ;)

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Asked why Fudd was always smiling Geno said that he would also smile if he never missed a shot. In a Youtube "20 questions" interview of the two both were asked what shot they would use in a end of game last shot scenario and Bueckers said she would draw defenders and pass to Fudd for the winner. If Bueckers says she's a better shooter who am I to disagree.
Fudd seems to be much less demonstrative than her BFF but I saw a HS snippet where she responded to taunting by knocking down a series of shots and blowing a kiss to her tormenters. She's the type to make 30 ft's in a row. An inch or so shorter than Bueckers she had a college ready body as a HS sophomore. A deadly mid range shot but also the strength to take it to the hoop.

My prediction is that by Christmas the board will be hotly arguing over Bird-Taurasi vs Bueckers-Fudd.

"This is going to be great!"
My challenge was not to the notion that Fudd will shoot better than Bueckers, but that it will be 4 % better. Note in the data provided above the best previous overall was Moore at 52.5%. Bueckers was at 52.4% and you can bet that Moore took a lot more shots near the basket.

If @MilfordHusky predicted something like 53% for Fudd I would have some doubts, but would not bet against it. I will, however, bet against 56% for any freshman perimeter player. I’ve already got one large pizza bet with @oldude. Want to make that another one? If Fudd shoots 56% overall or better we share a pizza on me; if she shoots less than that the pizza is on you?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My challenge was not to the notion that Fudd will shoot better than Bueckers, but that it will be 4 % better. Note in the data provided above the best previous overall was Moore at 52.5%. Bueckers was at 52.4% and you can bet that Moore took a lot more shots near the basket.

If @MilfordHusky predicted something like 53% for Fudd I would have some doubts, but would not bet against it. I will, however, bet against 56% for any freshman perimeter player. I’ve already got one large pizza bet with @oldude. Want to make that another one? If Fudd shoots 56% overall or better we share a pizza on me; if she shoots less than that the pizza is on you?

Yeah, Azzi is a freshman, but she's not a normal freshman. She's also playing with Paige.

Here are some overall shooting numbers to consider--Shea shot .624 for a season; Kalana Greene shot .569 or better 3 times; and Moriah shot .550 for a career and at least .557 3 times. Look at Azzi's repertoire. I think .560 is realistic.

From the arc, several players have shot .460 or better for a season, including Sue 2x, Kaleena 2x, Lou, and Kia Nurse.

In terms of FT shooting, only Sue (.942) has exceeded .900, while Kaleena shot .895. But Azzi is the best FT shooter I've seen other than EDD.

I'll bet a Chipotle Burrito that Azzi meets or exceeds my prediction of 56/46/92.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Yeah, Azzi is a freshman, but she's not a normal freshman. She's also playing with Paige.

Here are some overall shooting numbers to consider--Shea shot .624 for a season; Kalana Greene shot .569 or better 3 times; and Moriah shot .550 for a career and at least .557 3 times. Look at Azzi's repertoire. I think .560 is realistic.

From the arc, several players have shot .460 or better for a season, including Sue 2x, Kaleena 2x, Lou, and Kia Nurse.

In terms of FT shooting, only Sue (.942) has exceeded .900, while Kaleena shot .895. But Azzi is the best FT shooter I've seen other than EDD.

I'll bet a Chipotle Burrito that Azzi meets or exceeds my prediction of 56/46/92.
For the statistics you provided for overall percentage, which were for freshmen perimeter players? Plus the players you cite I believe took less of a percentage of jump shots as what Fudd is likely to take.

I’m not challenging whether Fudd will be impressive; I’m challenging the 56% as an overall percentage for any freshman perimeter player taking a lot of jump shots. Make it a pizza, my original offer, and the 56% overall statistic, and I will take that bet.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Seeing as it's very likely I will get to to see you before the end of the year, i will take you up on that. Not to bet against you, but just to get you to buy me a burrito! LOL

If we are in SoCal, you can buy me a breakfast burrito, and later in the day, I'll buy you a Chipotle burrito for dinner!! :p

Reaction Score

I love free pizza but I am often a jinx and don't want my bad luck to effect UConn. :(

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
I love free pizza but I am often a jinx and don't want my bad luck to effect UConn. :(
If Azzi shot 55% you'd lose on the free pizza but I doubt having someone shoot 55% as opposed to 56% from the field is considered bad luck for any team.

Reaction Score

hs not the same as college, there are much much better hc's and much better athletes. Hc's like Tara have seen it all. Shooting is not the problem what will make UConn champion is defense

Reaction Score
If Azzi shot 55% you'd lose on the free pizza but I doubt having someone shoot 55% as opposed to 56% from the field is considered bad luck for any team.

What if it came down to one 3 pt shot in the title game deciding the winner of the game and the winner of the wager? No thanks.

Reaction Score
I once played in a mens bracket contest and my winning the big prize came down to Duke or UConn. I had picked Duke and still think that I jinxed Duke as UConn won.

I have a rule that I don't wager on my teams, partly because of the jinx factor and partly because of my emotional bias.

Reaction Score
I once played in a mens bracket contest and my winning the big prize came down to Duke or UConn. I had picked Duke and still think that I jinxed Duke as UConn won.

I have a rule that I don't wager on my teams, partly because of the jinx factor and partly because of my emotional bias.

Funny, I had my daughter play. She picked UCONN and won $1200. Thanks for the jinx!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom