UConn's Evina Westbrook put WNBA on hold to chase title: 'Going to be a really fun year' | The Boneyard

UConn's Evina Westbrook put WNBA on hold to chase title: 'Going to be a really fun year'

Reaction Score
“I tell everyone, growing up I loved UConn and then I went through this little patch where I was like, ‘No, I hate them, they always win,’ ” Westbrook said. “Coming here, I’m just [realizing], it makes sense why we win, it makes sense why we’re able to blow teams out because we really do work harder than everybody. In practice, we’re grinding and coaches, if we have a good game the next day he’s on us. There’s no letting up. And that’s what separates us from everybody else. They tighten down on the little things, that’s what separates us from everybody else. I think being here, being a senior now, I truly understand.”

UConn's Evina Westbrook put WNBA on hold to chase title: 'Going to be a really fun year'

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Most folks that get a second chance at something usually take advantage of it. It looks like Westbrook is. I'm happy for her, and wish her the best season yet.
She is a leader of this team. Will SHE be the reason the team will have EXTRA MOTIVATION to win the championship this year, so that she along with fellow seniors Williams and ONO can leave as Geno says, "the right way?" I'll take number 12 any way I can get it!! ;) I agree with Evina, "it's going to be a really fun year." One we're all (UConn Nation) going to enjoy. :)

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Most folks that get a second chance at something usually take advantage of it. It looks like Westbrook is. I'm happy for her, and wish her the best season yet.
She is the unquestioned leader of this team. Will SHE be the reason the team will have EXTRA MOTIVATION to win the championship this year, so that she along with fellow seniors Williams and ONO can leave as Geno says, "the right way?" I'll take number 12 any way I can get it!! ;) I agree with Evina, "it's going to be a really fun year." One we're all (UConn Nation) going to enjoy. :)
You have hit upon an anamoly @Carnac. Yes, Evina is looked up to, but Paige is the leader of the team. Before her freshman year Geno to Paige she was to be the leader of the team. Paige would cement that in everyone's mind with one stellar performance after another. Evina can be a leader, but it is Paige's team.

Reaction Score
You have hit upon an anamoly @Carnac. Yes, Evina is looked up to, but Paige is the leader of the team. Before her freshman year Geno to Paige she was to be the leader of the team. Paige would cement that in everyone's mind with one stellar performance after another. Evina can be a leader, but it is Paige's team.
I believe I heard him say that there were several on the team who share that role when needed

Reaction Score
Evina is the mom and leader of our bunch of super athletes. She has qualities that the naked eye cannot see...from many prior interviews with the younger players Evina is still the mom and super respected. Yes, she is a terrific player, but she gives of herself so much to the betterment of the team. I can envision Evina in the locker room offering encouragement and advice that only a mature and bright person can do. She has a great future, but first in her head is leading the team in any way she can. Be prepared to see Evina on TV a lot if she chooses that route, otherwise any organization/company will snap her up....what a role model. The kids still do not shown evidence of such leadership qualities. I/we are so lucky to have her for the next year.

Reaction Score
Evina is the mom and leader of our bunch of super athletes. She has qualities that the naked eye cannot see...from many prior interviews with the younger players Evina is still the mom and super respected. Yes, she is a terrific player, but she gives of herself so much to the betterment of the team. I can envision Evina in the locker room offering encouragement and advice that only a mature and bright person can do. She has a great future, but first in her head is leading the team in any way she can. Be prepared to see Evina on TV a lot if she chooses that route, otherwise any organization/company will snap her up....what a role model. The kids still do not shown evidence of such leadership qualities. I/we are so lucky to have her for the next year.
I see Evina coming back to be a great coach at multiple levels after a long career in the WNBA. She could also be a fantastic General Manager for Championship teams in the WNBA or the NBA due to her experience transferring from UT, and assisting DJ as she transferred from 'The Ohio State.'

I am happy that she is a Husky this year, and ALL of her dreams come true - particularly the NC in April, 2022!

Reaction Score
Remember when the whole world was calling evina’s parents helicopters and too mouthy, also Evina was apparently the attitude issue at TN….. so I’m just saying, either she’s had a change of heart and personality with the transfer…. Or drama and internet is super damaging to young adults. Either way, I’m glad she chose to come to UConn and glad she’s been such a supreme role model for our youngsters. I’m sure she realizes how good she has things here and how much of an education she is getting for life in and beyond basketball.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Paige is the floor leader for sure, no argument there. Evina however is the team leader off the floor, 2 very different things. Both are very good at their roles, neither appears to feel threatened by the other and they work their magic so everyone benefits. Including us.

Reaction Score
Remember when the whole world was calling evina’s parents helicopters and too mouthy, also Evina was apparently the attitude issue at TN….. so I’m just saying, either she’s had a change of heart and personality with the transfer…. Or drama and internet is super damaging to young adults. Either way, I’m glad she chose to come to UConn and glad she’s been such a supreme role model for our youngsters. I’m sure she realizes how good she has things here and how much of an education she is getting for life in and beyond basketball.

Im gonna say that was Tennessee fans when she was talking cuz she was out… and with that being said I’m glad she’s at UConn too. And wish she had begun her career at UConn

Reaction Score
I'm going to say that unless Evina is capable of a complete Jekyll and Hyde transformation, the problem was at Tennessee and with the fans there. Don't know anything about her parents, but I don't recall ever having heard a word from them since she's been at UConn. Helicopter parents and their mouths don't just shut up and go away, unless Evina duct taped them. More power to her if she had to, and did.

Reaction Score
The article was about Evina, there was no need to interject Paige in this. We all know Paige is the best player on the team. However, the presence of Evina with this young team a year ago was invaluable and to Paige's credit she called Evina the MVP of the team.
The most exciting thing about Evina going into next year is that she will have the opportunity to remind the wcbb world what a coveted player she was before her injury,

Reaction Score
What qualities go into making one a leader? I don't think you can learn true leadership, some of it has to be in one's genes. Looking at our great team, I see 2 born leaders. Geno and Evina! Hope that another will evolve after her graduations. Evina doesn't have to start or play huge minutes, her contributions to UConn are immense.

Reaction Score
The article was about Evina, there was no need to interject Paige in this. We all know Paige is the best player on the team. However, the presence of Evina with this young team a year ago was invaluable and to Paige's credit she called Evina the MVP of the team.
The most exciting thing about Evina going into next year is that she will have the opportunity to remind the wcbb world what a coveted player she was before her injury,
Italics are usually reserved for quotes.

Reaction Score
Italics are usually reserved for quotes.
Italics can be used when you want to emphasize a certain word or phrase in a sentence in informal writing.

Reaction Score
Thank you for saying this because this boards constant need to interject Paige into things that have nothing to do with her is beyond annoying!

Reaction Score
PG was not the leader of the team this past year. If there was a leader, it was EW.

Now next year, I expect there to be a shared leadership between EW and PG....not a bad thing. it is probable that EW defers a bit and she will have less minutes so it will be a natural transition.

Reaction Score
PG was not the leader of the team this past year. If there was a leader, it was EW.

Now next year, I expect there to be a shared leadership between EW and PG....not a bad thing. it is probable that EW defers a bit and she will have less minutes so it will be a natural transition.
I think its a little unrealistic to expect Piath Gabriel to assume a leadership role this coming season

Reaction Score

Having watched most of UCONN's replays since the season ended , I think that EW was highly respected and, given her talents and position as elder-statesman, would be looked to for advice. Her poise and calm demeanor exudes the confidence expected of leadership, so yeah--from an outside perspective she fits that role. I also think she is the smoothest, and most under-control player-with-the-ball on the team.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
On a dog sled the lead dog isn't always the fastest or strongest, it's the dog tht understands the route and the commands of the musher and calms and steady the team, EW is our lead dog, and whn things get helter skelter it's Ew who steadys the team, shows players where they should be or go and gives the team a jolt of confidence, I thk tht year of sitting out helped her see the game from a wider perspective , she's actually a playing coach and very much needed in crucial moments of the game...lmho

Reaction Score

obviously i meant PB not PG. Thanks to Larry for letting me in on my mistake. :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Paige revealed that last Fall?? Sept or October Geno told her that it was her team to lead. Early in the year she did not lead, but she came on later and lead.

Reaction Score
Paige revealed that last Fall?? Sept or October Geno told her that it was her team to lead. Early in the year she did not lead, but she came on later and lead.
It appeared to me that the leader of the team was EW despite what GA said. that is not to say that PB was not a leader of the team as well but in my view she was no 'the leader'.

Reaction Score
As NIKA once said: " everyone has to accept their role, what
playing time they get, doing what needs to be done " ( paraphrase ).
This team will win with: ++ Chemistry, hard work, and talent.
Everyone from starters , to rotation players, to "role" players
are part of the greater winning package. GO TEAM.
Z.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom