UConn's Crozier to miss season; TE Billy Williams to transfer in (Fuller) | The Boneyard

UConn's Crozier to miss season; TE Billy Williams to transfer in (Fuller)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2015/07/uconns-crozier-to-miss-season-te.html

>>There is some news to report on the UConn football team beginning with some bad news as projected starting center Ryan Crozier will miss the upcoming season due to a lower-leg injury.

Crozier started the last three games of the season at left offensive guard but was being moved to center to replace the graduated Alex Mateas. Although he has never played a game at center, he was one of 63 players named to the Rimington Trophy watch list.

Crozier played as a true freshman so he will use the 2015 season to redshirt and have three seasons of eligibility remaining. Dan Oak, who redshired last season, was one of the early candidates to replace Mateas so perhaps he will move into the starting role.

The news wasn't all bad as UConn added former Northern Iowa tight end Billy Williams as a transfer. The 6-foot-3 Williams is a native of Knoxville, Tenn. who had two catches for 94 yards as a freshman in 2014. He is currently enrolled in summer school but will need to sit out the upcoming season due to NCAA transfer regulations.<<

Here is Billy Williams' highlights from high school:

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Williams on schollie or a preferred walk on?

Reaction Score
Crozier was pretty forth coming about this injury at the Season Ticket Holder bbq event...I'm surprised it took this long to come out.

Reaction Score
Williams film looks impressive. Good size and speed, and he returned kicks in high school. He was one of UNI's top recruits. Welcome aboard Billy!

Reaction Score
Excited bout this kid for 2016... his versatility has me thinking H-Back/TE hybrid type... hoping he has some solid hands... would be a huge addition to our passing game if that's the case.... welcome aboard...

Reaction Score
Excited bout this kid for 2016... his versatility has me thinking H-Back/TE hybrid type... hoping he has some solid hands... would be a huge addition to our passing game if that's the case.... welcome aboard...
It would be cool to see them utilize him like my Oakland Raiders use their TE/HBack Marcel Reece. WR in college, didn't really have a position in the NFL. But he added bulk, retained his speed and is a weapon all over the field.

Reaction Score
Verducci definitely had to be involved in this transfer...he was TE coach at Northern Iowa last year.

NHRJimFuller 10:18am via TweetDeck
#UConn offensive coordinator Frank Verducci thrilled to coach talented tight end Billy Williams again
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2015/08/uconn-oc-verducci-has-familiar-face-in.html

>>Frank Verducci thinks the world of Billy Williams, who he coached a season ago at Northern Iowa. There's not much he wouldn't do for the Knoxville, Tennessee native. Well, except for place a call to the staff of a conference rival on Williams' behalf.

Williams, who had catches of 58 and 36 yards as a freshman at Northern Iowa, found himself with a player without a position when a change in offensive philosophy downgraded the importance of the tight end position. When he decided to transfer, he called Verducci with a favor.

"He had actually asked me to call Memphis for him and we play Memphis and I said 'I can't call Memphis and have you scoring touchdowns against me so why don't you come here?'" Verducci said. That is exactly what happened as Williams transferred to UConn. After sitting out the 2015 season due to NCAA regulations on transfers, he will have three years of eligibility remaining.

"I know the type of young man Billy is, I know his skill set and he is going to be a nice addition to the team," Verducci said. "He will do a great job as a scout team player this year as he mandatory redshirts and more than anything else, I think he is the type of young man we want in the program."<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom