UConn's Big East Rival | The Boneyard

UConn's Big East Rival

Reaction Score
Who do you believe that will be UConn's new Big East Conference rivals in basketball ? I'm guessing Xavier and Villanova

Butler,
Creighton,
DePaul,
Georgetown,
Marquette,
St. John's,
Seton Hall,
Villanova,
Xavier
Providence College.

Reaction Score
im just looking forward to some old school, hard knock basketball which was what the big east was. adding uconn back to that mix is just gonna be icing on some cake i've been wanting to eat for the last 5-6 years!!!

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
I hope our rivalry with Seton Hall gains traction...have Danny amping the kids up to play his alma mater. Also feel like the St. John’s rivalry could be renewed, with all the CT kids they’ve been snagging. Nova will be the popular one but Danny’s admiration for Jay Wright will keep it civil. Out of the gates it’ll probably be Xavier because of this year’s game, and they have a loud, rowdy fan base that’ll clash nicely our rowdy (soon to be consistently loud again) fan base.

Man I cannot wait for this to be our schedule...every team on that list excites me.

Reaction Score
I could get up for all of those teams. Xavier game this year hinted that they are also eminently hatable.
Xavier fans online have always pissed me off. They act so entitled and above UConn simply because they joined the Big East and their best seasons of all time literally coincided with our worst stretch.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Barring a coaching change there, a UConn/DePaul "relationship" seems natural, and relationships in sport turn into rivalries the first time you play a close game against them. Other than that, 'Nova is the most natural rivalry, and assuming Seton Hall isn't smoke and mirrors, that could turn into something as well, particularly with the Hurley/SH connection.
Finally, I felt like Marquette was becoming something of a rivalry before the realignment implosion left us out in the cold, and that could be nurtured.

Reaction Score
We never had a true rival but Syracuse was certainly the closest thing throughout the years. We were pretty great for a 25+ year period so our rival was whoever was really good for stretches of that time. Pitt, St. John's, Nova, G'Town etc.

Nova is pretty great now and I think we're on the verge of that so I expect Nova to be our rival for the coming years.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They’re all going to hate us because we are going to raise our leg and pee on all of them and establish (or re-establish, if you consider this the same league; I don’t) ourselves as the alpha dog of the league.

I think we need to accept and relish our role as the obnoxious, pompous fans who expect to come in and rule the roost because we have more National Championships and have experienced more greatness than any of them could ever dream to sniff.

Reaction Score
Nova from the actual rivalry over the years. Providence because they always felt like the younger sibling and now the playing field has evened out a bit. Xavier because of the Charleston Classic and wanting to prove themselves on the big stage. In that order.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
In a good league, every team should feel like a rival! Rarely in the OBE (pre-Conference USA adds) did a game ever feel forced. Less teams and 20 games will make it feel that way!

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
We never had a true rival but Syracuse was certainly the closest thing throughout the years. We were pretty great for a 25+ year period so our rival was whoever was really good for stretches of that time. Pitt, St. John's, Nova, G'Town etc.

Nova is pretty great now and I think we're on the verge of that so I expect Nova to be our rival for the coming years.
Honestly, during that period I felt the most rivalry related animosity to Pitt and it wasn't even close. Never felt confident we'd beat them, even when we were good and they were in a mediocre year. Having a roster full of 30 year olds definitely helped.

Syracuse never felt like as tough an opponent...partly due to their soft, role-playing style

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom