UConn's APR update front page news on..... | The Boneyard

UConn's APR update front page news on.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
"The football team scored a 990, raising its four-year average to 969. The women's basketball team had a 980 and a four-year score of 983."

This line was shocking to me.

Reaction Score
This line made me want to throw a chair onto a bypass:

The men's team recorded an APR of 957 out of 1,000 for the year, reflecting the transfers of forward Rakim Lubin and guard Terrence Samuel.

It is beyond me how any reasonable mind can view the transfers of two players as an academic indictment on the program. Somehow, Terrence Samuel who wants to attend another institution of higher learning is held to a higher standard than Tyus Jones who left for the NBA.

Reaction Score
In one of Edsall's final years the football team was one of a dozen or so schools to win some national award for academics.

Reaction Score

The men's team recorded an APR of 957 out of 1,000 for the year, reflecting the transfers of forward Rakim Lubin and guard Terrence Samuel.

It is beyond me how any reasonable mind can view the transfers of two players as an academic indictment on the program. Somehow, Terrence Samuel who wants to attend another institution of higher learning is held to a higher standard than Tyus Jones who left for the NBA.

Well, that answers the question of whether the transfers would hurt our APR. The answer is yes.

This is another reason why we shouldn't be reaching with the last few scholarships. TSam was a solid bench guard who wanted starter's minutes at a lesser program, that's fine. But Lubin never, ever should have been here.

Reaction Score
Each player counts for two points. One for staying in school and one for staying on track to graduate. So even if a guy transfers in good standing, the school can only get 1 out of 2 pts.

Next question - how does that guy's standing count for the school he transfers to?

Reaction Score
Each player counts for two points. One for staying in school and one for staying on track to graduate. So even if a guy transfers in good standing, the school can only get 1 out of 2 pts.

That's right. The only exception is that you can get that point loss ignored if they have a GPA above 2.6.

Obviously, Lubin and Samuel failed to achieve that. They must have had a good enough GPA to be in good standing, but not good enough to get the exception.

Reaction Score
Seems to me it is just a way for the NCAA to say they are doing something all the while the big boys (i.e. NC) get nothing for far more egregious offenses.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Wait a minute, I've been told my many more rational and level headed than me posters that there is no such thing as a negative UConn perception and agenda in the media.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Every single time I read something to do with APR, I always turn off in disgust. Every single time.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Well, that answers the question of whether the transfers would hurt our APR. The answer is yes.

This is another reason why we shouldn't be reaching with the last few scholarships. TSam was a solid bench guard who wanted starter's minutes at a lesser program, that's fine. But Lubin never, ever should have been here.

He was a direct result of the sanctions. Needed bodies. Best we could do at the time, given all the extenuating circumstances.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That's right. The only exception is that you can get that point loss ignored if they have a GPA above 2.6.

Obviously, Lubin and Samuel failed to achieve that. They must have had a good enough GPA to be in good standing, but not good enough to get the exception.

It's doubly absurd, given that guys may have to transfer because they can't keep up with the balancing act of a student athlete academic schedule. So if the kid's doing poorly in class, for whatever reason, and he needs to find a program more suited to his academic ceiling, the school gets punished.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I liked your post just for this line alone. I'm guessing you meant "overpass," but I can't decide which image makes me laugh more.

Reaction Score
Wait a minute, I've been told my many more rational and level headed than me posters that there is no such thing as a negative UConn perception and agenda in the media.
If it's coming from BigErn it's just him doing his contrarian routine. It's pretty clear we are treated differently, I'm shocked Zach Brown didn't make front page of ESPN for his dust up.

Reaction Score
If it's coming from BigErn it's just him doing his contrarian routine. It's pretty clear we are treated differently, I'm shocked Zach Brown didn't make front page of ESPN for his dust up.

You keep fighting that good fight, John. Looking forward to your usual meltdown at 18:30 of the first half with the score 6-3 tomorrow.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
GSR is even worse than APR in my opinion. APR allows for exemptions on transfers or players that peace early to play professionally. GSR has the pro ball waiver but you are screwed of the kid transfers. Doesn't matter if they graduate at the next school or not. Also doesn't count the kids that transfer into the program like the apr does. The metric is also uses pretty old data so we will be hearing about how much we suck at graduating players for years to come while UK and Duke look golden

Reaction Score

Next question - how does that guy's standing count for the school he transfers to?

How many points for a bogus class? Points for tutors doing the kid's work?

Reaction Score

I don't know. I can see your perspective, but then again, it would be a shame if we stopped taking chances on under-the-radar kids because of a nonsensical NCAA rule.

Reaction Score
Anyone else find it funny that ESPN will do cool stuff with the football program but not the basketball program? They've had football players in the studio this past year but not the basketball team? Now they're running what is essentially three year old news and turning it into a story?

Reaction Score
Just a thought here, and I know this is crazy, but maybe there's something unique about UConn and the APR that makes their score more noteworthy than, say, Kansas or Duke. What could that possibly be? Could it be that UConn was very publicly banned from the NCAA tournament because of their APR score? Nah, that can't be it.

Did superjohn actually read that article and wonder why there wasn't a similar article about Michigan State's APR? I bet he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom