UConn's 100 straight Wins is an Indictment of WBB | The Boneyard

UConn's 100 straight Wins is an Indictment of WBB

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
  1. Some twitter responses:
  2. Nicc Jackson Retweeted
    Coach Rock Rosa ‏@CoachRoc142 3h3 hours ago
    @niccdontcare So according to @foxsportsradio the Men's NCAA was weak during UCLA's run?Every men's program other than them made Bball weak
  3. @lizt74 Its crazy because other teams in WBB is just as loaded as Geno with HEADLINERS but they can't seem to win games when it matters smdh

4. @niccdontcare every time a Dynasty comes around people that have never built anything of the sorts try to come and tear it down!
  5. That article is the one they pull out every year. Most who write it don't even care about the game.
  6. @KennyKallina @InsiderExposure @NYGHoops The sport is where it is because GENO is not kissing players ASSES & trying to be friends wt

7. It's not Geno's that he has CONTROL over his program & they get better. Try looking at these other so-called top UNDERACHIEVING PROGRAMS

8. @KennyKallina @InsiderExposure @NYGHoops However I honestly feel that it's a double edged sword good and bad for the WBB game.

9. @KennyKallina @InsiderExposure @NYGHoops To not acknowledge the dominance is just a HATER move bro. Always give credit where it's due

10. Last time I checked all WBB players breathe the same air, eat the same food & has the same opportunity to be good at they craft #StopTheHate

11. @KennyKallina @InsiderExposure @niccdontcare @NYGHoops WOW seriously? Not the strength of his program huh?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't know who this Clay Travis guy is, but I can't say I'm surprised. It never ceases to amaze me how the internet commenters and media trolls and Shaughnessys of the world, most of whom probably never accomplished anything meaningful in their athletic lives, love popping up out of the woodwork just to denigrate anything the UConn women do, simply because they happen to play a women's sport.

In stark contrast, almost every current or former men's player or coach of any note, whether it's Jay Bilas, Seth Greenberg, Jay Williams, John Calipari, even John Wooden when he was still with us, has no problem whatsoever recognizing and appreciating greatness in sports, regardless of the gender of the players. (Dopey Doug Gottlieb is the only exception I can think of right now, though there may be others.) Funny how that works. Kobe Bryant didn't have to send the UConn women a congratulatory tweet last night, but he did. Does anyone think he doesn't understand what greatness is, or how much hard work goes into achieving it? With all due respect to Clay Travis (whoever he is), what the hell does he know?

Another example: current Kansas guard Frank Mason III was on SportsCenter last night to talk about his team's miracle comeback win against West Virginia. John Anderson (completely randomly) asked him when was the last time he'd won 100 games in a row. Honestly, that question might've annoyed me if I'd been on the show to talk about my game and not the UConn women's game, but Mason responded that he'd never won 100 in a row and that UConn was amazing and had a great coach. Why? Because, unlike some people, he's an accomplished athlete in his own right and clearly felt no need to minimize the UConn women's accomplishment just to try to make himself feel better or build himself up.

In short, to hell with the haters and trolls. Those who matter, who've done something, and who know what they're talking about, get it.

Reaction Score
I guess nobody cares about the NFL because the Patriots win every other year or MLB where the Giants win about every other year(and the Cubs once a century) or golf when Tiger won all of the time.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Just another moron. He wouldn't give a hoot about women's basketball if every game were decided by a buzzer beater. Then he would say no one cares because it's played below the rim. My guess is the guy never even watched a game.

Reaction Score
You beat me by a whisker. Guess it's worth saying twice.
Worth saying 3 times!

"Top ranked UConn’s 66-55 milestone 100th-consecutive victory over No. 6 South Carolina on Monday, Feb. 13 (9 p.m. ET, ESPN2), delivered a 0.9 overnight rating, marking the highest-rated college basketball game on ESPN2 this season among men’s and women’s telecasts, and the highest-rated women’s college basketball regular-season game since 2010. Digitally, the game also attracted 69,000 unique viewers with a total of 1,700,000 minutes watched, which makes this matchup the most streamed women’s college basketball regular-season game to date televised by ESPN."

Reaction Score
Any kind of UCLA men's or UConn women's streak would be totally inpossible in today's men's game but it should also be impossible in today's women's game. I don't watch a ton of women's basketball but I do know there is much more parity nowadays and Geno isn't just getting all the top recruits. Geno is just on a totally different level in how he runs his program from everyone else and these young women always 100% buy in to his vision. The ball movement is tremendous, everyone knows their roll and they always play D. Didn't used to be a big fan but I watch a lot more lately and this group plays the most visually pleasing brand of basketball I can remember from a women's team. Anyone trying to rain on these accomplishments is a hater, pure and simple.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
I guess nobody cares about the NFL because the Patriots win every other year or MLB where the Giants win about every other year(and the Cubs once a century) or golf when Tiger won all of the time.

This is EXACTLY what WBB requires Parity will develop as Others as young women aspire to achieve UCONN's abilities !

Reaction Score
Any kind of UCLA men's or UConn women's streak would be totally inpossible in today's men's game but it should also be impossible in today's women's game. I don't watch a ton of women's basketball but I do know there is much more parity nowadays and Geno isn't just getting all the top recruits. Geno is just on a totally different level in how he runs his program from everyone else and these young women always 100% buy in to his vision. The ball movement is tremendous, everyone knows their roll and they always play D. Didn't used to be a big fan but I watch a lot more lately and this group plays the most visually pleasing brand of basketball I can remember from a women's team. Anyone trying to rain on these accomplishments is a hater, pure and simple.

Well stated superJ

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Just another moron. He wouldn't give a hoot about women's basketball if every game were decided by a buzzer beater. Then he would say no one cares because it's played below the rim. My guess is the guy never even watched a game.

Yes. I've been repeating this again and again whenever this topic comes up for discussion: The arguments of "boring" and "killing the game" appeal primarily to non-viewers. These chumps like Shaughnessy and now Travis wouldn't be watching the games anyway, no matter how much "parity" there was. Shaughnessy himself admitted that he'd spewed his infamous tweet after he happened upon the UConn-MSU game while channel-surfing. He probably didn't even know they'd be playing that day, and he couldn't have named a single player on the team. It's not a sport that he covers or has ever even watched before. Would he have been instantly hooked on the sport if he'd happened across a tied game? Pffft.

Reaction Score
Why would any program host do a set on a subject that nobody cares about, unless they are trying to sabotage their own program/career?

Oops....that was logic. My apologies, Internet.

Reaction Score
The guy works for Fox. That should be as much as we need to know.

Reaction Score
Not even worth the time to comment on these two dpshts (can I buy an 'i' Pat?), but I will anyway Played college bball, enjoy the NCAA men's tourney but for an old-timer who wore black low-top Chuck's and Maravich-like socks and learned to use the backboard there's nothing like the women's game as it carries with it a purity that's lacking in the pros and the college men's game. As to 'they get the best players' it shows just how uneducated and uninformed these so-called sports reporters are. Do some homework and then come back and provide some accurate analysis. Also, I think there's as many coaches around the country who use UCONN's success as a recruiting tool, selling them the 'don't you want to be part of a program that upends them' speech. Diamond DeShields for one came out publicly on that, didn't she?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Radio talk show host Clay Travis says that nobody cares about women's basketball and that UConn's accomplishments speak more to a lack of parity then to their greatness as a team:

Nobody Cares about UCONN's 100 Straight Wins | Outkick the Coverage with Clay Travis | FOX Sports Radio

Saw the thread title "What idiot said this?" I thought. Clay Travis. Yep, sounds about right. Never had the misfortune of listening to him but from what I gather, he's one of these Cowherd-style talk radio bloviators. His opinions do not warrant serious discussion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom