UConn Women's Basketball: The Closest Dynasty to John Wooden's | The Boneyard

UConn Women's Basketball: The Closest Dynasty to John Wooden's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
by Michael Whitlow

In 30 years as head coach of the Connecticut Huskies, Geno Auriemma has built one of the greatest dynasties in the history of sports. Since the 1985-86 women’s college hoop season — Auriemma’s first season with the Huskies — UConn has only missed the NCAA Women’s Tournament three times, and each of those came within Auriemma’s first three years as head coach.

After missing the tournament in the 1987-88 season, Auriemma laid the groundwork for what would become the single greatest run in women’s college basketball history. For the next 27 seasons, UConn would go on to win 10 national championships and appear in 16 Women’s Final Fours. Along with their dominance, they tore down Pat Summit’s empire in Knoxville with Tennessee and became the gold standard of women’s basketball.

[MORE]

Reaction Score
by Michael Whitlow

In 30 years as head coach of the Connecticut Huskies, Geno Auriemma has built one of the greatest dynasties in the history of sports. Since the 1985-86 women’s college hoop season — Auriemma’s first season with the Huskies — UConn has only missed the NCAA Women’s Tournament three times, and each of those came within Auriemma’s first three years as head coach.

After missing the tournament in the 1987-88 season, Auriemma laid the groundwork for what would become the single greatest run in women’s college basketball history. For the next 27 seasons, UConn would go on to win 10 national championships and appear in 16 Women’s Final Fours. Along with their dominance, they tore down Pat Summit’s empire in Knoxville with Tennessee and became the gold standard of women’s basketball.

[MORE]

Java- I always enjoy reading the interesting articles you post about anything UConn WBB, but this one was really annoying and poorly researched. The author appears to know little about women's basketball in general and UConn WBB specifically...

1) Nobody but nobody who is knowledgeable in WCBB would make the frequent and repugnant references to "the Lady Huskies" :eek: and "the Lady Irish of Notre Dame." :eek: YIKES! That is just so wrong (offensive even) and shows a complete lack of familiarity with the women's game. Maybe he's from Knoxville, but it's still no excuse for that calumny.

2) Despite providing an asterisk after her name, the author should not have tried to embellish the list of "Women Auriemma has coached during his tenure..." by including Elena Delle Donne. Geno's credentials are impressive enough without the ridiculous fudging.

3) When the author writes..."The two programs have met either in the national semifinals or the national title game in the last five(!) NCAA Tournaments, with UConn holding a slight 3-2 edge over Muffet McGraw and the Lady Irish," he gives the false impression of closeness and parity. Credit to ND, but the more meaningful numbers Whitlow should have noted: UConn has won 5 of the past 7 National Championships during which time "the Lady Irish of Notre Dame" NEVER could beat UConn, losing every time the two met in the most important game of the year and relegated to a 4-time runner up.

4) No mention of UConn's/Geno's Wooden-esque and incomparable record of 10-0 in National Championship games.

5) Noting this year's toughest "foes" to be Ohio State and ND, while somehow omitting likely the strongest and highest pre-season ranked opponent, South Carolina... makes no sense.

6) Omitting Jennifer Rizzotti and Maria Conlon from his list of "women Auriemma has coached during his tenure as UConn head coach." :mad::mad: That I will never accept.

7) UConn did not "tear down Pat Summitt's empire in Knoxville." That's just a pile of ridiculousness- the Lady Vol program has simply gone through a difficult, rebuilding period after Pat's departure. (Note to Mr. Whitlow- this is the time when you can use the term "Lady" to describe a program.)

JAVA... despite some nice inclusions, this article was very MEH.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Java- I always enjoy reading the interesting articles you post about anything UConn WBB, but this one was really annoying and poorly researched. The author appears to know little about women's basketball in general and UConn WBB specifically...

1) Nobody but nobody who is knowledgeable in WCBB would make the frequent and repugnant references to "the Lady Huskies" :eek: and "the Lady Irish of Notre Dame." :eek: YIKES! That is just so wrong (offensive even) and shows a complete lack of familiarity with the women's game. Maybe he's from Knoxville, but it's still no excuse for that calumny.

2) Despite providing an asterisk after her name, the author should not have tried to embellish the list of "Women Auriemma has coached during his tenure..." by including Elena Delle Donne. Geno's credentials are impressive enough without the ridiculous fudging.

3) When the author writes..."The two programs have met either in the national semifinals or the national title game in the last five(!) NCAA Tournaments, with UConn holding a slight 3-2 edge over Muffet McGraw and the Lady Irish," he gives the false impression of closeness and parity. Credit to ND, but the more meaningful numbers Whitlow should have noted: UConn has won 5 of the past 7 National Championships during which time "the Lady Irish of Notre Dame" NEVER could beat UConn, losing every time the two met in the most important game of the year and relegated to a 4-time runner up.

4) No mention of UConn's/Geno's Wooden-esque and incomparable record of 10-0 in National Championship games.

5) Noting this year's toughest "foes" to be Ohio State and ND, while somehow omitting likely the strongest and highest pre-season ranked opponent, South Carolina... makes no sense.

6) Omitting Jennifer Rizzotti and Maria Conlon from his list of "women Auriemma has coached during his tenure as UConn head coach." :mad::mad: That I will never accept.

7) UConn did not "tear down Pat Summitt's empire in Knoxville." That's just a pile of ridiculousness- the Lady Vol program has simply gone through a difficult, rebuilding period after Pat's departure. (Note to Mr. Whitlow- this is the time when you can use the term "Lady" to describe a program.)

JAVA... despite some nice inclusions, this article was very MEH.
Nice dissection of the article. I TOO WILL NOT ACCEPT MARIA and JEN (Real Connecticut Women) from being excluded or EDD Being included.
However the premise of the article --Geno Vs John (Wooden) is interesting, albeit impossible to make it stick. My personal opinion is Geno has out shown (shined) Mr Wooden in many aspects of the game, accepting that John led men/Geno led Women. In Geno's formative years the skill of men was like Men were from Mars, Women from Earth
It does not bother me that the author used ladies for Women's teams--it just showed ignorance.
Uconn didn't tear down Pat or her Empire, But Geno built a Republic beyond any Empire.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Java - thanks for posting, but agree that the article is not well researched or written - I think I recognize the writer from a previous piece, that also wasn't very good. BUT, I do like women's basketball getting attention in forums that typically do not even recognize that both genders play hoops.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and I don't think Sales is the leading scorer anymore. Nice intentions but seems poorly researched.

If the intent was to further, widen the view of many, of Women's basketball I applaud all that will do this. WBB in my view is exceptionally overlooked by local media's around the country. Only with prodding will some include WNBA schedules and scores. What is most disconcerting is that unless a local woman's team breaks 3 legs or hits an improbable score will you read about it or hear about it on local TV.
Connecticut WBB fans have been spoiled. When we enter another team market we expect the same coverage --and it rarely happens!!
I was in South Carolina last week and spoke to many about the USC team in Columbia and Florence--few knew of the team or where it stands nationally- very very few. I'll keep talking WBB maybe it will tweek a bit of interest.
Ask the same questions in Ct and you get an earful.

Reaction Score
Putting EDD in the list of players Geno has coached is ridiculous, considering she never put on the uniform or attended a practice. Leaving out Renée Montgomery, Steffi Dolson and Jennifer Rizzotti made it only worse. Finally, writing that "this season will be more of a challenge" ignores the fact that they have four starters returning, a 6-5 Big East Rookie of the Year eligible, and a/the top recruiting class led by The High School Player of the Year. No year is easy, but you've got Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck and Nurse returning, with 10 national championship rings between them. You have a team that has learned what it takes to climb the mountain. You have seniors that have a burning desire to do what's never been done before – go four for four.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and I don't think Sales is the leading scorer anymore. Nice intentions but seems poorly researched.
Nice dissection of the article. I TOO WILL NOT ACCEPT MARIA and JEN (Real Connecticut Women) from being excluded or EDD Being included...
Java - thanks for posting, but agree that the article is not well researched or written...
Putting EDD in the list of players Geno has coached is ridiculous, considering she never put on the uniform or attended a practice. Leaving out Renée Montgomery, Steffi Dolson and Jennifer Rizzotti made it only worse...
Certainly don't disagree, but I do enjoy reading just about anything written about Geno and the ladies. And, to occasionally stir the pot a little, is kind of fun.

I think I'll go back to my cave now and cancel my subscription to The Daily Slate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom