UConn Women's Basketball Player Breakdowns: Mir McLean | The Boneyard

UConn Women's Basketball Player Breakdowns: Mir McLean

Reaction Score
Sadly, this analysis seems rather shallow.

Mir is a very talented athlete, but, unfortunately, seems not to have a mid-range jump shot that can be counted on. As such, she cannot get serious minutes. Her lack of playing time has nothing to do with her height.

I hope she puts in the time to develop her game. We shall see.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Sadly, this analysis seems rather shallow.

Mir is a very talented athlete, but, unfortunately, seems not to have a mid-range jump shot that can be counted on. As such, she cannot get serious minutes. Her lack of playing time has nothing to do with her height.

I hope she puts in the time to develop her game. We shall see.
The bolded sentence above is a non sequitur. If Mir were 3 or 4 inches taller, then she could make her living in the paint and would not need a reliable midrange jump shot to make a contribution -- as Aaliyah Edwards has proven. Not that it wouldn't help -- having such a shot would get her even more minutes.

Her lack of minutes (as with Aubrey) results from being too small to play like Aaliyah in the paint, and lacking enough of a jump shot to play effectively on the wing. The only solution for either Mir or Aubrey is to develop a reliable midrange shot.

Reaction Score
The bolded sentence above is a non sequitur. If Mir were 3 or 4 inches taller, then she could make her living in the paint and would not need a reliable midrange jump shot to make a contribution -- as Aaliyah Edwards has proven. Not that it wouldn't help -- having such a shot would get her even more minutes.

Her lack of minutes (as with Aubrey) results from being too small to play like Aaliyah in the paint, and lacking enough of a jump shot to play effectively on the wing. The only solution for either Mir or Aubrey is to develop a reliable midrange shot.
Unfortunately, developing a reliable midrange shot is extremely difficult thing to do. I'm almost of the opinion that if you are not born with some prerequisite skills, you are not going to develop a reliable midrange shot. For example, I could practice 16 hours a day, and you could coach me until the cows came home, and I would never develop a reliable midrange shot. Has any player who completely lacked a midrange shot been able to develop a reliable one? Probably, but I can't think of one off the top of my head.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, developing a reliable midrange shot is extremely difficult thing to do. I'm almost of the opinion that if you are not born with some prerequisite skills, you are not going to develop a reliable midrange shot. For example, I could practice 16 hours a day, and you could coach me until the cows came home, and I would never develop a reliable midrange shot. Has any player who completely lacked a midrange shot been able to develop a reliable one? Probably, but I can't think of one off the top of my head.
Michael Jordan

Reaction Score

I don't think my statement is a non-sequitur. She is the size she is. Aaliyah's game too is limited, because she doesn't have a reliable midrange shot. Geno himself has said she needs to develop such.

Mir is plenty tall enough to play regularly, especially with her very superior elevation. As you yourself wrote, she needs a midrange game. If Michael can do it, per Nick, she can do. Will she ever be as deadly as KML? No, but that's OK. We really could use a small forward with her athleticism. We don't have one.

We can all hope for her. We shall see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom