UConn Women's Basketball owns the AAC | The Boneyard

UConn Women's Basketball owns the AAC

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UConn can’t simply show up for the trophy presentation this year as in years past. The Huskies will need to work this year to win the conference tournament. I have no doubt that Geno and the team will be ready for the challenge.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
So the point is, Mr Writer, is that the AAC is a crap conference. And unfortunately, it is dragging UConn down to its level.
I hear this argument made quite often. I agree that the AAC is not the most challenging , but it is where they are now. What is the solution to this problem?
It appears that UConn has tried numerous times to move up into a more competitive group. If it were only the women's basketball team , but the entire sports program must travel with the Husky ladies. What conference wants UConn football? Until there can be a "super conference" of the very best teams, our women are held back by the men's teams. It is frustrating, but is there an alternative? :confused:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So the point is, Mr Writer, is that the AAC is a crap conference. And unfortunately, it is dragging UConn down to its level.
Yea, since they joined (were sentenced to) the AAC, they have only won 3 NC's and have only made 5 FF appearances (sure, out of 5, but still only 5). And lost 5 freaking games.

It's getting bad, man, really bad. :mad:

Reaction Score
In reply to those that that disagree with my comment concerning UConn play and the AAC, you certainly are entitled to your opinion. In my opinion, the mystique of UConn's greatness is waning. With the graduation of Lou and Pheesa, prospects are mightly low for next years team unless a couple of rabbits are pulled out of the hat. All of you had a glimpse of what that team looked like on floor during the USF game and it was not the high quality basketball that occurred in the past. It was frantic. The best part of the game was the quickness of the 4 guards and ONO who pressed the USF team to fluster their play. I'm not sure that this type of play is going to beat a Baylor with 3 6'5 players. And the way they played during that game, they would be crushed by a Louisville, Mississippi State, and other top 10 teams bringing their A game. Disagree, if you must, but I saw what I saw and the single recruit for next year does not give many options or the balance they have had in the past.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I hear this argument made quite often. I agree that the AAC is not the most challenging , but it is where they are now. What is the solution to this problem?
It appears that UConn has tried numerous times to move up into a more competitive group. If it were only the women's basketball team , but the entire sports program must travel with the Husky ladies. What conference wants UConn football? Until there can be a "super conference" of the very best teams, our women are held back by the men's teams. It is frustrating, but is there an alternative? :confused:

Well, my butcher, who is an absolute basketball fanatic for both men's and women's college ball and watches every UConn women's game that doesn't conflict with his beloved MSU Bobcats, that butcher says we have to jettison football and be welcomed back into the smaller Big East and there is money there like never before. He's a basketball fan nonpareil. Since he agrees with me on this, I think he's a genious.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In reply to those that that disagree with my comment concerning UConn play and the AAC, you certainly are entitled to your opinion. In my opinion, the mystique of UConn's greatness is waning. With the graduation of Lou and Pheesa, prospects are mightly low for next years team unless a couple of rabbits are pulled out of the hat. All of you had a glimpse of what that team looked like on floor during the USF game and it was not the high quality basketball that occurred in the past. It was frantic. The best part of the game was the quickness of the 4 guards and ONO who pressed the USF team to fluster their play. I'm not sure that this type of play is going to beat a Baylor with 3 6'5 players. And the way they played during that game, they would be crushed by a Louisville, Mississippi State, and other top 10 teams bringing their A game. Disagree, if you must, but I saw what I saw and the single recruit for next year does not give many options or the balance they have had in the past.

I do agree that the AAC is taking a toll, subtle though it may be. I do believe we are hurt to some degree in recruiting because our greatest challenges year in and year out are found out of conference. The best kids want to be challenged more regularly than we can provide in the AAC at present.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Does UConn have to be in a conference? Could the Huskies, as Notre Dame is in football, be an independent or are there regulations prohibiting that? If there's any franchise that could stand alone in women's basketball it's UConn.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In reply to those that that disagree with my comment concerning UConn play and the AAC, you certainly are entitled to your opinion.
Wasn't so much opinion, as it was just stating some facts. Everyone can have an opinion. Even if they are not supported by facts.

Reaction Score
Uconn owns the ACC like Kramer owned his karate class. ;).

True Uconn could be independent, but even if they just did that with Womens basketball it would be a problem. It is one thing getting scheduling during the time when no other teams are involved in league play and another when everyone is. Just think of the problems they would have getting games during conference play. Foot ball is on the week ends and far fewer games, but basketball is through out the week. They would soon run out of options because everyone else would have to schedule around their own conference games.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I am not disagreeing with your complaint about the AAC being a less challenging conference. You make your point, but offer no suggestions or solutions. So if you just want to complain, you have done so repeatedly. What are the steps you recommend the school and/or team should take? Anyone can point to a" problem", but the ones who can fix it are the valuable ones. We are a very successful program in the midst of some interesting circumstances. We have had lean years before and risen above them. And to be fair, UConn wbb has four losses in as many years iirc. The AAC might present some issues, but UConn will find a way to get back to the pinnacle. I would like to see a recruit that Geno "lost" say that the AAC was the reason they chose to go elsewhere. Until then, it just so much idle chatter and speculation.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Yea, since they joined (were sentenced to) the AAC, they have only won 3 NC's and have only made 5 FF appearances (sure, out of 5, but still only 5). And lost 5 freaking games.
It's getting bad, man, really bad. :mad:

Building on @meyers7 's response/comments...

I am reminded of when Florida State joined the ACC in football. The ACC was a pretty decent football conference at the time. Heck, Georgia Tech had won the UPI National Championship (now the USA Today Coaches' Poll) only two years earlier. Clemson had three straight 10-win seasons in the late 1980s.

And this is what Florida State did in its first 12 years in the conference:

FSU.PNG

Seasons 1-9? ACC record of 70-2 (97.22 percent).
Seasons 1-12? ACC record of 90-6 (93.75 percent).

Again, this is FOOTBALL, which, at most P5 schools and large universities is the "cash cow" and the program that receives the most attention, financing, alumni support (and criticism), etc. from the athletic departments.

What happened? The rest of the ACC worked even harder to not just compete with Florida State, but to achieve the Seminoles' results and even surpass FSU in some years.

As the author of the article (linked in the original post at NCAA.com) stated about UConn:

"It’s a combination of individual stardom...and team success no other program has been able to capture."

Nowhere did the author disparage the AAC. Rather, the author discussed how truly remarkable the UConn program is and has been overall and especially since joining AAC.

I am a Boneyard outsider, but my belief is that instead of criticizing/nitpicking the author of the article, the AAC, etc., perhaps we should simply take the time to contemporaneously appreciate when greatness -- and that IS the UConn women's basketball program -- is in our midst and we can see it happening right in front of us. We should feel lucky and grateful for the experience of witnessing greatness.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Well, my butcher, who is an absolute basketball fanatic for both men's and women's college ball and watches every UConn women's game that doesn't conflict with his beloved MSU Bobcats, that butcher says we have to jettison football and be welcomed back into the smaller Big East and there is money there like never before. He's a basketball fan nonpareil. Since he agrees with me on this, I think he's a genious.
If both of you agree that he is a "genious", neither of you is a genius. ;) Keep trying, Rocky boy.

Reaction Score
I am not disagreeing with your complaint about the AAC being a less challenging conference. You make your point, but offer no suggestions or solutions. So if you just want to complain, you have done so repeatedly. What are the steps you recommend the school and/or team should take? Anyone can point to a" problem", but the ones who can fix it are the valuable ones. We are a very successful program in the midst of some interesting circumstances. We have had lean years before and risen above them. And to be fair, UConn wbb has four losses in as many years iirc. The AAC might present some issues, but UConn will find a way to get back to the pinnacle. I would like to see a recruit that Geno "lost" say that the AAC was the reason they chose to go elsewhere. Until then, it just so much idle chatter and speculation.
How about Haley Jones?

Reaction Score

How quickly you forget.

I'm pretty sure that Lousy Old Big East Conference was responsible for the terrible years starting in 2005. That lousy conference was dragging down the program to unimaginable depths. If only UCONN had been able to be part of a real conference. (I'm not even sure what emoji to use here)

Reaction Score
I do agree that the AAC is taking a toll, subtle though it may be. I do believe we are hurt to some degree in recruiting because our greatest challenges year in and year out are found out of conference. The best kids want to be challenged more regularly than we can provide in the AAC at present.
We all knew it would take a toll eventually, it was just a question of whether it was going to be five years or ten. First recruiting, then tourney seeding as our weak conference schedule is used against us. This year #1 seed in Albany, next year the 3 seed in Siberia.

Reaction Score
Well, my broker is E.F. Hutton , and E.F. Hutton says

UConn won’t be challenged until the regional championship. They will coast through the AAC as usual. Even without Lou.

The AAC is a bunch of chumps. When you can beat a team by 10 by only outplaying them for a 5-10 min stretch.

There is no solution to the AAC situation. None.

No UConn recruit will ever not come because of the AAC. We place more players in the WNBA, we have a big market TV deal, we’re on TV more than anybody. Our players become single name household names with celebrity status. In the end, they get to join the “sisterhood”.
No one but no one is gonna give that up because of the AAC — who get to pad everyone’s stats into AA consideration.

The UConn system produces pro players. There is no bigger carrot then that.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
How quickly you forget.

I'm pretty sure that Lousy Old Big East Conference was responsible for the terrible years starting in 2005. That lousy conference was dragging down the program to unimaginable depths. If only UCONN had been able to be part of a real conference. (I'm not even sure what emoji to use here)
:confused:Head bang :oops: Take your pick!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Your butcher isn't paying attention. From reports already leaked by the Memphis prez, one of the three AAC presidents on the media rights committee, the imminent new AAC deal with ESPN will pay each football school in the league about 8.5 million per year, up from about 3.3 million. Even next year, the last on the current contract, ESPN has apparently agreed to bump the payout up to 5 million. Right now the new Big East gets about 4 million per school from FOX, so the AAC will be getting roughly twice what the NBE schools are getting. ESPN is also a far better platform for the telecasts than FOX. The men's BB ratings on FOX for the NBE are abysmal. Nobody is watching. They routinely get beaten by women's games in the same time slots.

The NBE bears no resemblance to the Big East UConn belonged to. The premier women's programs from the old Big East are gone. Louisville, Syracuse, West Virginia and ND aren't there any more. It's a collection of medium to small enrollment, almost exclusively catholic colleges. These schools don't have the alumni numbers and general fanbase that even most AAC schools have. That's why their TV ratings absolutely suck. Almost nobody cares anymore.

Like it or not, football is the only way UConn ever will get into a P5 conference. Dropping it as a sport right now kills any chance of that ever happening, and would constitute virtual suicide for the UConn AD as we now know it. It would relegate us to mid major status or worse forever. Unfortunately, we are in the best league we can be in from a financial standpoint, for the time being.

Last edited:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
How about Haley Jones?
How about Haley Jones? She said she chose Stanford because it was close to home, was an excellent place to get an education, and had a very diverse student population and faculty. Not one mention about how "lousy "the AAC is. So how about her? I do not know what your point is here. But let me know if I misunderstood the question, I could have done so. :)

Reaction Score
It's really a question of attitude and anticipation. In Pac-12 there are virtually no off days. You have to bring your best for every game. UConn brings their best because of pride but it's not the same thing. Against USF UConn played a horrible first half against a team riddled with injuries. Was its Lou's physical absence or the idea of Lou not playing? Sure team played well after she left Houston game but the attitude was already set. And, yes, Jose coached a brilliant game, forcing Pheesa to assume Lou's role and that's not her game. With both Lou and Pheesa out this is a game that UConn had the talent to win against a depleted USF, just not the attitude.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom