UConn women | The Boneyard

UConn women

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The women's team is showing they have no clue how to play in a close game. I guess when you always win by 40 you forget how to execute in a close game. The last minute UConn just let the Stanford guards go in for uncontested layups and then they give up the wide open three for the tie. Hope they find a way to pull it out in OT but this is dreadful to watch.

Reaction Score
I've only been watching the past 5 minutes but they've been brutal defending off the bounce, Stanford getting to the rim way too easily

Reaction Score
You're right they were absolutely horrible defending off the bounce, nobody can fight through a screen and the initial defender gets burned every time without any help defense coming over. They were somehow even worse on offense, they were absolutely clueless. For such a great team it was an embarrassing performance.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The next time someone is blabbing a about how fundamentally sound women's basketball is..

1. Down 3, drive for a layup with 2 seconds
2. After missing the first free throw... making the second is so crazy it's hard to quantify.

Reaction Score
I love the backwards pass with under 2 seconds left. What were they thinking?

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
They played some awful basketball at the end of regulation into OT. I mean mind numbingly bad stuff.

Reaction Score
What the heck was Lewis doing putting on a dribbling clinic with one second left??? UGLY

Reaction Score
The next time someone is blabbing a about how fundamentally sound women's basketball is..

1. Down 3, drive for a layup with 2 seconds
2. After missing the first free throw... making the second is so crazy it's hard to quantify.
It's just so nonsensical, anytime I watch a women's game I'm blown away at the lack of fundamentals. The only games I watch are when the UConn women play another top 10 team, I can't imagine what the fundamentals are like for the non-elite teams.

Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if they don't lose most of their tough OOC games. Worst looking UConn team I can remember.

How do you not get a shot off to end the game. At least fling it towards the rim.

Reaction Score
I watched almost the whole game. That Stanford team is really nothing special. If UConn had played even halfway decent they would've blown their doors off.

Frustrating to watch.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's just so nonsensical, anytime I watch a women's game I'm blown away at the lack of fundamentals. The only games I watch are when the UConn women play another top 10 team, I can't imagine what the fundamentals are like for the non-elite teams.

I'm seriously blown away that they would make the second free throw. If you miss the first, an air ball is no worse than a make.

Reaction Score
My guess if UConn plays Stanford in the final 4 they will win by between 20-30 points. UConn has to develop their guard play more and clean up some things but there is no way Stewart and Lewis will look that horrendous again. UConn pretty much had three games look like this against Notre Dame 2 season ago and then licked their butts in the tourney on their way to another title.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if they don't lose most of their tough OOC games. Worst looking UConn team I can remember.

How do you not get a shot off to end the game. At least fling it towards the rim.
They will get better, but have to find a way to hide KML on defense. She's a huge liability.

Reaction Score
I'm seriously blown away that they would make the second free throw. If you miss the first, an air ball is no worse than a make.

Not to mention how do the Huskies not give the ball to Stewart with 2.5 seconds left? Is she not the best player on the floor? Even if she gets it at half court she has time to drive and get a shot off, and if they defend her she's the only one on the team strong enough to have a snowballs chance at a half court shot.

What does tossing it to the guard deep in your backcourt do? They looked like a rec team.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

There is virtually no chance of that happens. As Fishy mentioned, they have a bad game once about every 48 months. They are still the best team in women's ball by a significant margain on a neutral court.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Not to mention how do the Huskies not give the ball to Stewart with 2.5 seconds left? Is she not the best player on the floor? Even if she gets it at half court she has time to drive and get a shot off, and if they defend her she's the only one on the team strong enough to have a snowballs chance at a half court shot.

What does tossing it to the guard deep in your backcourt do? They looked like a rec team.
After the made shot Stewart grabbed the ball and begged someone to come back and inbound. I can't believe they didn't have a play set up, sure didn't look like they did.

Reaction Score
Geno would be ripped as a men's coach for some of his late game "coaching". The refs gave UConn a free timeout to check the clock, and yet when the clock was set, nobody knew who was supposed to take the ball out of bounds - and you end up passing the ball to your center 80 feet from the basket, who passes it back to the inbounder. It would have taken a miracle (2.6 isn't enough time in the women's game usually), but that wasn't the way to get it.

UConn shot 18 foot jumpers with 20 seconds on the shot clock on both possessions between 1:00-2:00 left - one from Stewart up by five (I expect much better judgment from a POY) and one from Stokes up by three (who under no circumstances should be shooting jumpers in the last two minutes). Idiotic. And they had no clue how to defend the three on the last possession. Jefferson didn't guard anyone - she just left her man to bring help where it wasn't needed and stopped half way and gave up a wide open look. This is mostly a veteran team, so I would expect them to look like they've been coached in late game situations. Stanford needed a three to tie and executed something and got a good look. We needed a three to tie and dribbled around for 17 seconds and went for two.

Geno is outstanding at game planning, but put him in a close game late and he's often out of his element. The weak side alley oop with 17 seconds left in a tie Big East championship game was one of the worst coaching calls I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom