UConn Women’s Basketball Positional Preview: Guards | The Boneyard

UConn Women’s Basketball Positional Preview: Guards

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
UConn Women’s Basketball Positional Preview: Guards
Perhaps a bit thin on analysis.
Crystal Dangerfield - Junior
Dangerfield adds another force from beyond the arc for the Huskies. In her sophomore season, she ranked 31st in the country by making 45 percent of her three-point attempts. She also scored an impressive 1.17 points per scoring attempt for the Huskies last season.
Megan Walker - Sophomore
Walker returns for her sophomore year poised to step up and be a contributor in the UConn backcourt. Senior teammate Katie Lou Samuelson had great things to say about Walker at AAC Media Day.
Christyn Williams - Freshman
It is rare that a freshman at UConn is able to impact the team from the start. However, with a thinner roster than years past, expect Williams to rise to the opportunity and contribute early on
Molly Bent - Junior
She did, however, show flashes of improvement in her second season. Most notably, in UConn’s 81 point victory over Wichita State last season, Bent tallied nine points, four rebounds and three steals in 14 minutes on the floor. Bent was also plagued by turnovers last season, posting the third worst turnover rate in the country at 51.9 percent.
Mikayla Coombs - Sophomore
Hopefully she can return healthy for her sophomore season, and improve her game with a year of college experience under her belt and earn the backup point guard job.
Lexi Gordon - Sophomore
Hopefully she can elevate her game for her sophomore year to give the Huskies strong minutes from the bench.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Might help if they knew Walker and Gordon aren't guards.
It was my belief that Megan and Gordon will, if qualified, fill in as a Wing with Megan doing a bit more battling under the boards--her play last season seemed to say she had, ala Napheesa, a nose for the ball. Gordon if the Soph leap is with her she could be an X factor as a wing.
Coombs showed speed and defense in the little time she played last season. If all who have supported her are right she could be a backup for Danger. We shall see what we shall see.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Assuming that UConn goes small, Megan will most definitely be battling other teams BIGS as Gabby’s replacement in the lineup.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Regarding Meghan: I have an unanswerable question that has been running around in my head for months. So I'll get it out. Short, but not simple. What happened, or did not happen to her last season? A quote from Lou in the article:

She’s solid for us no matter what, and she’s been great for us. She can score. She can muscle with anyone down there. She’s one of our strongest players,” Samuelson said. “Just the difference in how she carries herself and how she approaches practice is really key for us. She could be one of the most important parts to our team.”

Whatever difficulties she was having she handled stoically. There have been suggestions that she was surprised by the effort required to be a Husky and could not commit to embracing that challenge. She has said she was not in condition to play as long and as hard as required. It stupifies me when I see this occur and to a number 1 recruit.

Equally intriquing is how, shortly post season, Meg was turning it around, training hard with Phee under professional guidance out west. We know every player goes off season after a post season review with the coaching staff; chiefly Geno. It's not hard to imagine that talk between Geno and his #1 recruit - how there could have been another Nattie Trophy on the shelf behind his desk - but that may not have been part of it at all.

I do hope that my puzzlement over Meg's freshman campaign grows exponentially as she bursts onto the scene this fall.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Regarding Meghan: I have an unanswerable question that has been running around in my head for months. So I'll get it out. Short, but not simple. What happened, or did not happen to her last season? A quote from Lou in the article:

She’s solid for us no matter what, and she’s been great for us. She can score. She can muscle with anyone down there. She’s one of our strongest players,” Samuelson said. “Just the difference in how she carries herself and how she approaches practice is really key for us. She could be one of the most important parts to our team.”

Whatever difficulties she was having she handled stoically. There have been suggestions that she was surprised by the effort required to be a Husky and could not commit to embracing that challenge. She has said she was not in condition to play as long and as hard as required. It stupifies me when I see this occur and to a number 1 recruit.

Equally intriquing is how, shortly post season, Meg was turning it around, training hard with Phee under professional quidance out west. We no every player goes off season after a post season review with the coaching staff; chiefly Geno. It's not hard to imagine that talk between Geno and his #1 recruit - how there could have been another Nattie Trophy on the shelf behind his desk - but that may not have been part of it at all.

I do hope that my puzzlement over Meg's freshman campaign grows exponentially as she bursts onto the scene this fall.

Rocky you voiced (have written) that which many of us fans have been wondering: How can the number one player in HS year not be a serious contributor as a frosh.
I offer this as the (if there were a real turnaround) as to the reason: Napheesa! Anyone, especially a top Frustrated Frosh needs some one like Collier for support and guidance, it CAN work wonders.
Thanks for stating what we were wondering.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Might help if they knew Walker and Gordon aren't guards.
Both listed as "guard/forward" on the roster. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1540907686675.png

Reaction Score
So who is our primary backup PG? Crystal can’t/shouldn’t be playing 40 minutes - gotta save those shins for when it counts. Not Molly. Coombs?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So who is our primary backup PG? Crystal can’t/shouldn’t be playing 40 minutes - gotta save those shins for when it counts. Not Molly. Coombs?

Who needs a PG in positionless basketball? Everybody just mills around anyway. All joking aside, I think you have hit on the $64,000 Question @j66kicker .

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score

I am guessing Mikayla (if healthy). She showed a lot of potential. Mikayla had the speed and the defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom