UConn Women’s Basketball: Geno Auriemma Sets High Bar for Azura Stevens | The Boneyard

UConn Women’s Basketball: Geno Auriemma Sets High Bar for Azura Stevens

Reaction Score
Z sounds like she’s going to be special, Geno coaching her is almost like getting a second chance with EDD, I think she can be that type of player. I’m not surprised hearing about her struggles in the post, this is probably the first time she’s been asked to play center in a while, always having a bigger post to play with at Duke. It’s exciting to hear Geno say she can score 25 or so easily, definitely looking forward to watching her play.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Classic Geno: Azura should feel a lot better. This is what, our 12th practice? And she just blocked her second shot so she should feel better,” he said.

Beautiful!!! I almost choked on my morning coffee reading that quote...

Reaction Score
I don't think @HuskyNan got this article into the news updates for today.

Classic Geno: Azura should feel a lot better. This is what, our 12th practice? And she just blocked her second shot so she should feel better,” he said.

UConn Women’s Basketball: Geno Auriemma Sets High Bar for Azura Stevens
he
In this piece goes the end to the belief of those who thought Z would only be a Wing and not be a post defender. With her size who, with BB knowledge, could think GENO would user her otherwise. She swatted her "2"nd post block?? Motivational.
I enjoyed this, I doubt she'll be another Kiah but who is; if she concentrates on only the most likely scores, UConn will be super great.

Reaction Score
he
In this piece goes the end to the belief of those who thought Z would only be a Wing and not be a post defender. With her size who, with BB knowledge, could think GENO would user her otherwise. She swatted her "2"nd post block?? Motivational.
I enjoyed this, I doubt she'll be another Kiah but who is; if she concentrates on only the most likely scores, UConn will be super great.
It's because players like her and Wilson during recruitment say they are wings and don't want to mix it up down low. If Z wants to be a great player, she's going to have to learn to dominate inside and out like Stewie.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
he
When you think about it... that team last year could have used a Kiah Stokes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
he

It's because players like her and Wilson during recruitment say they are wings and don't want to mix it up down low. If Z wants to be a great player, she's going to have to learn to dominate inside and out like Stewie.
I think you maybe reading too much into "how Geno intends to use Azura' " from this one article. Stewie was going to be a dominant player wherever she played, but in her time at UCONN Stewie never has to be the primary low post defender because she had the law firm of Dolson, Stokes & Tuck to be that. I don't envision that role (primary low post defender) for Azura either. Even when she is not the primary low post defender Azura will still have plenty opportunities to block shots and rebound because of how the UCONN defense rotates and switches. At 6'6" if Azura can learn to switch adequately on the perimeter UCONN defense will be even more devastating. I don't think Azura has to learn to be dominant inside to be considered a great player. Azura's role model is Kevin Durant.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It appears that every year Geno has at least one Husky in his “doghouse.” The past 2 seasons it was Lou. Before that it was Stewie, KML and others.

One of the absolute requirements to be in Geno’s doghouse is the ability to be great. So Z should take some comfort that she’s in Geno’s doghouse this year, because the only way out for Z is to become the great player that Geno expects her to be.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It appears that every year Geno has at least one Husky in his “doghouse.” The past 2 seasons it was Lou. Before that it was Stewie, KML and others.

One of the absolute requirements to be in Geno’s doghouse is the ability to be great. So Z should take some comfort that she’s in Geno’s doghouse this year, because the only way out for Z is to become the great player that Geno expects her to be.
I think UConn's going to need to build a bigger doghouse this year. Perhaps with central heating.

Reaction Score

I beg to differ on a tiny point----If Geno SAYS she'll be a great player, and demands greatness, she'll learn to dominate like Stew, maybe better---think of what Stew would have been at six feet six inches???

Reaction Score
I think you maybe reading too much into "how Geno intends to use Azura' " from this one article. Stewie was going to be a dominant player wherever she played, but in her time at UCONN Stewie never has to be the primary low post defender because she had the law firm of Dolson, Stokes & Tuck to be that. I don't envision that role (primary low post defender) for Azura either. Even when she is not the primary low post defender Azura will still have plenty opportunities to block shots and rebound because of how the UCONN defense rotates and switches. At 6'6" if Azura can learn to switch adequately on the perimeter UCONN defense will be even more devastating. I don't think Azura has to rue ]]learn to be dominant inside to be considered a great player. Azura's role model is Kevin Durant.

If Z proves to be able to swat more than one or two more blocks in games --bonus. Whether she is a wing full time or Post defender full time or Post Offense full time--most likely isn't how Geno sees it. My best bet is that in big games against tall top talent--she will be low post and defend (if not Z then who?)\\ Poor Geno with 8 or 12 talented kids thrust upon him--he will play Azura Steven's anywhere he wants and not always a Wing, or Perimeter defender or Post Off/De --this NOT just true of Ms Stevens, but the top 6 or 7 players; the new kids will find it hard just adapting to Geno's systems.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom