UConn women’s basketball averages better TV ratings in Hartford/New Haven than Red Sox baseball, ‘Thursday Night Football,’ SNY says | The Boneyard

UConn women’s basketball averages better TV ratings in Hartford/New Haven than Red Sox baseball, ‘Thursday Night Football,’ SNY says

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
UConn women’s basketball averages better TV ratings in Hartford/New Haven than Red Sox baseball, ‘Thursday Night Football,’ SNY says

Why post about it in the CR forum? I think we can all agree that UConn WBB isn't going to get us a P5 slot, but it isn't worth nothing either.

SNY, which broadcasts UConn women’s basketball, announced Tuesday that the Huskies had averaged a 6.00 household rating in the Hartford/New Haven market this season, a higher number than that of Red Sox games, Bruins games and “Thursday Night Football” typically receive in the region.

“This partnership with SNY is unlike any other in the country,” UConn athletic director David Benedict said in a statement. “SNY’s commitment to UConn and its fans is unmatched, from comprehensive gameday coverage, including pre- and post-game shows, to the many hours of additional UConn-related content.”

UConn men’s basketball games on SNY this season averaged a 2.61 household rating in the Hartford/New Haven market not a bad number given the quality and number of games SNY gets.

Keep in mind that the Hartford/New Haven DMA is @30th largest in the country and that their were other viewers outside of that DMA as well.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
UConn needs first refusal on any games not put on a major carrier. Combine all revenue sports and UConn could get at least $4M/year. Could be over 50 games in BB, FB, and Hockey.

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see who owns the T-3 UConn WBB rights in the AAC deal.

Can UConn sell them for a few million to SNY or are they propping up the ESPN+ deal with them.
Currently, I believe UConn has to share the SNY $$ equally with all the teams in the AAC. UConn needs to tell the AAC to go pound sand.

Reaction Score
Currently, I believe UConn has to share the SNY $$ equally with all the teams in the AAC. UConn needs to tell the AAC to go pound sand.

Not anymore...

>>The Huskies have a lucrative TV deal with SNY (about $1 million a year) and a media rights deal with IMG (bringing in about $9 million a year, and set to expire after 2017-18) that is one of the best in the nation. The SNY money had gone directly to the AAC and then split among all member schools, but UConn argued during recent conference meetings that it should keep that money. Athletic directors voted in favor of that proposal, and UConn will retain about $3.1 million over the next three years because of it.<<

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not anymore...

>>The Huskies have a lucrative TV deal with SNY (about $1 million a year) and a media rights deal with IMG (bringing in about $9 million a year, and set to expire after 2017-18) that is one of the best in the nation. The SNY money had gone directly to the AAC and then split among all member schools, but UConn argued during recent conference meetings that it should keep that money. Athletic directors voted in favor of that proposal, and UConn will retain about $3.1 million over the next three years because of it.<<

It will be key to understand if UConn keeps these T-3 rights. The schools kept them in the Big East - the AAC has taken them since.

This specific deal was in place prior to the original AAC deal. We shall see if it disappears now.

BTW what happened to within a week?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Here's the thing we are kind of a square peg in the round hole known as the American. Most of these schools are thrilled to be making north of million so our next media deal will be the stuff of dreams to them. It is a disappointment to us.

The rest of the teams in the league had no attachment to the Big East brand. Selling the name for millions made sense to them. It hurt us (even though we got a significant portion of the money from the sale).

Tournament in Memphis? That works it is a destination city of sorts to most of the league. To us, it pales in comparison to MSG and is miserable for us to get to.

Tier 3 rights are just another example. To the league the really aren't worth much. To us they are worth millions.

Aresco's decisions have, for the most part, been good for the American, but they've sucked for UConn.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Here's the thing we are kind of a square peg in the round hole known at the American. Most of these schools are thrilled to be making north of million so our next media deal will be the stuff of dreams to them. It is a disappointment to us.

The rest of the teams in the league had no attachment to the Big East brand. Selling the name for millions made sense to them. It hurt us (even though we got a significant portion of the money from the sale).

Game is Memphis, that works it is a destination city of sorts to most of the league. To us, it pales compares to MSG and is miserable for us to get to.

Tier 2 rights are just another example. To the league the really aren't worth much. To us they are worth millions.

Aresco's decisions have, for the most part, been good for the American, but they've sucked for UConn.

Yeah that is what is infuriating when Herbst is the head of the conference leadership group and they add Tulane and Tulsa - which are just two more worthless enterprises that suck from the teat.

And somepeople here supported that insanity.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn got the Tier 3 WBB money back a couple of years ago. They worked out a deal.

Permanently or just for the deal that was already in place with SNY?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Good question

At least Silver would have stolen it and asked it.

It’s been like two years and nobody has answered that question.

Reaction Score
At least Silver would have stolen it and asked it.

It’s been like two years and nobody has answered that question.

My guess is because that contract preceded the AAC contract they agreed to give it back to UConn.

I would think the new contract will not allow for any schools to hang on to their T3 rights. They are going to want as much content as possible for ESPN+.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My guess is because that contract preceded the AAC contract they agreed to give it back to UConn.

I would think the new contract will not allow for any schools to hang on to their T3 rights. They are going to want as much content as possible for ESPN+.

That has been my assumption too.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Thing I tweeted out- UConn should only be ok with that in exchange for the conference covering a huge percentage/all of UConn's travel costs ($7,000,000).

No idea if that's feasable, but it'd be a really smart thing to try. That would be a chunk of change that's probably more than SNY pays.

Now imagine the bluehairs trying to figure ESPN+ out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom