UConn WBB trademark: unselfishness more on display | The Boneyard

UConn WBB trademark: unselfishness more on display

Reaction Score

The last victory for the UConn women’s basketball team was relatively ho-hum, as this tumultuous season has gone. But in beating Georgetown 90-49 last Sunday, the Huskies produced a few memorable highlights.

Christyn Williams’ nifty move to the basket caused an opponent to fall down and her teammates on the bench to erupt. And then there was Nika Mühl setting an example of unselfishness. On one of UConn many turnover-driven fast-break opportunities, Mühl passed up an easy basket for herself and fed the ball to freshman Amari DeBerry for an even easier layup, bringing another celebration on the bench.

On a day UConn, with 22 assists on 33 buckets, was making the extra pass, Mühl made the extra-extra pass, and it created a feel-good moment, extending the Huskies’ lead to 34 with 5:59 left.

The basket with 5:59 left vs. Georgetown was an indication that the Huskies, now nearly completely healthy, are back to playing to their identity of getting everyone involved, whatever the score, as the regular season winds down.

Reaction Score
Actually, on Nika’s pass to Amari, not only did Nika pass up the layup herself, but she also passed up an assist to Caroline who was ahead of her, opting to reward her freshman BIG for running the court.
When I saw Nika get the ball to Amari my thought wasn't so much rewarding a big for running the court, which is a fine thing to do, but more to give a boost to a frosh who hasn't had much chance to shine.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
When I saw Nika get the ball to Amari my thought wasn't so much rewarding a big for running the court, which is a fine thing to do, but more to give a boost to a frosh who hasn't had much chance to shine.
That was probably the motivation but Nika would not say that publicly

Reaction Score
The basket with 5:59 left vs. Georgetown was an indication that the Huskies, now nearly completely healthy, are back to playing to their identity of getting everyone involved, whatever the score, as the regular season winds down.
Unselfish? Getting everyone involved? That's laughable!
In the Georgetown blowout, our so-called Big Three managed just 9 of 58 shots by the team. Liv - our lottery pick - was just 2 for 2; can you explain that???
In schoolyard parlance, our guards would be called "chuckers"! That's the opposite of 'unselfish' ... eh?

Reaction Score
Although those who missed time have returned - save two (Paige and Aubrey) - they are not quite fully healthy. Nika is limited to 45 min in practice because of lingering pain in her foot, Caroline head is not totally "clear" but she manages it and Olivia seems like she hasn't regained full use of her quick muscles and grip of her fingers......Azzi looks fine, though. But they are soldiering on, beginning to show what they have learned about UConn basketball.

It is moments of sharing like those in this game (don't forget Christyn's kick out to Amari for a 3) that enhance the experience of team growth. Bench cheering with unabashed enthusiasm that is probably unprecedented in the annals of UConn WBB? Paige influence, no doubt. That is all she can contribute for now but surely, it helps.....

Reaction Score
Although those who missed time have returned - save two (Paige and Aubrey) - they are not quite fully healthy. Nika is limited to 45 min in practice because of lingering pain in her foot, Caroline head is not totally "clear" but she manages it and Olivia seems like she hasn't regained full use of her quick muscles and grip of her fingers......Azzi looks fine, though. But they are soldiering on, beginning to show what they have learned about UConn basketball.

It is moments of sharing like those in this game (don't forget Christyn's kick out to Amari for a 3) that enhance the experience of team growth. Bench cheering with unabashed enthusiasm that is probably unprecedented in the annals of UConn WBB? Paige influence, no doubt. That is all she can contribute for now but surely, it helps.....
You may want to take a trip back in time and watch the bench during and slightly after the years of the fab four. No one in the history of UConn basketball has jumped higher than Gabby Williams leading the cheers. Just sayin'

Reaction Score
Yup. That was my thinking after that play. Such a cool move by Nika, who just continues to improve her overall game and impressive leadership skills out there.

Reaction Score
You may want to take a trip back in time and watch the bench during and slightly after the years of the fab four. No one in the history of UConn basketball has jumped higher than Gabby Williams leading the cheers. Just sayin'
Oh, I remember Gabby.....but quite honestly, two things: no one could jump higher than Gabby in the whole history of UConn WBB (no matter what anyone wants to say) and I don't remember ever seeing all (six, in this case) on the bench contorting themselves and yelling in pure joy for good things happening on court. They refuse to let social decorum of ladylike behaviour to limit them!!!

Reaction Score
Hmmmm.....I should have said "I remember Gabrielle Lisa Williams" to make sure there is no confusion......

Hmm, again.....emojis don't stick?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Oh, I remember Gabby.....but quite honestly, two things: no one could jump higher than Gabby in the whole history of UConn WBB (no matter what anyone wants to say) and I don't remember ever seeing all (six, in this case) on the bench contorting themselves and yelling in pure joy for good things happening on court. They refuse to let social decorum of ladylike behaviour to limit them!!!
You must not have seen the bench when the UConn walk on scored the last basket in the 2016 Championship game.

Reaction Score
You must not have seen the bench when the UConn walk on scored the last basket in the 2016 Championship game.
I did but that was one-off.....this one is constant and I find it refreshing instead of boring, indeed!

Reaction Score
In the Georgetown blowout, our so-called Big Three managed just 9 of 58 shots by the team. Liv - our lottery pick - was just 2 for 2; can you explain that???
In schoolyard parlance, our guards would be called "chuckers"! That's the opposite of 'unselfish' ... eh?
Ahhhh, your Avatar says it all......

Reaction Score
Somebody needs a Snickers bar.

Reaction Score
I thought that Amari was going to dunk or at least had the fleeting thought to do so. Really, it was a good thing she didn't.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
As a team 57%, starters 21of 37

Reaction Score
Bad day eh? Need some chocolate milk? Maybe double malt at that......

Reaction Score
No, in schoolyard (or any other) parlance “chucking” is taking bad or quick shots without moving/sharing the ball or taking shots while passing up others who have better ones. I don’t think either of those things happened at all. Just citing sterile stats without the context of how the game was played and what good shots were available is just drawing overly simplistic conclusions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom