UConn WBB spends day at West Point | The Boneyard

UConn WBB spends day at West Point

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I suspect this trip had something to do with Geno’s close friendship with General Martin Dempsey, the former head of the Joint Chiefs and a graduate of West Point.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Same here. I am guessing some technical difficulties.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Strange thread. All Cat's messages are blank on my screen, except the first one contains a single " mark.

The posts contain tweets and are now blank for me as well.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Same here. I am guessing some technical difficulties.
Same here. I cannot see any items in any threads that contain any videos or uploads. Hard to follow a song thread without songs! :rolleyes:

Edit: Seems to have been fixed now .Thanks to the gods (a.k.a. mods) of the Boneyard

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No preseason games against Army in the near future. Not against another D1 team. Maybe an OOC game in the near future though.
Army has a decent women’s team that is generally competitive vs mid-major opponents. But in their one game vs an upper tier D1 team last season (Marquette), they lost by 30. I don’t think Geno would want to be part of a game where his Huskies blew out an institution he has great respect for by 50+ pts.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This field trip was a timely and relevant eye opener for our team, none of whom has been out on their own, or have had the experience of having a “real” job and real adult responsibilities..............yet. :confused:

They were exposed to some of the more rigorous and challenging responsibilities and expectations others their age have, as they have chosen to serve our country in the United States armed forces.

At West Point, they're playing a whole different ball game. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Challenges and responsibilities those cadets can’t walk away from (transfer) if they decide they no longer like their environment or their status on the team. At West Point, they're playing a whole different ball game. :cool:

Students at Service Academies can walk away (transfer) during their first two years with no penalties whatsoever, and many do. It is only once the third year begins that there is really a commitment.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Students at Service Academies can walk away (transfer) during their first two years with no penalties whatsoever, and many do. It is only once the third year begins that there is really a commitment.

Thanks, corrections made. I was drawing from my own personal experience in the service in the late 60's during the Viet Nam war era which included the draft. That was over 50 years ago. Times have changed. I was in an environment that you could not walk away from. Once you stepped forward and took the oath, you were in..................all the way for the entire duration of your commitment. There was no quitting, giving up or walking away (going over the wall). :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In the early 60's (62-5), i was a member of the West Point Band, along with a group of the finest young wind players in the country (not me), who later populated virtually all the major orchestras in the country from !at clarinet in Chicago, to !st trumpet in LA, also the MET, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Philly et al.

Hard to believe that a misfit like me survived in such a place, but I hung on (barely) to the bitter end of my enlistment and left a far more competent individual than I entered.

And, the Point initiated my passion for skiing which survives into my 8Oth year.

I imagine it hasn't changed all that much; never does.

Playing the numerous funerals during the early-stages of the Vietnam war was especially depressing.

And the commander, a Lt Colonel was idiot. We had a running hate relationship but he did (amazingly) allow me to finish up, so I shouldn't complain.

A great pal to this day; later became principal Bassoon at LA, was shipped out to the front lines of Korea (for playing wrong notes on a parade on purpose), which people did but you were supposed to deny when called on the carpet... He didn't...I never did; had a hard enough problem playing the right ones.

When his slo-plane to China arrived in Tokyo, he was immediately sent back home to a compromise slot at the Governor's Island Band as our (unbeloved) Colonel had been threatened by a committee of principal winds from New York, Chicago and various conservatories (Juilliard and Eastman) that if a hair on Alan's scalped was mussed, the Band would never get a prominent recruit again. The army backed down and fast.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In the early 60's (62-5), i was a member of the West Point Band, along with a group of the finest young wind players in the country (not me), who later populated virtually all the major orchestras in the country from !at clarinet in Chicago, to !st trumpet in LA, also the MET, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Philly et al.

Hard to believe that a misfit like me survived in such a place, but I hung on (barely) to the bitter end of my enlistment and left a far more competent individual than I entered.

And, the Point initiated my passion for skiing which survives into my 8Oth year.

I imagine it hasn't changed all that much; never does.

Playing the numerous funerals during the early-stages of the Vietnam war was especially depressing.

And the commander, a Lt Colonel was idiot. We had a running hate relationship but he did (amazingly) allow me to finish up, so I shouldn't complain.

A great pal to this day; later became principal Bassoon at LA, was shipped out to the front lines of Korea (for playing wrong notes on a parade on purpose), which people did but you were supposed to deny when called on the carpet... He didn't...I never did; had a hard enough problem playing the right ones.

When his slo-plane to China arrived in Tokyo, he was immediately sent back home to a compromise slot at the Governor's Island Band as our (unbeloved) Colonel had been threatened by a committee of principal winds from New York, Chicago and various conservatories (Juilliard and Eastman) that if a hair on Alan's scalped was mussed, the Band would never get a prominent recruit again. The army backed down and fast.
The Army does not back down! What you describe is a Colonel (singular)
changing his mind. A Colonel (singular) does not make an Army.
You describe the LTC as the idiot for call your buddy on the carpet for playing the wrong notes "on purpose"? What do you call your buddy?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom