UConn WBB Fans Instrumental In Bringing Inaugural All-Women Professional Stars Event To The Northeast In 2019 | The Boneyard

UConn WBB Fans Instrumental In Bringing Inaugural All-Women Professional Stars Event To The Northeast In 2019

Reaction Score
ALBANY NY - Oct. 15, 2018

1539689177811.png

…it was announced that the inaugural Aurora Games will be held at Times Union Center next August.

…the six-day event will be held Aug. 20-25. The plans are for the Aurora Games to be held every two years — future sites have not been determined.

Professional stars of women’s tennis, gymnastics, basketball, figure skating, ice hockey and beach volleyball will take part in the events, all of which will be held at the downtown arena. The competition itself will pit North and South America against the World.

…there are 15 countries that are interested in competing. He is hoping there will be between 20 and 30 when the event arrives next summer.

Last March, (Jerry Solomon) was in the building when the women's NCAA East Regional basketball final was held. He was impressed.

"We needed to go to a building that had the ability to turn over one sport to another to the next and the next and the next over a six-day period," Solomon said. "We knew it could be done here. We wanted to make sure we were in the hands of an organization that really understood big time sports. We saw that women's sports can draw big crowds here. Albany fit in so many respects."

Last March, the NCAA Women's East Regional drew a two-day total of 20,180, boosted by fans of top-ranked and regional winner Connecticut.

Athletes will be paid to participate in the Aurora Games and there will also be prize money.

Full article and more [HERE]

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I live 40 minutes from Times Union and have attended all of the Husky games there in the past, the announcement in the Capital District yesterday of the inaugural Aurora Games created more confusion than excitement.

Countries are interested? But none have committed. Paid professional athletes. Which ones? Will the WNBA, WTA and other women’s professional leagues get behind this? At this point I would be surprised if the Aurora Games over 6 days could match the 20,180 fans that showed up to watch the NCAA Regionals over 2 days. I hope I’m wrong.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Something else to consider here, the Games will take place over Aug 20-25. The US Open starts the last week of August and the WNBA playoffs start right around the same time, so you can pretty much count out the top women’s tennis & basketball players.

Reaction Score
Living only twenty minutes from the TUC I’ll be interested in who commits to coming.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom