UConn WBB — Winning Even Bigger Off The Court | The Boneyard

UConn WBB — Winning Even Bigger Off The Court

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So far. The team is 4-0 and she leads in assists. In any event, I have a feeling she'll have a pretty good career AFTER basketball regardless of what she chooses to do. She may not be the offensive force some of you were looking for but she leads the team in personality for sure.

Leading THIS team in personality---is a monumental task. 12 nice women, all engaged with kids, giving back--isn't a phrase with Christine/Geno this team--it's a way of life. God Bless them all, including Tiny Tim.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I admit to feeling queasy about such visits when the cameras and lights are on.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Why? Do you think it is self serving?

Self serving: the players no. It takes a certain amount of courage and grace to put on a happy face for deeply ill children. Program image polishing, maybe. It seems everyone does it. I don't think fostering community service and good deeds needs bringing lights and cameras. I know the argument can be made that light is shed on worthy causes, etc.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Self serving: the players no. It takes a certain amount of courage and grace to put on a happy face for deeply ill children. Program image polishing, maybe. It seems everyone does it. I don't think fostering community service and good deeds needs bringing lights and cameras. I know the argument can be made that light is shed on worthy causes, etc.

I understand. But this isn't the only community service these kids do. I don't think this was UConn produced video. Plus, these kids are under a microscope for everything they do. I could not help but notice that even in this thread there was so not so subtle references to Kia's offense. Really? If they get some positive attention for something they may be required to do, bring it on. I, for one, enjoyed it and am impressed.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I admit to feeling queasy about such visits when the cameras and lights are on.

I understand your concerns, and I agree that doing good deeds merely for self-promotion is questionable. But the video was produced by the hospital, not by UConn, so the cameras and lights were the hospital's choice. Here's a link to the video on Youtube, which shows the video was uploaded by Connecticut Children's Hospital:

Video on Youtube

Note the hospital's comment beneath the video, "We still can't stop smiling about our visit from UConn Women's Basketball last Friday!! A huge thank you to the team for taking time out of their busy schedules to visit our patients and families in the Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders. It was an incredible afternoon that turned into a full on dance party...and we wouldn't have it any other way!!"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I understand your concerns, and I agree that doing good deeds merely for self-promotion is questionable. But the video was produced by the hospital, not by UConn, so the cameras and lights were the hospital's choice. Here's a link to the video on Youtube, which shows the video was uploaded by Connecticut Children's Hospital:

Video on Youtube

Note the hospital's comment beneath the video, "We still can't stop smiling about our visit from UConn Women's Basketball last Friday!! A huge thank you to the team for taking time out of their busy schedules to visit our patients and families in the Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders. It was an incredible afternoon that turned into a full on dance party...and we wouldn't have it any other way!!"

I did go back and see that. That is a crucial distinction in this case.

Reaction Score
Not just UCWB but also the staff were fun to watch but those incredible kids stole the spotlight! Courage and Toughness from all the children. This is the play of the year for the Huskies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom