UConn Was Still Relevant Then | The Boneyard

UConn Was Still Relevant Then

Reaction Score
Think we all have to admit that in light of recent events we all went back and reviewed the 2011 and 2012 seasons today. Trick shots and DHS findings aside, we had to refresh our collective memories.

Gosh, what stuck out was despite what you think of the job HCPP did back then, UConn FB was still relevant. By today's standards we would take those schedules and those results in a heartbeat. How UConn FB has fallen since.

Reaction Score
I think the worst is over now but what I would give to see the Rent electric again like it was vs Michigan...

UM-UConn-.png

Reaction Score
Think we all have to admit that in light of recent events we all went back and reviewed the 2011 and 2012 seasons today. Trick shots and DHS findings aside, we had to refresh our collective memories.

Gosh, what stuck out was despite what you think of the job HCPP did back then, UConn FB was still relevant. By today's standards we would take those schedules and those results in a heartbeat. How UConn FB has fallen since.

While the '10 and '11 seasons were disappointing, and we were moving in the wrong direction, it does make you ask the following question: If the coaches had just started the '12 season with Cochran, instead of Whitmer, did we avoid the pit we fell into? Do we not start 0-4, P survives after a 4-10 or another 5-11 season and the nightmare we fell into never occur?

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
The Rent was the Rent when it was full and the crowd was going crazy about the game. Pitt '06. Louisville and USF '06. WVU and Pitt '10. And others to be sure.

That Pitt '06 game still makes me smile. The Rent was certainly rocking for that game!

Reaction Score
Back-to-back 5-7 seasons with a Big East schedule .

a good argument can be made that the AAC schedule is just as tough.

P was beyond terrible. Those two 5 - 11 seasons were the result of Edsall's recruiting on defense and Don Brown's coaching.

Do we need to be reminded that P inherited Joe Moorehead as offensive coordinator, but had to in his infinite wisdom give the job to GDL, then when things didn't go well on offense in 2011 his solution was to double down on GDL and put him in charge of the O-line in addition to being offensive coordinator.

P was horrific! and GDL was his Rasputin.

If you want to play the what could have been game you go back to the decision to hire P over Whipple. With Whipple we still would have had Don Brown plus a guy with a clue on how to run an offense and no GDL.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While the '10 and '11 seasons were disappointing, and we were moving in the wrong direction, it does make you ask the following question: If the coaches had just started the '12 season with Cochran, instead of Whitmer, did we avoid the pit we fell into? Do we not start 0-4, P survives after a 4-10 or another 5-11 season and the nightmare we fell into never occur?

Don't think there's any chance P would have gotten another year. Maybe he avoids the in season firing, but he was already on thin ice based on TJ being forced on him, don't think another under 500 year would have been enough.

Reaction Score
Pitt '06 was my first UConn game. And yes, we did leave early. Got to watch it on TV though I think. Todman picking up 3 on the 4th and 1 with 1:30 left in 2010 was the biggest thrill for me although seeing the faces of the Michigan fans for three quarters was high up there. Ironically, the Huskies were so high for that game, the low came against Western Michigan a week later. And that game provide the pretext for Warde.

Reaction Score
I hate the frigging whining. Some of you are insufferable.

HCRE has proven he can bring us to a highly creative competitive Program for New England. I expect HCRE will bring us to that ... and the Fanbase will return incrementally.

Reaction Score
At least the people who stayed!
Still blows me away people left early. Tossing out another game: the opener versus IU. Most people weren't sure about expectations, even more were clueless about how and when to cheer, but taking that first scalp was massive!

Reaction Score

When did we start playing 14 games (4-10) or a full NFL (5-11) schedule? Math aside, and the fact that Randy Edsall coached in '10, with PP coming on board for '11, I agree with the premise about starting Cochran instead of Witner at the start of the 2013 season (not 2012). One caveat would be whether the Cochran we would have seen under "Mr. Run Right, Run Left, Run up the Middle" Pasqualoni would have been as effective as the exciting, gunslinger QB that TJW allowed (encouraged?) him to become. His 36-54 game with 4 TDP's to close out that season was one of the most entertaining (not saying exciting or memorable) games in UConn Rentscher history.

Reaction Score
P started the spiral and he got canned mid-season because he lost control of the team. The culture HCRE had built had been fully destroyed. By all accounts Deleone was absolute poison.

Also, in P's first two seasons he had an NFL defense. Just about every member of that defense saw the field in the NFL. Getting bowl eligible should have been a piece of cake. Great defense and we ran a fly weight back for three seasons who went down if someone farted. Evidently the only thing he ever hit with any force was his girlfriend (yeah, I know, uncalled for). Deleone saw himself as a master technician, it simply did not need to be that complicated with the defense they had to keep winning football games.

Ward then handed the program off to Diaco and, simply to be kind, let's say Diaco wasn't ready.

My two cents.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uconn's fortunes could have been different if during Pasqualoni's first season he listens to his offensive coordinator and gives the starting QB job to Mike Nebrich instead of trick shot walk on Johnny McEntee. IIRC Moorehead left the following December and Nebrich left for Fordham not too long after that. Pasqualoni was no better than a blind man with a cane when selecting starting QB's.

Reaction Score
Uconn's fortunes could have been different if during Pasqualoni's first season he listens to his offensive coordinator and gives the starting QB job to Mike Nebrich instead of trick shot walk on Johnny McEntee. IIRC Moorehead left the following December and Nebrich left for Fordham not too long after that. Pasqualoni was no better than a blind man with a cane when selecting starting QB's.

I realize Boyle and Cochran were still around but he blew it on Richard Lagow too! NFL Draft Geek ranked Lagow the 18th overall NFL QB prospect just between Quinton Flowers and JT Barrett.

2018 NFL Draft Quarterback Rankings

January 11, 2018 Brian Johannes Rankings, Updated 7

ShareTweet

1 Josh Rosen UCLA JR 6’4 210

2 Sam Darnold USC SO 6’4 225

3 Baker Mayfield Oklahoma SR 6’1 209

4 Josh Allen Wyoming JR 6’5 222

5 Lamar Jackson Louisville JR 6’3 205

6 Kurt Benkert Virginia SR 6’4 215

7 Mike White Western Kentucky SR 6’4 225

8 Kyle Lauletta Richmond SR 6’2 215

9 Tanner Lee Nebraska JR 6’4 220

10 Mason Rudolph Oklahoma State SR 6’5 235

11 Riley Furgeson Memphis SR 6’4 210

12 Logan Woodside Toledo SR 6’1 201

13 Luke Falk Washington State JR 6’4 214

14 Austin Allen Arkansas SR 6’1 209

15 Quinton Flowers South Florida SR 6’0 210

16 Kevin Anderson Fordham SR 6’2 195

17 JT Barrett Ohio State SR 6’2 225

18 Richard Lagow Indiana SR 6’6 240

19 Wilton Speight Michigan SR 6’6 243

20 Brandon Silvers Troy SR 6’3 219

21 Johnny Stanton UNLV SR 6’2 245

22 Nick Stevens Colorado State SR 6’3 190

23 Matt Linehan Idaho SR 6’3 214

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Suspect that Lagow's attitude had as much to do with it as anything. Not signing his letter immediately was a tipoff. Oklahoma State passed on him too.

Reaction Score
Suspect that Lagow's attitude had as much to do with it as anything. Not signing his letter immediately was a tipoff. Oklahoma State passed on him too.

His attitude was a reflection of having no vision for the future.

Tim Boyle's flip from BC to UCONN was the reason Lagow didn't sign. Steve Addazio came over from Temple and favored a dual threat vs. a pro style QB. In all fairness to PP from my previous post, Pasqualoni had just come from the Cowboys and was instrumental in recruiting Lagow. So we can blame Addazio!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
a good argument can be made that the AAC schedule is just as tough.

P was beyond terrible. Those two 5 - 11 seasons were the result of Edsall's recruiting on defense and Don Brown's coaching.

Do we need to be reminded that P inherited Joe Moorehead as offensive coordinator, but had to in his infinite wisdom give the job to GDL, then when things didn't go well on offense in 2011 his solution was to double down on GDL and put him in charge of the O-line in addition to being offensive coordinator.

P was horrific! and GDL was his Rasputin.

If you want to play the what could have been game you go back to the decision to hire P over Whipple. With Whipple we still would have had Don Brown plus a guy with a clue on how to run an offense and no GDL.

Agree 1000% with this. Every word of it

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom