UConn vs. UConn | The Boneyard

UConn vs. UConn

Reaction Score
UConn clearly has lots of talent, as we have seen them win without much trouble even when only two or three starters play well. So here is a fantasy basketball question for everyone - how would this team do against previous UConn rosters? (Assume all players are healthy and play at or near their A-game.)

Come up with your answer before you read mine if you don't want my opinion to sway yours......

As much as I support the current team, I think they would lose to all but a few of the past UConn teams. (To confirm my memory, I have paged through rosters back to 2000-01.) I think this year's team would not beat the teams from the previous two years, with Kia and Gabby on the court, and they would not beat any of the Breanna Stewart teams. I also don't think they win against any of the Maya Moore teams or the Diana Taurasi teams, nor the teams just prior to Diana's era, which featured Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Svetlana, and a host of other strong players.

So who might they beat? Could they beat the 2011-12 team, which had Hayes, Doty, Hartley, Dolson and Faris? It might be a close game. I think their best chances to beat a past UConn team would be in the three years after Diana and before Maya. The 2004 -05 and 2005-06 years were probably the weakest for UConn in recent memory. The 2006-07 year (before Maya) had no seniors, and Tina Charles and Kaili McLaren were freshmen.

In total, if these fantasy games against the UConn teams of the past 20 or 21 years could be played, I think the current squad wins perhaps four games.

Reaction Score
UConn clearly has lots of talent, as we have seen them win without much trouble even when only two or three starters play well. So here is a fantasy basketball question for everyone - how would this team do against previous UConn rosters? (Assume all players are healthy and play at or near their A-game.)

Come up with your answer before you read mine if you don't want my opinion to sway yours.

As much as I support the current team, I think they would lose to all but a few of the past UConn teams. (To confirm my memory, I have paged through rosters back to 2000-01.) I think this year's team would not beat the teams from the previous two years, with Kia and Gabby on the court, and they would not beat any of the Breanna Stewart teams. I also don't think they win against any of the Maya Moore teams or the Diana Taurasi teams, nor the teams just prior to Diana's era, which featured Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Svetlana, and a host of other strong players.

So who might they beat? Could they beat the 2011-12 team, which had Hayes, Doty, Hartley, Dolson and Faris? It might be a close game. I think their best chances to beat a past UConn team would be in the three years after Diana and before Maya. The 2004 -05 and 2005-06 years were probably the weakest for UConn in recent memory. The 2006-07 year (before Maya) had no seniors, and Tina Charles and Kaili McLaren were freshmen.

In total, if these fantasy games against the UConn teams of the past 20 or 21 years could be played, I think the current squad wins perhaps four games.
I think the current squad wins perhaps four games.

Out of 100 ?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I see what you are trying to do and rather than critique your rationale,which is pretty solid, I will critique your timing. There are at least 7 different active BY threads, the gist of which is: This UCONN team is not what I'm used to seeing and therefore not as good as past UCONN teams. Personally I can't cosign an 8th such thread. I'm just going to enjoy the rest of KLS and Napheesa career.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As much as I support the current team, I think they would lose to all but a few of the past UConn teams.
I dont think its fair to judge a team until March. Of course a team that is replacing two all-star seniors with a freshman and sophomore is not going to be as good a little more than halfway through the season. Beating a ND team that was supposed to be better on their court shows the potential...

If they win it all wont that put them past all the non-championship UConn teams? I think what is interesting about your post is it highlights the problem for some enjoying this season. We are comparing them to past UConn teams. Duke men has a lost this season but most still consider them the favorite to win because of where they land against today's competition. If we beat LV on their court and #1 ND on theirs would that not make us a dangerous team that can win it all? And again elevates them....

Reaction Score
It’s easy to forget that the athleticism of players and the style of gameplay has changed dramatically since 2000. For example, do you really think Maria Conlon would be able to guard Crystal Dangerfield? How about Jessica Moore at the 5 against Collier?

If you go back and watch games from the early 2000s, the pace of play was very different. And rarely did big players stretch the floor. I think this team would create some mismatch opportunities based on the way the game is played today.

They could definitely grab some wins against the teams between Diana and Maya. I also think they would beat KML’s freshman season, between Maya and Stewie. But overall, I think we all know this isn’t the best UConn team we’ve ever had. Doesn’t mean I won’t enjoy watching them

Reaction Score
The current team is not as talented as any of the national champion teams. They are no as good as the undefeated teams. Why...we have no depth, we have no center, we have no defensive stopper , we have no toughness ( ala Jen R, Mo J, Stewie, ) we have little defensive coordination, we have little flow to our offense,
There are just too many negatives when faced with a top tier team. We would have to play with the same intensity as the ND game every time. That just is not happening.

Reaction Score
The current team is not as talented as any of the national champion teams. They are no as good as the undefeated teams. Why...we have no depth, we have no center, we have no defensive stopper , we have no toughness ( ala Jen R, Mo J, Stewie, ) we have little defensive coordination, we have little flow to our offense,
There are just too many negatives when faced with a top tier team. We would have to play with the same intensity as the ND game every time. That just is not happening.
no depth, no true center, no defensive stopper. I get although, Golden State doesn't exactly have a true center or depth either, that's the game now. As for no toughness? Thats just disrespectful and quite frankly, idiotic. There are multiple players on this team that have played through significant injuries. Too many negatives, yet we beat the defending champs by 18 on the road.

This team has 3 #1 recruits, a #3 & #6 recruit in the starting lineup with a couple other Mcdonald's All-Americans off the bench. TALENT isn't an issue. We're relying on alot of young players to step up early and it's mid-January. Placing final judgment on this team now is a big mistake. Everyone realizes we beat the #1 team on the road and our 2 AA's played good but not what they're capable of. We haven't even seen the ceiling of this team yet. Peaking in March is the goal, let's not forget that.

Reaction Score
It is almost impossible to compare different eras to each other!
The style of the game changes as time goes by. It would be like comparing the 1927, 1961 & 1998 New York Yankees! Who's got the better team?
Kara Wolters was asked a year or so ago where would her game/style of play fit into the present day?
Kara was an All-American and National Player of the Year by the time she graduated in 1997!
Kara answered she'd be coming off the bench with the last 2 players as she had no speed and no quickness to compare with today's athlete's! Her moves in the post would still work but the game has become much, much faster, better athletes, better conditioning! She said she played at the perfect time for her to have the success she had!

Reaction Score
no depth, no true center, no defensive stopper. I get although, Golden State doesn't exactly have a true center or depth either, that's the game now. As for no toughness? Thats just disrespectful and quite frankly, idiotic. There are multiple players on this team that have played through significant injuries. Too many negatives, yet we beat the defending champs by 18 on the road.

This team has 3 #1 recruits, a #3 & #6 recruit in the starting lineup with a couple other Mcdonald's All-Americans off the bench. TALENT isn't an issue. We're relying on alot of young players to step up early and it's mid-January. Placing final judgment on this team now is a big mistake. Everyone realizes we beat the #1 team on the road and our 2 AA's played good but not what they're capable of. We haven't even seen the ceiling of this team yet. Peaking in March is the goal, let's not forget that.
Instead of debate you have to stoop to name calling

Reaction Score
Glad this post finally got some attention. Why can’t you make comparisons? Have human beings changed that much? Heck, DT and Sue are still effective pros. Act like you’re talking about Charles Darwin’s finches. I just read, “Last Pass”, a book about Cousy, Russell, and the Celtics. Russell’s first year was 1957, Cousy’s around 4 years earlier. Both stars today? Russell for sure. How about the Big O? Yes. West? Baylor? Of course. Don’t forget aspects of the game were better back then.
Who here would not suit Kara up right now as our 5? It’s one of our missing ingredients. She was just being humble.
Somebody has to stop saying you can’t compare athletes from different eras! Of course you can and it’s fun to do. Why can’t you compare the Yankee teams? Cause you say so.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom