UConn vs. Temple Badass Award goes to.

Just a side comment. Tonya Cardoza is one heck of a coach. Her teams don't have any 5-star recruits, but they always play hard, move the ball on offense and give you everything you want. Some real smart AD in a P-5 conference might just want to consider offering her a HC job.
You know what's odd: Teams are supposed to reflect the personalities of their coach--and Tanya was just a nice girl when she played for Geno???--Not to worry: Ms Cardoza, if she WANTS, will find a nice HC job. I hope she rejects the one in Tenn.

O. Nelson-Ododa... I know she's still developing. She needs to get stronger, post harder and play under control...but my girl went for 10 pts and 6 rebs today! I mean c'mon...she had 4 fouls, but she managed to stay on the floor. :) I like that she is very feisty, and really wants to do well. ONO is my badass today!
Each game with Olivia Nelson Ododa you see significant progress. I maybe biased (helll, yes I am) but I think She is picking up anticipated or ticky tack foul calls. I never knew by Geno's reactions to those ccalls whether he was upset with her or the Refs. I'm impressed with the progress she has made on offense, she will need to score if she is to be useful when the big dance preliminaries begin.

UConn gave up 14 3s today, the most in school history. The old record was 13 set 20 years ago.
What I love about the BY so much, especially lately...we are in a thread where we fans can express our opinion on who was the best player(s) of the game and someone will post a "stat" like this. Wouldn't the post game thread, or create your own thread, be a more appropriate place?

Off the board a bit but with the crowd begging for Molly to score, hit a corner 3 and a nice little 2 pt from 8 ft. I think she has more upside than commonly thought.

It’s hard for any fan of the college game not to support and pull for Molly. I too, think she will continue to add more to the stat column, especially if she trusts herself more. I’m guessing that Molly has heard Geno utter something to the effect of “I think you’re a better player than you think you are”. The opposite of what a coach in today’s world is used to dealing with.

HuskyNan

Administrator
What I love about the BY so much, especially lately...we are in a thread where we fans can express our opinion on who was the best player(s) of the game and someone will post a "stat" like this. Wouldn't the post game thread, or create your own thread, be a more appropriate place?
Going off on a tangent is an old Boneyard tradition

oldude

bamboo lover
You know what's odd: Teams are supposed to reflect the personalities of their coach--and Tanya was just a nice girl when she played for Geno???--Not to worry: Ms Cardoza, if she WANTS, will find a nice HC job. I hope she rejects the one in Tenn.
A slight correction. Tanya coached under Geno. She played at UVA.

O. Nelson-Ododa... I know she's still developing. She needs to get stronger, post harder and play under control...but my girl went for 10 pts and 6 rebs today! I mean c'mon...she had 4 fouls, but she managed to stay on the floor. :) I like that she is very feisty, and really wants to do well. ONO is my badass today!
Whenever Liv is in the game, I watch her. She’s always aggressive, especially in the paint. She always sets up and calls for the ball. Everything is new to her. This is her first trip around the block. She's learning how to do things at this level. She's a good rebounder, and will get better. I predict that this is as bad as you will see her play while she's at UConn. Remember, she still has her training wheels on. She's still learning.

I'd bet a lot of your money that she'll get "it" by the time official practice begins in 8 months. She'll grow in many areas between now and then. She'll add a little muscle in the weight room as well. We may not recognize her come October. Fret not mon frere, Liv will be fine once she becomes a sophomore. She'll understand what she is supposed to do, and how she's suppose to do it. The game will slow down for her as well. I for one am not worried about Liv next year at all. For the next 3 years, Liv will be part of the solution, not the problem. ;)

Last edited:
It’s hard for any fan of the college game not to support and pull for Molly. I too, think she will continue to add more to the stat column, especially if she trusts herself more. I’m guessing that Molly has heard Geno utter something to the effect of “I think you’re a better player than you think you are”. The opposite of what a coach in today’s world is used to dealing with.
I have completely warmed up to Molly!!! I have no fear or trepidation when she enters the game now. Go Molly!!! :D

Sorry, I thought about it, and wish we had dedicated post-game threads to talk about stuff like this, but we don't,and I wouldn't want to see a dozen different threads about one game. It's why I liked the old game threads because you can keep everything about the game in one thread plus you could make corrections.

HuskyNan

Administrator
Sorry, I thought about it, and wish we had dedicated post-game threads to talk about stuff like this, but we don't,and I wouldn't want to see a dozen different threads about one game. It's why I liked the old game threads because you can keep everything about the game in one thread plus you could make corrections.
Feel free to start a post game thread, if you want. Discuss games all you want -just no in-game threads

Okie dokie. I was assuming that there would be a post game thread or 2 or 3...

No contest. The motor Pheesa took it hands down. She was everywhere. I actually think they took all those threes partly because of her. The other part is I think Geno asked Tonya to do it over dinner to expose the guards heading into the SC game....

No contest. The motor Pheesa took it hands down. She was everywhere. I actually think they took all those threes partly because of her. The other part is I think Geno asked Tonya to do it over dinner to expose the guards heading into the SC game....
D-pup, I'm going to say a little prayer for you tonight. :rolleyes:

Pheesa is great. I've posted regularly about it, and you will get no argument from me if you want to state that she is our best player. But I feel like UConn's resurgence has been due to Danger asserting herself and taking control of the team. She has played like what she is, the best point guard in the country and one of the very best point guards to ever wear a UConn uniform.

A slight correction. Tanya coached under Geno. She played at UVA.
Thanks, I knew that, slipped that cog in my mind. However, her REAL formative years, many, were with Geno.
Not much of an excuse, but I do at least remember the many years we were happy to have her on Geno's bench.

A defensive failure that will be noted by all opponents especially s. Carolina.
That is not a new phenom. Uconn, in my opinion, has opted (Louisville is an example) to allow the 3's knowing the percentages and trying to take away the more likely mid-range shots. All this is to keep the 5 on the floor by minimizing fouls. No facts, just observations of the last 7 games or so and my impressions--stated after those games-. Geno has limited REAL resources so, how does he manage them in big games.
If ONO, Irwin, Coombs, even Molly can give Geno 5 game time minutes he could take a bite out of the made 3's. Until then what are his options??

That is not a new phenom. Uconn, in my opinion, has opted (Louisville is an example) to allow the 3's knowing the percentages and trying to take away the more likely mid-range shots. All this is to keep the 5 on the floor by minimizing fouls. No facts, just observations of the last 7 games or so and my impressions--stated after those games-. Geno has limited REAL resources so, how does he manage them in big games.
If ONO, Irwin, Coombs, even Molly can give Geno 5 game time minutes he could take a bite out of the made 3's. Until then what are his options??
I’m not so sure. Obviously the goal is to not give up any layups but Temple hit some deep contested 3s yesterday & even banked one in. Sometimes a team is just hitting. Limiting teams to 1 shot will be more of a factor in March than anything else.