UConn vs Seton Hall - Game Analysis | The Boneyard

UConn vs Seton Hall - Game Analysis

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Main Points:

1. Lauren Park Lane will not go off for 29 points...comes back to earth with 15 points
2. Andra Espinoza-Hunter will score between 16 and 28 points
3. UConn's defense will give Seton Hall more problems in this second match-up
4. UConn will want to send a message to Espinoza-Hunter.
5. Paige's consecutive 30 point games will come to a close in this one...she will look to get others involved.
6. Aubrey Griffin will have a good game
7. Bounce back games for Christyn Williams and Evina Westbrook
8. Seton Hall 79.2 points per game / opponents - 66.5 points per game
9. UConn 85.5 points per game / opponents - 54.7 points per game
10. Seton Hall 37.2 Rebounds per game / opponents - 37 Rebounds per game
11. UConn 41 Rebounds per game / opponents - 31.6 Rebounds per game
12. Seton Hall 8.8 three pointers per game / UConn 7.5 three pointers per game
13. Seton Hall 10.3 steals per game / 23.6 points off turnovers
14. UConn 9.8 steals per game / 24.1 points off turnovers

Seton Hall Player Stats:

Andra Espinoza-Hunter
- 35.3 minutes / 5'11" / Graduate / Guard / 21.1 points / 4.9 Rebounds
Lauren Park-Lane - 33.3 minutes / 5'6" / Sophomore / Guard / 17.4 points / 2.0 Rebounds
Desiree Elmore - 29.0 minutes / 5/10" / Senior / Guard-Forward / 16.3 points / 7.5 Rebounds
Maya Jackson - 28.3 minutes / 5'7" / Sophomore / Guard / 11.5 points / 3.3 Rebounds
Maya Bremley - 22.4 minutes / 6'1" / Sophomore / Guard-Forward / 4.9 points / 4.8 Rebounds

Bench:

Jasmine Smith
- 18.0 minutes / 5'8" / Senior / Guard / 6.1 points / 3.4 Rebounds
Allexia Allesch - 25.5 minutes / 6'1" / Red Shirt Junior / Forward / 6.0 points / 6.4 Rebounds
Amari Wright - 13.3 minutes / 5'9" / Freshman / Guard / 3.9 points / 1.8 Rebounds

UConn Player Stats:

Paige Bueckers
- 36.4 minutes / 5'11" / Freshman / Guard / 21.1 points / 5.0 Rebounds
Christyn Williams - 33.9 minutes / 5'11" / Junior / Guard / 16.1 points / 4.4 Rebounds
Olivia Nelson-Ododa - 25.5 minutes / 6'5" Junior / Forward / 13.0 points / 7.1 Rebounds
Evina Westbrook - 30.5 minutes / 6'0" / Redshirt Junior / Guard / 10.5 points / 4.9 Rebounds
Nika Muhl - 23.0 minutes / 5'10" / Freshman / Guard / 4.5 points / 1.9 Rebounds

Bench:

Aaliyah Edwards
- 19.4 minutes / 6'3" / Freshman / Forward / 9.4 points / 4.4 Rebounds
Aubrey Griffin - 18.8 minutes / 6'1" / Sophomore / Forward / 8.2 points / 5.1 Rebounds
Mir McLean - 8.2 minutes / 5'11" / Freshman / Forward / 3.6 points / 2.0 Rebounds

Matchups:

Paige Bueckers
vs Andra Espinoza-Hunter: This is an interesting match-up..both are good shooters, both shoot the three, Paige is better off the dribble and off the screens. I think that Paige's defense is also better. Both average just about the same in points and rebounds. Paige distributes the ball better and gets her team mates involved at a better rate. ADVANTAGE UCONN

Christyn Williams vs Lauren Park-Lane: Last time these two teams met...Lauren went off for 29 points. I look for Christyn to take that personal and for her to play Lauren much tougher this time. In the event that UConn decides to play more zone than man to man...I look for UConn to close up much quicker in this match-up than they did in the first one. Either way the result will be the same...I do not expect to see a repeat of Lauren's 29 point game. If we do...then UConn is in trouble. I am giving a SLIGHT ADVANTAGE UCONN

Evina Westbrook vs Desiree Elmore: I am looking for a bounce back game from Evina...she should be well rested as she spent some time on the bench during the South Carolina game, and I don't think Evina spent that much energy last game. However, that being said...Desiree plays hard, she can score and can rebound the ball well. ADVANTAGE SETON HALL

Nika Muhl vs Maya Jackson: In this match-up we have to intense, energizer bunnies. It should be interesting and I do expect Nika to make life hard on Maya. While the match-up is intriguing and I would like to see Nika come out on top I am going to call this one EVEN

Olivia Nelson-Ododa vs Maya Bremley: I expect Olivia to own the paint in this one. She should be able to exploit her size advantage. ADVANTAGE UCONN

Bench:
ADVANTAGE UCONN
Seton Hall - 16 points / 12 Rebounds
UConn - 21 points / 11 Rebounds

Coaching: ADVANTAGE UCONN

Intangibles:
Home game for UConn - ADVANTAGE UCONN

Score:
UConn - 94 Seton Hall - 59

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is Andra going to be playing two games where she scores 16 and 28 points, or did you mean between 16 and 28 points?

Reaction Score
If Evina is at all hurt, either Aaliyah or Aubrey can guard her and will have the advantage, as will Evina if she's healthy.

Reaction Score
I am sure that the UCONN Husky Nation is going to have their collective eyes glued to SNY on Wednesday Night to see the "The Message Game" between UCONN and Seton Hall. I am sure that the most important message, that being the ultimate final score will be given on the side of UCONN. Whether AEH goes off for 25 + points against her former coach and gives Geno a little sarcastic wink at the end of the game or not remains to be see OR that Geno give one of his classic "waving his arm and hand in the air" to say goodbye to AEH, after UCONN holds her to Single Digit scoring also remains to be seen. Either way, it should be fun to watch. [Also Aubrey Griffin going up against 2 of her former High School Teammates in AEH and Harris will be fun to watch as well].

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Allesch, 6'1", did not play against Georgetown on Monday, which was SH`s first game since January 23. Also surprisingly close, Georgetown was actually ahead after three quarters. Final 60-52, SH scored 26 in the final quarter.

I don`t know why she missed the game. She played 33 minutes against us the first time. A pretty mediocre stat line, but she is one of only two rotation players that are 6' tall or more.

Either way, we have a huge height advantage. That seems to be the case against everyone in the Big East except Marquette. We should score 40+ points in the paint.

Reaction Score
Also interesting that SHU's game the other day was the first action that Lauren Park Lane has had on the court in a long time. RUST ???

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Here were the main points of my game analysis...let's see how I did...

1. Lauren Park Lane will not go off for 29 points...comes back to earth with 15 points
Park-Lane was held to 5 points - half right..she didn't score 29 points but, our great defense held her to only 5 points...boy it feels great to be half wrong on this one.

2. Andra Espinoza-Hunter will score between 16 and 28 points
Oops! I was off by one point...Again kudos to our defense holding Andra below her average to only 15 points.

3. UConn's defense will give Seton Hall more problems in this second match-up
Got this one right...even with the addition of Espinoza-Hunter our stellar defense held them to only 49 points, 16 points less than their first outing.

4. UConn will want to send a message to Espinoza-Hunter.
Message sent! Message received!

5. Paige's consecutive 30 point games will come to a close in this one...she will look to get others involved.
Unfortunately, I was right on this one but 23 ain't bad!!!

6. Aubrey Griffin will have a good game
6 points, 7 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block...I'll take it!!!

7. Bounce back games for Christyn Williams and Evina Westbrook
Again I was half right...good bounce back game for Evina; Christyn not so much...ugggh!

8. Seton Hall 79.2 points per game / opponents - 66.5 points per game
Seton Hall under performed...thanks to UConn's defense; UConn over-performed by Seton Hall's stats...probably due to fatigue and emotional let-down from the South Carolina game.

9. UConn 85.5 points per game / opponents - 54.7 points per game
UConn under-performed probably due to fatigue and emotional let-down from So. Carolina game; And, our stellar defense over-performed even with Espinoza-Hunter in the line-up.

10. Seton Hall 37.2 Rebounds per game / opponents - 37 Rebounds per game
Seton Hall under-performed 5 rebounds below their average (credit UConn hitting the boards)...and UConn over-performed 12 rebounds over what Seton Hall's opponents usually average...Olivia had a huge size advantage and she had mad help from Evina (8); Aubrey (7); Aaliyah (7).

11. UConn 41 Rebounds per game / opponents - 31.6 Rebounds per game
UConn over performed by 8 Rebounds because of great size advantage with Olivia, Aaliyah, Evina and Aubrey; Seton Hall with 32 rebounds was pretty close to what UConn's opponents usually get.

12. Seton Hall 8.8 three pointers per game / UConn 7.5 three pointers per game
Seton Hall only under-performed by 1 3 pointer; UConn, on the other hand did not connect well from three...Bueckers got 3 and Muhl got 1...we will need to start hitting 3s at a better clip as we get closer to March.

13. Seton Hall 10.3 steals per game / 23.6 points off turnovers
Seton Hall underperformed with only 4 steals...since UConn turned the ball over 18 times...then most of UConn's turnovers were unforced errors probably due to the emotional let-down from the So. Carolina game. Points off turnover was way down only 7...kudos to UConn's defense...again...it is pretty obvious that UConn's strength in this game was on the defensive end.

14. UConn 9.8 steals per game / 24.1 points off turnovers
UConn over-performed with 11 steals...they had 25 points off of turnovers...which was pretty much right at their average. They also had 16 assists on 31 field goals...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom