Uconn vs ND vs OH MD vs Baylor vs TX | The Boneyard

Uconn vs ND vs OH MD vs Baylor vs TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In a previous thread we were asked about having the energy to care about the score of a ND game that was ongoing at about the same time Uconn and MD were playing. After seeing the game with MD, I cannot help but wonder this: is MD the new ND in relation to Uconn? Of course not! But many here have been skeptical about th teams that MD played up to playing Uconn. Brenda has really put together an impressive group and any discussion/winning that Uconn get the best players (using the conventional markers) cannot be defended. That said, I'm very impressed with their freshmen: Charles, Fraser and Slocum. Here is what really interest me: Having gone back to watch the ND game for a 2nd time, I came away thinking they are no where near Uconn and MD. Of course, it was early and they (like us) will only get better, but something isn't quite the same at ND. Arike is a strong, fast and deadly shooter, but she dominates the offense and they have, seemingly, gone away from the passing game that made them quite similar to us. Are they at risk for becoming more like Duke while MD is fashioning US?
Happy New Year to all, and best wishes for a healthy season for the team (and other teams too, of course).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
With the small but clear degradation of ND's UConn like complete team passing motion offense, I think we are seeing an unavoidable trend towards teams playing more "super guard" offenses where these fast athletic guards dominate the flow of game and either take the bulk of shots or create off the dribble for others (i.e 1 man or 2 man offenses). It is unavoidable since less and less of the top HS players are taught the subtleties of these motion offenses and are more comfortable with the flashy drive / pass. It doesn't mean that these players are inherently selfish but simply were never shown how to do it the right way.

College coaches are therefore forced to take shortcuts (especially if they want the most talented athletic players) and allow these individualistic features into their offenses. It is obvious that such offensive schemes take alot less effort. It seems only Geno and his staff are willing to hold to the highest standards by breaking down the individuality of each players game and rebuilding as a team. (Crystal Dangerfield is going through this now) Of course, this starts with recruiting and trying to really understand if a talented player can accept this.

I really see no program on the horizon which is doing this. Now it may be possible that a team like Baylor can ultimately
win by brute force but the beauty of the game will be lost.

Sorry I am so melancholy on Jan 1, 2017:(:(:(:(:(:(. Maybe I can get some cheer back from the BY

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I was impressed with Charles and Fraser in the MD game, not so much with Slocum, for the same reason that I am not overly impressed with Harper, or Arike, or Epps. Lots of flash and scoring ability, but not conducive to a team offense especially from a PG.

On MD becoming the new ND - long way to go and I'll believe it when I see it. MM at ND created a really, really good team and then sustained that excellence through graduations for 7+ years. Without Uconn being in the way, they would have two - four NCs of their own during that stretch. MD caught magic in a bottle 11 years ago with a super frosh class and couldn't sustain it for even one more year, they made a somewhat surprising back to back FF run, and then couldn't make it a threepete. They have another super frosh class and maybe catch the magic again, but ... Meanwhile lets not bury ND just yet - they maybe are having a 'down' year, but MM is a very good coach with a good staff and three months to right this year's ship, and talent to work with for the next few years.

eebmg - nah. The arc of WCBB is toward better coaches and players so I am not melancholy - until some programs put together a streak of NCs playing me first basketball, I am betting on the continued dominance of teams and not individuals.

Reaction Score
In a previous thread we were asked about having the energy to care about the score of a ND game that was ongoing at about the same time Uconn and MD were playing. After seeing the game with MD, I cannot help but wonder this: is MD the new ND in relation to Uconn? Of course not! But many here have been skeptical about th teams that MD played up to playing Uconn. Brenda has really put together an impressive group and any discussion/winning that Uconn get the best players (using the conventional markers) cannot be defended. That said, I'm very impressed with their freshmen: Charles, Fraser and Slocum. Here is what really interest me: Having gone back to watch the ND game for a 2nd time, I came away thinking they are no where near Uconn and MD. Of course, it was early and they (like us) will only get better, but something isn't quite the same at ND. Arike is a strong, fast and deadly shooter, but she dominates the offense and they have, seemingly, gone away from the passing game that made them quite similar to us. Are they at risk for becoming more like Duke while MD is fashioning US?
Happy New Year to all, and best wishes for a healthy season for the team (and other teams too, of course).
Fraser is a sophomore

Reaction Score
Maryland's success will come down to how well they get along together as team mates and how consistent they can be with their offensive and defensive play over the course of a season. Their success, or lack thereof, will be on Brenda. In recent years, they always seem to trip and lose a game or two that they shouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom