UConn vs Merrimack (1/5/18) - 7pm | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Merrimack (1/5/18) - 7pm

Reaction Score
Zl I agree that the program was playing at a lower level but David Berard had them playing hard every night. I always thought he earned the head coach job but Warde in his typical fashion was more impressed with getting an assistant from a name school. Berard is doing reasonably well st HC I think.

Reaction Score
The program he inherited was deader than Bridgeport's economy. Stop. And don't try and sell me on Bridgeport, either- nope.
Uh, I wonder why we hired Cavanaugh. Why the #IceBus hype? You obviously bought into it. Duh.

We don't need you here. I used to live in Bristol. Hartford County sucks compared to here.

Thanks for your weird obsession in responding to me. Idaho doesn't count as a school that dropped it's football program. Because they didn't. :rolleyes:

ct06111 would know why I mentioned a game in Bridgeport. But you think you know everything. I apologize for typing words that offended your vision.

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Uh, I wonder why we hired Cavanaugh. Why the #IceBus hype? You obviously bought into it. Duh.

We don't need you here. I used to live in Bristol. Hartford County sucks compared to here.

Thanks for your weird obsession in responding to me. Idaho doesn't count as a school that dropped it's football program. Because they didn't. :rolleyes:

ct06111 would know why I mentioned a game in Bridgeport. But you think you know everything. I apologize for typing words that offended your vision.

[deleted because I was really ticked off and didn't wanna be a complete jerk today even if Butch absolutely deserves it]

Last edited:

zls44

Reaction Score
Zl I agree that the program was playing at a lower level but David Berard had them playing hard every night. I always thought he earned the head coach job but Warde in his typical fashion was more impressed with getting an assistant from a name school. Berard is doing reasonably well st HC I think.

Yeah, I don't know why we didn't give the major transition to a guy with no HC experience and no HE level experience and instead did something as dumb as go with the top assistant for the #1 program in the conference and the country for the last 20 years. Totally insane. Can't believe we would do such a thing.

BTW, the fact that they got Tage and the incoming class to come here is proof of why he was the right guy- Berard would not have done as good a job. But at least you and Butchy could talk about how much Jam and Sandpaper and Grit and Toughness they had!

zls44

Reaction Score
For the record...and note that HC has WAAAY better hockey facilities.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    84.4 KB · Views: 56
Reaction Score
For the record...and note that HC has WAAAY better hockey facilities.
ZL thanks for posting this. Hard to compare records when Cav is coaching in one of if not the best college hockey conferences in the country and Berard is in the AHA where all schools finally went to the 18 scholarship max a few seasons ago. It amazes me how there are people on this board that give Ollie a pass yet go after Cav constantly! Ollie has one of if not the BEST practice facilities in the country and a dynamic on-campus arena to play in yet he gets a complete pass for not winning. Cav has what amounts to the trailers Edsall used to have and has to play in a decrepit sub-par AHL facility 45 minutes form campus that finally got a decent ice surface. Give Cav a 4500 seat on-campus facility and then you can be as critical as you want if he cant get it done, until then cut him a bit of slack.

Reaction Score
Getting back to the actual game - Masonius was just standing there at the net with 90 seconds to go and Merrimack tying the game, with Masonius's man just whacking in the puck thrown in front.

I like how Masonius plays with a chip on his shoulder and I think he has some offensive skills but his defense is just awful. I haven't seen much improvement at all from year to year. I really wish they would have considered him at wing at some point, especially this year with a lot of older defenseman to rely on. It's not like you have a bunch of frosh back there where you might feel you need Masonius's experience, even if he is a big adventure defensively.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure we know the HE is the best conference in the country. Shouldn't that be more reason for the kids to be motivated to play hard? Cut Cavanugh slack for the kids lacking motivation. It's the school's fault. Excellent.

Cavanaugh is recruiting very well. Which is actually very impressive with our facilities and history. That goes without saying. How about playing hard? Is that too much to ask for? Really?

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure we know the HE is the best conference in the country. Shouldn't that be more reason for the kids to be motivated to play hard? Cut Cavanugh slack for the kids lacking motivation. It's the school's fault. Excellent.

Cavanaugh is recruiting very well. Which is actually very impressive with our facilities and history. That goes without saying. How about playing hard? Is that too much to ask for? Really?
Do you go on the basketball board and say the same stuff about Ollie...or did you say the same stuff about Pasqualoni and Diaco on the football board? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you here @Butch all I'm saying is there seems to be a extreme amount of coach criticism on this board from some that give complete passes to other Uconn head coaches.

Reaction Score
Do you go on the basketball board and say the same stuff about Ollie...or did you say the same stuff about Pasqualoni and Diaco on the football board? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you here @Butch all I'm saying is there seems to be a extreme amount of coach criticism on this board from some that give complete passes to other Uconn head coaches.
Of course, I've posted plenty of thoughts on Ollie and Diaco. I emailed the AD about Diaco and he actually responded.

To be clear on my part, this is all just entertainment. But if we're going to pay and put in time, at least put in 100% effort (or coach competently). Hockey is definitely my favorite sport and a sport multiple programs in Connecticut should develop the ability to win titles in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't know why we didn't give the major transition to a guy with no HC experience and no HE level experience and instead did something as dumb as go with the top assistant for the #1 program in the conference and the country for the last 20 years. Totally insane. Can't believe we would do such a thing.

BTW, the fact that they got Tage and the incoming class to come here is proof of why he was the right guy- Berard would not have done as good a job. But at least you and Butchy could talk about how much Jam and Sandpaper and Grit and Toughness they had!
Who knows? But lots of times guys are long time assistants for a reason. And Cav was interviewed for at least a couple of other jobs including UMass which practically had to beg someone to take the job. He didn’t get hired until UConn. Hey I admit I’m skeptical of any Warde hire. We will see what happens going forward. Unfortunately you can’t just get Tage. You need to get a Tage every couple of years and surround him with other good players. We seem to be getting the second level guys but our recruiting of the top guys is limited to Tage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom