UConn vs. Memphis @ J.O.C. (Fri. 4/1/19 @ 3p, Sat 4/13 @ 1p & Sun. 4/14 @ *11:00am*) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Memphis @ J.O.C. (Fri. 4/1/19 @ 3p, Sat 4/13 @ 1p & Sun. 4/14 @ *11:00am*)

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If I were putting together the lineups- I would move Nucerino to Center- Kyler to right, Woody to second base and make Christian the full time DH. Then, I would rotate Gozzo and Winkel behind the plate. I like C Mo at third but during the week give Philllips another shot there - or even first base. C Winkel has had a rough year at the plate and we need production from 1st base. I would use Chiovitti as a defensive replacement in late innings.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I know everyone likes slotting Woody at second base, including our coaching staff, but that dude is a vacuum cleaner out there. I myself am in no hurry to move him.

Reaction Score
If I were putting together the lineups- I would move Nucerino to Center- Kyler to right, Woody to second base and make Christian the full time Dan Hurley. Then, I would rotate Gozzo and Winkel behind the plate. I like C Mo at third but during the week give Philllips another shot there - or even first base. C Winkel has had a rough year at the plate and we need production from 1st base. I would use Chiovitti as a defensive replacement in late innings.

I know everyone likes slotting Woody at second base, including our coaching staff, but that dude is a vacuum cleaner out there. I myself am in no hurry to move him.

I concur with @uconnbaseball, as good as Woodworth was at 2B last season, he is even better in center field. If you buy into that opinion, then the result of the above moves would be to have a weaker defensive player at every position a move is made with the exception of 2B. In my mind, at the same time, the offensive improvement to the lineup as a result of these moves would be minimal. It is not the direction I would go.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I concur with @uconnbaseball, as good as Woodworth was at 2B last season, he is even better in center field. If you buy into that opinion, then the result of the above moves would be to have a weaker defensive player at every position a move is made with the exception of 2B. In my mind, at the same time, the offensive improvement to the lineup as a result of these moves would be minimal. It is not the direction I would go.
The reason I like my lineup is when you have a ground ball pitcher like Kersten on the mound, infield defense is paramount. Look what happened Saturday: C Mo doesn't make a play, Fedko makes the wrong decision on a fielders choice and 3 runs later we are out of the game. Had Woody been at second- that would have been a 1 run inning as the last RBI came in with 2 outs and the second run would have been erased on the fielders choice to first. Woody is a great CF, but Nuce isn't bad and Chiovitti is a defensive replacement anyway.

Reaction Score
The reason I like my lineup is when you have a ground ball pitcher like Kersten on the mound, infield defense is paramount. Look what happened Saturday: C Mo doesn't make a play, Fedko makes the wrong decision on a fielders choice and 3 runs later we are out of the game. Had Woody been at second- that would have been a 1 run inning as the last RBI came in with 2 outs and the second run would have been erased on the fielders choice to first. Woody is a great CF, but Nuce isn't bad and Chiovitti is a defensive replacement anyway.

Still don't buy into it, but at least I can understand your reasoning.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom