UConn vs CT Basketball Teams: The Ongoing Battle | The Boneyard

UConn vs CT Basketball Teams: The Ongoing Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There is no doubt there is a constant battle between UConn and other college basketball teams in the state. All going after the same thing: being noticed, being the best, and most importantly being successful. Don't believe me? Check this out.

caw

Reaction Score
There is no doubt there is a constant battle between UConn and other college basketball teams in the state. All going after the same thing: being noticed, being the best, and most importantly being successful. Don't believe me? Check this out.

The premise is wrong. There is a constant battle among other CT college basketball teams to be the least in UConn's shadow. I'll wait for one of those teams to make consistent NCAAT's at the least before we even begin the discussion of them competing with UConn in anything.

Now if you want to plug your website, that's great, but seriously, at least post stuff that somewhat makes sense.

Reaction Score
The premise is wrong. There is a constant battle among other CT college basketball teams to be the least in UConn's shadow. I'll wait for one of those teams to make consistent NCAAT's at the least before we even begin the discussion of them competing with UConn in anything.

Now if you want to plug your website, that's great, but seriously, at least post stuff that somewhat makes sense.

I completely understand what your saying, but don't you think this year more than any its a little more even. UConn is ineligible for the NCAAs or Big East Tourn. and Quinnipiac just played them close at the Paradise Jam. UConn, this year at least, is not that much better than the other teams in the state I think.
In past years they obviously were head and shoulders above everyone, but I am not so sure that gap is still there.

Reaction Score
UConn's "battle" with the other programs in CT is like my "battle" with mosquitoes in the summer.

caw

Reaction Score
I completely understand what your saying, but don't you think this year more than any its a little more even. UConn is ineligible for the NCAAs or Big East Tourn. and Quinnipiac just played them close at the Paradise Jam. UConn, this year at least, is not that much better than the other teams in the state I think.
In past years they obviously were head and shoulders above everyone, but I am not so sure that gap is still there.

Yes, this year it is closer, but it is not a "constant" battle. Heck this year, UConn is still likely the best team in the state with 10 scholarships and no NCAAT or BET.

Even though UConn is ineligible this year, there is a very good chance UConn will the next CT college team to win a game in the NCAAT, get ranked higher than a double digit seed, get ranked in a regular season poll, let alone get to a final four or win another NCAAT Championship. For that matter, UConn is still the best bet to have a player drafted into the NBA.

This is likely a one year blip unless UConn really drops the ball. Even if UConn gets stuck in the NBE, they will be in the best basketball conference of any CT college.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maybe you'd have something if that Battle for CT wasn't such a massive fail.

Reaction Score

So what you're saying is that this year's Uconn team, for a variety of reasons that we are all pretty well-aware of, is not as talented as they normally would be. How enlightening.

Reaction Score
So what you're saying is that this year's Uconn team, for a variety of reasons that we are all pretty well-aware of, is not as talented as they normally would be. How enlightening.

Not at all. You don't think that the other teams in the state haven't been catching up to UConn every year? Maybe they aren't catching up by a lot, but the gap is definitely getting at least a little smaller and not any bigger.
And you guys all think this is a one year thing with UConn being challenged by other teams in the state? So next year UConn will be back to a top 10 or 20 team in the country and be significantly better than the other teams in the state?
I got news for you, I believe it will take UConn at least 3-5 years to get back to where their were the past couple season if they ever get back to winning championships!! I want to see UConn win as much as the next person in this state, but lets not forget Calhoun is not coming back and it won't be easy for whoever is coaching there with these extremely high expectations that just are not realistic.

Reaction Score
You don't think that the other teams in the state haven't been catching up to UConn every year?

In what respect? Given that the 2011 team won the National Championship, I'd say the gap between Uconn and the other state schools was bigger in 2011 than any other year in history- other than 1999 and 2004 of course.

And while last year's team had serious chemistry and maturity issues, that team had more pure talent than the 2011 team.

caw

Reaction Score
Not at all. You don't think that the other teams in the state haven't been catching up to UConn every year? Maybe they aren't catching up by a lot, but the gap is definitely getting at least a little smaller and not any bigger.
And you guys all think this is a one year thing with UConn being challenged by other teams in the state? So next year UConn will be back to a top 10 or 20 team in the country and be significantly better than the other teams in the state?
I got news for you, I believe it will take UConn at least 3-5 years to get back to where their were the past couple season if they ever get back to winning championships!! I want to see UConn win as much as the next person in this state, but lets not forget Calhoun is not coming back and it won't be easy for whoever is coaching there with these extremely high expectations that just are not realistic.

It can't get any bigger. Seriously, unless UConn reels off 10 straight like UCLA, it can't. Sure it's gotten .0000000000000000000000000001% closer, but the gap is insanely large.

UConn doesn't need to be top 10 or top 20 to not be challenged by the other state institutions. In an absolutely crappy year by UConn standards, last year UConn was a 9 seed or about 36th in the nation. UConn was ranked and is considered somewhere between 30-25th this year.

3-5 years to get a 9 seed, I think not.

In a single game can a CT team beat UConn, sure, its possible. That is the only aspect of this getting closer that I see.

When was the last CT in the NCAAT? I see UConn with 1 NC and 1 more final four since the last CT team was in the NCAAT.

Fairfield in 1997
Quinnipiac never
Central 2007 (hey in the past five years)
UHart ???
Yale - 1962
Sacred Heart ???

When did the last CT win a game in the NCAAT? (I refuse to count pre-1970 in the conversation) LOL

Fairfield in 3x's since 1970 didn't win in any of those 3 trips
Quinnipiac never
Central 3x's never won
UHart ???
Yale - pre-1970 if ever
Sacred Heart ???

When was the last CT team higher than a 10 seed in the NCAAT? (I refuse to count pre-1970 in the conversation) LOL

Fairfield in 16, 16, 13
Quinnipiac never
Central 16, 15, 14
UHart ???
Yale - pre-1970 if ever
Sacred Heart ???

This year:
Fairfield in 3-4
Quinnipiac 2-4
Central 3-3
UHart 2-3
Yale 2-5
Sacred Heart 2-3
UCONN 5-1

Reaction Score
If these teams wish to get UConn type exposure they should market themselves better. Do any of the D-1 teams, not named UConn, draw more than 3,000 per game? The answert is no. That's these individual universities fault. Heck, at Mohegan Sun the super 6 didn't draw flies. It was moved to UHar. I doubt these 6 teams sold out UHar's gym.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom