UConn vs Alabama-Huntsville, 10/7-10/8 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Alabama-Huntsville, 10/7-10/8

Reaction Score
The season kicks off with a two game series versus Alabama-Huntsville on Friday and Saturday.

UAH opened their regular season Saturday and Sunday and surprisingly swept 20th ranked Ferris State on the road.

UConn and UAH split last season's series.

Reaction Score
No excuses...
Red Sox @ Cleveland game 2 is @ 4:30 on Friday October 7th.

Get out of work, watch the baseball game @ a bar in downtown Hartford and then head over to XL

I'm sure they'll have the game on at the fan bar or elsewhere in the arena if it's still goin on after the 7:05 puck drop

Reaction Score
Goals by newpower(I'm right this time) and Thompson to make it 2-0

Reaction Score
Go UConn hockey...frozen 4, please...(I need a team to replace football this year)

Reaction Score
UConn Men's Hockey@UConnMHOC 24 mins ago
UCONN WINS! A dominating performance for the Huskies in their 1st game of the season! Series finale tomorrow at 4:05pm at XL Center. #IceBus
04.jpg

Daily Campus Sports@dcsportsdept 18 mins ago
Three stars for the @UConnMHOC game tonight: 1. Tage Thompson (2 G, 2 A) 2. Rob Nichols (21 saves, shutout) 3. Evan Richardson (2 G)

Reaction Score
I was at Northeastern @ QU. Northeastern is actually a decent team. QU is not a #2 team. QU is very beatable this year, offense is lacking, big time.

Both of QU's goals tonight were fluke-ish.

Reaction Score
New players that made an impact tonight?

Holes to fill due to graduation or turning pro?

Reaction Score
UConn Men's Hockey@UConnMHOC 24 mins ago
UCONN WINS! A dominating performance for the Huskies in their 1st game of the season! Series finale tomorrow at 4:05pm at XL Center. #IceBus
View attachment 16055

Daily Campus Sports@dcsportsdept 18 mins ago
Three stars for the @UConnMHOC game tonight: 1. Tage Thompson (2 G, 2 A) 2. Rob Nichols (21 saves, shutout) 3. Evan Richardson (2 G)

Game 1 recap: Huskies Roll Past Alabama Huntsville, 6-0, in Season Opener

>>The Huskies and Chargers are back at it Saturday afternoon, closing out the weekend set with a 4:05 start. Following this weekend’s opening series, UConn will hit the road for three-straight and eight of the next nine.<<

jho

Reaction Score
It's just one game but the Huskies looked very good last night. They looked faster than Alabama-Huntsville right from the opening faceoff and didn't let up the entire game. Two freshman were in the starting lineup - Alexander Payusov, who played on the Thompson/Letunov line, and Wyatt Newpower, who was paired with Derek Pratt on Defense. Newpower scored the game's first goal a little more than 3 minutes into the game.

Reaction Score
New players that made an impact tonight?

Holes to fill due to graduation or turning pro?
Freshmen Payusov and Newpower are going to be really good as they get older. I'm surprised how talented Newpower is and that no other team grabbed him considering hockey kids commit so early. Great find by the coaches.

Biggest hole to fill will be the one left by Shawn Pauly.

I do not know why Masonius did not play last night. No one asked Cavanaugh.

Found it interesting Huska was the only goalie who did not dress last night.

Reaction Score
Amazing weekend but it would be nice if the UConn Hockey Facebook page was accordingly updated, and this team gets no love from the main page at all. Hockey is treated like a 2nd rate citizen once again on UConn social media although the twitter page does a good job.

Reaction Score
Last year, they might not have came out with the same energy from the night before. Today, they had the same energy and compete level. It was good to see.

I do not know how UAH swept #20 Ferris State on the road last weekend. The looked completely overmatched against UConn. Speed, size, and talent were all heavily on UConn's side.

Worst part of the weekend was the crowd. No way 3000 people were at the games. Terrible showing. The student section was non-existent. Most likely will be the same against AIC.

Reaction Score
Probably 4,000+ for the AIC game then after that it'll pick up since we don't play again til 18th of November. People stay home when baseball is still being played for some reason but it was thinner then usual I'll admit. Not to make excuses though but UAH is probably the worst opponent optics wise you could come up with. At least last year Arizona State has some name recognition to sports fans.

As for the performance this was the most impressive 2 games I've seen from this team and it was an amazing showing. A couple penalties on us were bullshitski today but we competed and won most 1v1 battles and were very evasive behind the net in both games. Defense did a good job of funneling to the outside, and giving up maybe one chance then cleanly exiting zone without any panicking. Not much to say about Nichols he was just a beast. Newpower was great (shielded the puck well), Pratt was very responsible, we took the body when we needed too and backed off at the appropriate times. D overall did a good job of getting the puck through and also holding the blueline. Honestly loved what I saw.

Naas will emerge as our 3rd scoring threat and Payusov seemed to have good chemistry with Tage and Letunov. Brian Morgan definitely appeared to be a grizzled vet of Hockey East, Ronan is still a spark plug and Ojantakanen did alright. Evan Richardson finally contributed at the level we expected coming in when he transferred.

I think the only one that didn't have a good weekend was Schwartz, which could explain why he sat out the 2nd game.

Reaction Score
It was a good showing this weekend but I don't want to make any assumptions coming off this weekend after playing a lesser opponent. I did like Newpower though. He's going to be impressive as he grows as a player.

The opponent level goes up a tick next weekend. I'm looking forward to the Quinnipiac game in 11 days. I want to see how UConn matches up, especially lines 2-4.

I'd be really surprised if they have 4000+ for AIC. I'd say 3000.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom