UConn violations under Kevin Ollie reflected in program’s record book (CT Post) | The Boneyard

UConn violations under Kevin Ollie reflected in program’s record book (CT Post)

Reaction Score
*UConn violations under Kevin Ollie reflected in program’s record book (Borges @ CT Post)*

>>...since UConn was effectively playing with three ineligible players in 2016-17, and two (Adams and Larrier) for nearly all of 2017-18, records from those games have been vacated in the eyes of the NCAA.

That means that UConn was officially 0-0 in 2016-17 and 0-1 in 2017-18. The only game that counted in the latter season was the Huskies’ AAC tournament, season-ending loss to SMU. Why? Because Adams and Larrier made restitution to the NCAA in the minutes before the game started.<<

Reaction Score
gtcam will come on here and argue that Ollie should still be Head Coach.

He most definitely shouldn't be HC. But this argument of "meaningless" or not is merely subject to the NCAA and their definition. It's awful to have made these errors in judgement for sure but let's compare them to Sean Miller, Chuck Person/BBQ's, Bill Self, LSU Wade, UNC not going to class, LVille and so many other things that are not even being discussed despite what would seem to be major violations. So reality is he did nothing in compared to others who aren't even being dismissed for doing what they did. Hence "meaningless" kind of in the big picture, they are a joke compared to thousands of dollars being handed to kids right?

Not trying to support KO's ineptness but please, it's not even close to what's happening out there and the NCAA knows it.

C

Chief00

He most definitely shouldn't be HC. But this argument of "meaningless" or not is merely subject to the NCAA and their definition. It's awful to have made these errors in judgement for sure but let's compare them to Sean Miller, Chuck Person/BBQ's, Bill Self, LSU Wade, UNC not going to class, LVille and so many other things that are not even being discussed despite what would seem to be major violations. So reality is he did nothing in compared to others who aren't even being dismissed for doing what they did. Hence "meaningless" kind of in the big picture, they are a joke compared to thousands of dollars being handed to kids right?

Not trying to support KO's ineptness but please, it's not even close to what's happening out there and the NCAA knows it.
I agree the NCAA knows it, but look at what they are doing about it?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

C'mon Mau. Some people commit murders. Does that make those who commit armed robbery innocent?

You're not the only one to make that argument but it is fallacious.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Of course it's nothing compared to other schools but as we all know we're treated nothing like other schools.

Reaction Score

The important thing is that Ollie is gone, UConn probably won't have to pay him anything, and the future looks much brighter than it did in early 2018.

Reaction Score
The important thing is that Ollie is gone, UConn probably won't have to pay him anything, and the future looks much brighter than it did in early 2018.

Bingo let's not worry about guys working out with a trainer 2-3 years ago could care less. Instead let's get ourselves a damn big man to add to the roster and back up Josh next year.

CL82

Reaction Score
This is closer to murder vs a speeding ticket though. But who cares it's damn history anyway it's Hurley time!
It's really not though. We lost two seasons (although if we had to, those are the two I'd pick) and KO got a three year show cause. Imagine if he had done this crap in 2014.

Agree though, that I care much more more about what Hurley's building than how Ollie trashed what Calhoun built.

Reaction Score
It's really not though. We lost two seasons (although if we had to, those are the two I'd pick) and KO got a three year show cause. Imagine if he had done this crap in 2014.

Agree though, that I care much more more about what Hurley's building than how Ollie trashed what Calhoun built.

My opinion will always be, based on what they are turning their heads to especially, is there shouldn't have been anything more than a slap on the wrist anyway. 2 whole seasons for phone calls from Ray Allen and a few workouts with a trainer vs building bank accounts, houses for kids parents and new cars, which nothing is being done. They have Self being part of the phone calls and Miller too, what is happening there? C'mon KO sucked and got caught, but the only reason we are mad at him is because he did't win and he dropped the ball. Otherwise we'd say "eh!"

Ok now I'm really done LOL - where's my big man let's GO!

CL82

Reaction Score
My opinion will always be, based on what they are turning their heads to especially, is there shouldn't have been anything more than a slap on the wrist anyway. 2 whole seasons for phone calls from Ray Allen and a few workouts with a trainer vs building bank accounts, houses for kids parents and new cars, which nothing is being done. They have Self being part of the phone calls and Miller too, what is happening there? C'mon KO sucked and got caught, but the only reason we are mad at him is because he did't win and he dropped the ball. Otherwise we'd say "eh!"

Ok now I'm really done LOL - where's my big man let's GO!
Sort of. KO gave impermissible travel, impermissible lodging and impermissible meals for kids to attend an impermissible training session with an impermissible coach. That's five separate serious violations that did not involve Ray Allen or shooting free throws with a recruit. He lied about them about multiple occasions to both the school and the NCAA. That's not a single slight violation that's a pretty significant pattern of rule breaking. So significant that the school had two full seasons vacated and KO got a three year show cause penalty. By any stretch of the imagination that is incredibly serious, especially at UConn which had been sanctioned previously. We shrug about the penalties because KO was a bad coach at the end of his tenure and because the seasons vacated were losing seasons, but that really doesn't mitigate how serious they were.

But I'm with you Mau, I'm much more interested in where we are headed that reliving KO's last few years.

(FWIW, both Louisville and Kansas ought to be getting the death penalty giving the lack of institutional control they've shown. Will they? I wish I could say I was confident that they will.)

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

And Miami. What happened there made Ville look like a bunch of amateurs. Also Cuse. The NCAA based their decision against Cuse from the time the judgement ended going back only ten years. But they had information at the start of the investigation that Carmelo was ineligible. We should be talking 4>0. UNC should have two of it’s titles vacated. What you wrote makes me far angrier about things than KO transgressions and like you I’m not excusing them.

Reaction Score
Anybody gonna still argue they were meaningless violations?
Everyone on this board would be arguing that they were meaningless ... if only KO had been winning. Oh, and there would be much frothing and wailing and gnashing of teeth about UNC as well. Not to mention loud proclamations that the NCAA is a corrupt hypocritical organization.

Funny how a little thing like $10 million can completely change one's moral perspective.

Reaction Score
Everyone on this board would be arguing that they were meaningless ... if only KO had been winning. Oh, and there would be much frothing and wailing and gnashing of teeth about UNC as well. Not to mention loud proclamations that the NCAA is a corrupt hypocritical organization.

Funny how a little thing like $10 million can completely change one's moral perspective.

They were "meaningless" and "trivial" compared to the level of fraud at UNC which should have rendered probably all of their teams ineligible for 18 years. Then there's the payoffs benefiting a number of other stellar programs like Kansas, Auburn, Arizona, LSU, and god knows how many more that were way beyond what three kids at UConn received as impermissible benefits.

Then there's the APR. I've stated before the research I did which showed Arkansas, Syracuse, Indiana and other majors were deficient the years before the NCAA chose to enforce the rule. We were the only major program affected by the rule in 2013 and it was their chance to nail us despite the fact that had the current year been included we would have met the standard. Their BS excuse was that other schools, those not on the semester system, had yet to report their data. So, what would their reporting have meant to our APR score? Nothing, but it allowed them to put us on probation.

We have every right to complain about how we're treated compared to others and I won't stop, especially when I interact with UNC fans here in the South.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Of course they are not as egregious as most. Everybody should admit that. But can you imagine if we'd been a FF team and had that vacated? This place would have broken. Full stop.

I don't put much stock in the NCAAs judgement, but in the results of that judgement, you have to.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Nothing to do with 10mil for me. Couldn't care less about somebody else's money. Just cared about wins.

And having two seasons vacated.....sheesh. If we had won, and had these seasons vacated, the board would have broken.

Reaction Score
Nothing to do with 10mil for me. Couldn't care less about somebody else's money. Just cared about wins.

And having two seasons vacated.....sheesh. If we had won, and had these seasons vacated, the board would have broken.

The seasons shouldn't be vacated for those violations in comparison to what's happening it's that simple. It's treatment of UConn vs KU, Duke, UK, LVille, Zona, LSU and all the others. Its ridiculous and it has Emmerett prints all over it. If JC did it people would be po'd at the NCAA, KO did it they're po'd at KO they don't like him. Nor should they.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom