UConn v. URI on September 15th @ Noon on SNY/ESPN3 | The Boneyard

UConn v. URI on September 15th @ Noon on SNY/ESPN3

Reaction Score
Can UConn get the ticket prices down to $10 or less for the URI game. It's all very nice the sports networks are covering the game, but the Rent should be packed with CT and RI fans for this rivalry. There is a long history of these two colleges playing football. Moreover, if UConn wants to make it to a P5 conference, Rhode Island fans are going to be part of the mix.

Reaction Score
Can UConn get the ticket prices down to $10 or less for the URI game. It's all very nice the sports networks are covering the game, but the Rent should be packed with CT and RI fans for this rivalry. There is a long history of these two colleges playing football. Moreover, if UConn wants to make it to a P5 conference, Rhode Island fans are going to be part of the mix.

Is price really an obstacle to attendance at a game like this? I'm curious how much of an effect that a deep price cut on tickets would actually have on real attendance in the stadium. It seems like the biggest expense fans are weighing is their personal time, and what the ROI is for committing it. At this point gimmicks aren't bringing fans back. Only winning and doing so in an entertaining fashion will turn things around in the stands IMO.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Rhode Island fans? Help us what? Get the old gang back together and fade into oblivion? YanCon scheduling is nauseating. We may lose 1 or both of these games but we do not need them or their fans. We need to win, win now, and exit the AAC to P5.

Reaction Score
Maybe you guys should check a map and traffic flow. UConn's campus and the Rent are a lot closer to Providence and Worcester than to Stamford or New York City. It's not that UConn cannot draw fans from the metro NYC region but I would be careful about dismissing the other tri-state region: CT, RI and Mass. I would also not dismiss the importance of the price elasticity of demand -- or put more simply the price of tickets impacts how many people will buy them. I am just as happy with fans who are of modest means as those who drive up in BMWs. I want to fill the Rent for every game and add about 20,000 more seats. A large crowd is something the ACC would notice. And from the point of view of history, I believe there was a famous theft of the URI mascot, a ram, by UConn fans many years ago. The rivalry was real. Until we play in the B10 or ACC there is nothing wrong with playing some New England schools each year. Maybe we can even beat them. Let's keep ticket prices for the URI game low!

Reaction Score
Here is some trivia on UConn/URI rivalry.

Editor’s note: In 1961, the URI-UConn matchup was URI’s homecoming game; UConn prevailed. The Rams-Huskies rivalry dates back to the 1890s, and the ramnapping tradition, which grew out of that rivalry, began in the 1930s. A ramnapping trophy was awarded to the winner of each year’s URI-UConn football game. The trophy is now housed at the J. Robert Donnelly Husky Heritage Sports Museum on the UConn campus in Storrs.

Ramnapped!

huskiepride

New Kid On the block
Reaction Score
it would be cool if We brought the old rivalry trophy out from the J. Robert Donnelly Husky Heritage Sports Museum (i think that is where they keep it.) and revive the rivalry.

i also hope they "by coincidence" have Hurley come to the game

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If there is one thing UConn football is good for it’s rivalry trophies.

Reaction Score
If there is one thing UConn football is good for it’s rivalry trophies.
Hey Whaler: The URI UConn trophy was a real one, not Diaco's last-ditch effort to save his job. But I do like the reference to Diaco. Even if UConn makes it to P5 the rivalry trophy with URI is part of its football heritage.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hey Whaler: The URI UConn trophy was a real one, not Diaco's last-ditch effort to save his job. But I do like the reference to Diaco. Even if UConn makes it to P5 the rivalry trophy with URI is part of its football heritage.

Ok Butch. Maybe we can dig up Walter Camp and flip the coin with his remains.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't remember the Civil ConFliCT being a "last-ditch effort." He commissioned it before the 2015 season when UConn won 6 games and went to a Bowl. The wheels really didn't start to wobble until Navy '16.

huskiepride

New Kid On the block
Reaction Score
I don't remember the Civil ConFliCT being a "last-ditch effort." He commissioned it before the 2015 season when UConn won 6 games and went to a Bowl. The wheels really didn't start to wobble until Navy '16.
yeah...that last play was a mess lol

Reaction Score
Interesting to imagine what may have been if Diaco hadn't botched that play. Theoretically would've been 3-0 (assuming we beat UVa Week 3).

Reaction Score
Ok Butch. Maybe we can dig up Walter Camp and flip the coin with his remains.
Who said anything about reviving this trophy?

Have you seen a proctologist recently? Whether it is something going up or spewing out, I don't know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom