UConn v. Providence > Hockey East Quarterfinals (Sunday 3/14/21 @ 3:30 @ Freitas Ice Forum on SNYtv) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn v. Providence > Hockey East Quarterfinals (Sunday 3/14/21 @ 3:30 @ Freitas Ice Forum on SNYtv)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Honestly this is a brutal loss. But to say we have not
Made strides is a little disingenuous. Cav should answer for 0 for in playoffs. That said I like where we are headed. It’s always tough when you need to wait 7 months for
Next game.
Disingenuous? Really? Look, after 7 years, I would expect at least one trip to Boston for the HE semi finals. It's not asking too much. When UConn gets serious about being a winner in HE, criticize me. Right now, Benedict and Canvanaugh are going through the motions. Get it done or get out!

Reaction Score
Disingenuous? Really? Look, after 7 years, I would expect at least one trip to Boston for the HE semi finals. It's not asking too much. When UConn gets serious about being a winner in HE, criticize me. Right now, Benedict and Canvanaugh are going through the motions. Get it done or get out!

UConn is serious about being a winner, so you deserve the criticism now that you seek. Stop with the overreactions.

I'm pissed we haven't gotten over the hump but we are still trending in the right direction. Three of the last four years we've finished in the top 5, with this year being our best finish. We are in a damn good conference where the same 3-4 teams always have a stranglehold at the top. We are almost there.

Last year, we had a good shot at getting to TD Garden before Covid happened. Maine had a very good goalie but their roster was nothing to write home about and we were already the one team to beat them up there.

He's recruiting kids to come practice at crappy facilities while BC, Providence, BU, Northeastern all have the upper hand when it comes to recruits. He said several times they couldn't even get CT native Spencer Knight to visit. He needs a brand new facility and thankfully he'll get one soon - even if it doesn't have everything the fans may want - it will have the stuff the players and coaches really want.

Losing sucks, but take a breath and think positively about the direction the program is going. No one needs a George Steinbrenner running this athletic department. Like every coach, there may be a time and place for a firing but it sure as hell isn't now.

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I still think Cav is the guy. I'm glad he's being extended. But the record is what it is.

Do you need a nice on campus rink to not get outshot 19-9 in the first period of the biggest home game in program history?

Reaction Score
Honestly I worried about this game. I thought our guys didn’t quite get the level of intensity needed in a playoff at this level. Once they figured it out it was too late and they had to take too many chances to try to get back into the game. As far as Cav goes I have never been all in on him. He is making progress and we now have a full roster of actual hockey East talent. But you need to put it all together at some point.

one final point. Providence is a dirty team in my opinion. Last game they got called but this time the refs let them get away with a lot of cheap stuff. Wouldn’t have happened against BC OR BU.

Reaction Score
Honestly I worried about this game. I thought our guys didn’t quite get the level of intensity needed in a playoff at this level. Once they figured it out it was too late and they had to take too many chances to try to get back into the game. As far as Cav goes I have never been all in on him. He is making progress and we now have a full roster of actual hockey East talent. But you need to put it all together at some point.

one final point. Providence is a dirty team in my opinion. Last game they got called but this time the refs let them get away with a lot of cheap stuff. Wouldn’t have happened against BC OR BU.
I could see that.
Funny how Howarth gets taken down in front of their net - no call - while probably breaking his ankle or leg.
Were they the ones who concussed one of our players at their place?
We needed a Capone out there to take care of business.

Reaction Score
I still think Cav is the guy. I'm glad he's being extended. But the record is what it is.

Do you need a nice on campus rink to not get outshot 19-9 in the first period of the biggest home game in program history?
I hear you, and this is what always baffles me with coaches and teams and how much blame do you place on the coach compared to the team.

There is no doubt that Cavanaugh was preparing them to be ready for the first period being a continuation of period 3 from the prior game when they kicked our ass.

And yet we still came out and got flattened. So who is that on? I tend to go players unless I think the coach is completely incompetent - which Cavanaugh is not.

However I also like my coaches to have a little bit of crazy in them where the kids dont have this big comfort zone when they have a performance like that. Cav seems INCREDIBLY nice. I want him to throw stuff at the right time...In the locker room, hell even throw an expletive laden tirade on the refs when we are down 3 and they are waving off a goal because the refs completely effed it up. slam a stick on the ice, throw a water bottle, whatever.
I think before every UConn coach is hired they need to sit thru a 5 minute video of Calhoun and his tirades just so they can find a middle ground at least on working the refs. Give me current Cav with about 25% Calhoun or Mike Keenan.

In the end though as I said before, he absolutely warrants an extension. And then you reevaluate in another 2 or 3 years.

Reaction Score
However I also like my coaches to have a little bit of crazy in them where the kids dont have this big comfort zone when they have a performance like that. Cav seems INCREDIBLY nice. I want him to throw stuff at the right time...In the locker room, hell even throw an expletive laden tirade on the refs when we are down 3 and they are waving off a goal because the refs completely effed it up. slam a stick on the ice, throw a water bottle, whatever.

Reaction Score
That's classic. Next time the refs won't get the call wrong. He's really doing the game a solid by keeping the officiating on their toes.

Reaction Score
Not to be too apologetic for Cav but keep in mind that he didn’t have a full set ofscholarship s until his 3rd or 4th year. This year it finally seems like we have a full roster of guys who are Hockey East level guys.

Reaction Score
Joe Marrone used to break clipboards and blackboards. Later he admitted that the clipboards were specially made to break easily but just the same ut was effective

Reaction Score

No, but I bet a full house of Huskie fans would have helped UConn's cause. The empty building was a huge advantage to the visiting team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom