UCONN v. LOUISVILLE - 1st Half Analysis | The Boneyard

UCONN v. LOUISVILLE - 1st Half Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I figured this would be a good game to rematch to get an idea of the talent on the roster. Coming off a horrible loss, facing a very good team on a Friday Night on national tv. I spent about 4 hours this morning watching the first half (for some reason, my tv stopped recording 2 minutes into the second half), watching each play several times to get an idea of who is playing well (and there are players that are playing well) and those that aren't. Anyway, here is what I came up with:

Offense:

Scheme: Here is what I saw. Our tight ends cannot block one on one on the line. At all. They had mixed results on down blocks and making blocks after going in motion. Tackles can’t sustain blocks on outside runs. But we saw success on inside runs. Run up the middle and have tight ends down block or go in motion to down block.

Quarterback:
Tim Boyle:
Boyle had an extremely poor game. It is easy to blame everything on the O Line, but that excuse could not be used in the first half. There certainly was pressure on certain plays, but he had adequate time to pass on others, and plenty of time on many. He showed an inability to complete a downfield pass, with all of his completions coming on short passes. He consistently threw wide of his receivers, and only hit a receiver in stride once, Geremy Davis on his quick screen. Lemelle was wide open on a play, and Boyle threw behind him (I still think Lemelle should have caught it). When there is a pocket he needs to step into it. On his one deep pass, he put too much air under the ball intended for a covered Shakim Phillips, badly under throwing it. He appears to have trouble recognizing coverage and blitzes. We expected growing pains with Boyle and we are getting them. He might need to sit for a game to clear his head, because he appears lost out there.

Running Back:
Martin Hyppolite
- You can't fumble. Not in the red zone against a team like Louisville with the score 0-0. Great job by the staff to take him out of the game
Lyle McCombs: Same story here. If there is an opening, he is going to gain yardage. He isn't going to break a huge play, and won't make people miss. I thought he did a nice job in pass pro.
Max Delorenzo: Not fast, gets what he gets, but on trap play in 1st quarter (with about 6:22 left), there was almost perfect blocking. Perfect. Most BCS backs are going to take that for 25-30 yards or a score. He went forward for 6 yards and slipped.) Does a good job of squaring shoulders and leaning forward. One cut guy, if that, love him on short yardage. He is not the answer as the workhorse back, in my opinion. He should be on the field in every short yardage situation, though, and he is currently the best back we have seen play on our roster this season.

Wide Receiver:
Shakim Phillips:
He obviously is still bothered by the hamstring injury, and it might be in everyone's best interest for him to shut it down. He can finally get the leg fully healed, and the young WR's can get more reps.
Brian Lemelle: I know he isn't a big receiver, but he really needs to show more effort blocking. Louisville DB's were relentless in the run game, easily disengaging from WR and TE blocks. I like what I saw of him running routes. Might have had a score if Boyle could hit him in stride in a 2nd quarter pass. This kid needs to keep getting reps.
Geremy Davis: It's a shame the qb play has been so poor, because this guy is a budding star at WR. He has really learned how to use his large frame to position himself to make catches. In a season of disappointments, Davis has been a bright spot.
Deshon Foxx: Nice job getting the corner for the first down early in the first quarter before the ridiculous hit by Calvin Pryor (why Charlie Strong was whining about the flag is beyond me.)

Tight Ends:
Spencer Parker
and Sean McQuillan both showed they cannot block, often getting blown up in the run game. This is a huge area of need on this team, and I have no idea how we can improve. I am sure we can get a capable pass receiver here, but we desperately need a blocker. My hope is that Tommy Myers is the answer next season. But I have nothing at all to base that on.

Offensive Line:
There seems to be some confusion, especially in pass blocking. In a qb hurry, Steve Greene looked inside at linebacker, McCombs picked up backer, man over Greene hurried Boyle. Don’t know protection call, but either Greene or McCombs picked up wrong player. And this appeared to be a theme throughout the game. I credit some of this to Louisville's varied blitzing, but you still have to make the blocks. I liked what I saw of the interior run blocking.

Kevin Friend: Kind of sums up line play this year: Play to his side, goes to second level, and stands in hole while defenders run by.
Tyler Bullock: Had the best half of any of the O Lineman. Good job pulling. Liking what I see in the run game. Very athletic. Unfortunately, he is a senior and won't be back.
Jimmy Bennet: Not strong enough, not athletic enough (obviously his history of leg injuries have taken a huge toll here. I respect that he persevered to rehab several injuries to come back) They bull rush, into a move or run right by him. Struggling big time in run and pass game.
Alex Mateus: Consistently pushed back in the run and pass game. It is obvious he understands angles, and does a good job of shielding defender in run game, but sometimes he gets pushed back so far, back has to readjust at line.
Steve Greene: Is what he is. I appreciate that he is always looking to hit someone. He is an inconsistent blocker, but when he gets his hands on you in run game - game over.

Defense:
I thought they played well, all things considered. Scheme: WTF, ran the 5 man front that I liked, but stood up Wilman? Wilman looked utterly confused. And where are the pass rush moves? I see players putting their hands on opposing lineman and playing patty cake. Rip? Swim? Getting under the O Lineman? Do not have speed on the outide on D. (See Senorise Perry's td run)

Defensive Line:

Angelo Pruitt: He holds the edge well, and unlike many on here, I am fine with him as a D End. Just need to adjust scheme. Playing strong side. Played with a little pep in his step rushing the passer.
Julian Campenni : Can get pushed aside in run game. Slooooow in pursuit. Zero pass rush.
Jesse Joseph - Fail to see any explosion. Injuries have taken toll. When you replay in slow motion he is extremely slow off the ball in pass situations.
Shamar Stephen: Immovable, and very underrated lateral movement. He will be playing on Sundays.
Tim Wilman: No pass rush moves.
Mikal Myers: Very stout against the run. Nice push in the pass game. Low center of gravity really helps. I want to see a lot more of him. Should be in a straight platoon with Campenni, only saw one series in the first half.

Linebackers:
Marquise Vann: L
ooked good against run. Hustles, not, fast, but aggressive. I like his game a lot.
Yawin Smallwood: Second average game in a row. Often allowed lineman to get to his body. Looked tentative in hole. His speed still sticks out to me. After coming up with average games against UCF and Louisville, he should think about coming back. I do not fault him for leaving, but he needs to finish strong.
Jefferson Ashiru: Got engulfed, slow to fill on Brown’s 10 yard first quarter run. His play was up and down. He just needs to be more consistent. When I see him rush the passer, and think about this teams utter lack of speed, I think the new staff should really consider moving him to D End. Forget prototype size that Coach P loved. We need speed, and we need playmakers. I think Ashiru can be a playmaker as an end.

Secondary:
Byron Jones:
Jones came up to make play in run game. I liked his coverage for the most part. Big slip on td to Parker, although it looked like he thought a safety was going to help. He is another player I think is fine on D. Would like new staff to commit to a position for Jones. He has good recovery speed, can be an asset at safety or cb.
Obi Melifonwu: missed another tackle on a half hearted attempt.
Andrew Adams: Adams looks lost when asked to cover. But he looked good in the run game when playing at or near the line. Move him to linebacker. Again, I don't care about prototype size.
David Stevenson: Played with a lot of passion. Love it.

Special Teams:

Bad Snap, Bad attempt at picking it up. Should have tossed it out back of end zone.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Louisville blitzed on just about every play even late in the 2nd half with the game well in hand. The word is out on our lack of pass protection and true FR QB's decision making. We should probably expect a ton of blitzes for the rest of the season.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Nice write up. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Reaction Score
Louisville blitzed on just about every play even late in the 2nd half with the game well in hand. The word is out on our lack of pass protection and true FR QB's decision making. We should probably expect a ton of blitzes for the rest of the season.

They definitely had zero respect for the pass game. They freely blitzed dbs constantly, both in the run and pass game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom