UConn v Houston kickoff? | The Boneyard

UConn v Houston kickoff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
When is it or when will it be announced? 3:30 or 4:00 I can go- 12:00 now way as I have to work til 4:00pm.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Six day hold. I'm thinking 3:30 kickoff is most likely. But we will have to wait a week to find out for sure.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Six day hold. I'm thinking 3:30 kickoff is most likely. But we will have to wait a week to find out for sure.
Hope you're right Dooley. Would love to be there!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
@tcf15 just posted on the BB board:

Noon tip for men.

"late afternoon or evening" kick for football.

Nailed it... :)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
UConnHuskies12:52pm via TweetDeck
The @UConnFootball vs. Houston game on 11/21 will be a six-day pick for time and TV, but will be played in the late afternoon or evening

UConnHuskies12:53pm via TweetDeck
Because of that, the @UConnMBBgame vs. Furman on 11/21 at Gampel Pavilion will tip at noon...a great doubleheader day for all Husky fans!

I'll say it.

Wouldn't it be great if UConn coordinated a plan to have bussing available so students or fans could attend the bball game and have a bus get them to the Rent?

Could it actually be cool to come up with the plan and promote it as some sort of Husky Express??? Maybe even do something insane like have free t-shirts for those who take the bus, provide hot chocolate, coffee or warm beverages

It almost seems like it's too easy to come up with a way that ties the two games together (And, no, we don't want fans to stay at Gampel to watch the football game inside of Gampel. The idea is to come up with a promotion to get people in their seats for both events.

Centralized pick up at the Rent at 10:30 for a trip to Gampel and then the return leg to the Rent for football.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I'll say it.

Wouldn't it be great if UConn coordinated a plan to have bussing available so students or fans could attend the bball game and have a bus get them to the Rent?

Could it actually be cool to come up with the plan and promote it as some sort of Husky Express??? Maybe even do something insane like have free t-shirts for those who take the bus, provide hot chocolate, coffee or warm beverages

It almost seems like it's too easy to come up with a way that ties the two games together (And, no, we don't want fans to stay at Gampel to watch the football game inside of Gampel. The idea is to come up with a promotion to get people in their seats for both events.

Centralized pick up at the Rent at 10:30 for a trip to Gampel and then the return leg to the Rent for football.

Far too creative.

Honestly - the biggest holdup would likely be the LAZ/East Hartford/P&W gulag. Heaven forbid they open/close lots early.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I hope UConn has an army of busses at the ready to get the students from the hoops game to the football game. I don't think a raucous atmosphere is needed to beat Furman.

Reaction Score
If it's a 3:30 PM start I doubt we see many students coming from the BB game after it let's out at 2:15 PM. We need a 7:00 PM start to get students there.

It's amazing how many BB fans on the BB board are more concerned about the Furman game than a chance to beat a ranked team and go bowling.

Dooley

Reaction Score
If it's a 3:30 PM start I doubt we see many students coming from the BB game after it let's out at 2:15 PM. We need a 7:00 PM start to get students there.

It's amazing how many BB fans on the BB board are more concerned about the Furman game than a chance to beat a ranked team and go bowling.

I don't understand it either. I'm not saying the Houston game will directly effect CR, but of the two games being played that day, one has the potential of being one of the most important games in UConn history - in terms of demonstrating a pulse again for the program and fanbase (both wouldn't hurt our CR profile, not to mention give our team 30 additional days of practice to maybe do something REALLY special next season). The other will be a 30 point blowout and an opportunity for walk ons to get some playing time. I get the fact that we're a basketball school and really don't have a problem with it...until the time comes that I will see a sold-out Gampel for a meaningless game and a half empty Rent for the most important game in the past 5 years.

Oh well - I hope UConn will figure something out to get fans packed for both games. Would be great if kickoff was 7 or 8PM but I have a feeling it will be 3:30.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That's what I expected.

The hoop game will be noon on SNY and the football game will most likely be ESPN2 at 3:30.

Reaction Score
Any idea on what this means for TV?

CBS Sports will pick either our game or Tulsa--Navy for 7:00. The other one (probably us) will be slotted into one of the lesser ESPNs in late afternoon. Given that CBS could have picked today, and didn't want to, the rational assumption is that they are waiting to see if Houston beats Memphis. So I assume that if Houston beats Memphis, we will play at 7:00, but if Houston loses they would rather show Navy and we will play late afternoon.

That is my assumption -- the only thing I know is that CBS Sports picks one of those two games for 7:00.

Reaction Score

UConn Country in a nutshell.

Reaction Score
I just took a look at the academic calendar. Another thing working against us student attendance wise is the start of Thanksgiving break on Sunday. Many of the kids will likely take off Thursday/Friday after class. Hopefully they realize the importance of this game since it'll be the first time many of them have seen any kind of football success/progress in their 4 years.

Reaction Score
I just took a look at the academic calendar. Another thing working against us student attendance wise is the start of Thanksgiving break on Sunday. Many of the kids will likely take off Thursday/Friday after class. Hopefully they realize the importance of this game since it'll be the first time many of them have seen any kind of football success/progress in their 4 years.

Being that about 65% of students (give or take) are from CT maybe they can ask dad/mom for a few bucks and the keys to the car to get to the game. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Being that about 65% of students (give or take) are from CT maybe they can ask dad/mom for a few bucks and the keys to the car to get to the game. :rolleyes:

Hahaha not going to argue with you on that point but we've seen the student response in past years when they play on break. I may be overly optimistic but I think the casual fans will step up especially if Houston wins this week and comes in Top 15 or so.

Reaction Score
Yea, even during good years when there's been a home game during Thanksgiving break it hasn't been that well attended by students. But I believe most of those years the game was the Saturday after Thanksgiving so everyone was home. This is the Saturday before so students certainly have the option of staying on campus until after the game.

Overall I would guess if the weather is really nice we get 35,000+ plus. Cold but dry 30,000+. Rain, all bets are off. Playing for a bowl game and against potentially an undefeated top 15 team will help, but still not sure its enough for the more casual fans to feel like they have to be there.

Reaction Score
Noon. With a special shout out at both games to Freescooter. ;)

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Yea, even during good years when there's been a home game during Thanksgiving break it hasn't been that well attended by students. But I believe most of those years the game was the Saturday after Thanksgiving so everyone was home. This is the Saturday before so students certainly have the option of staying on campus until after the game.

Overall I would guess if the weather is really nice we get 35,000+ plus. Cold but dry 30,000+. Rain, all bets are off. Playing for a bowl game and against potentially an undefeated top 15 team will help, but still not sure its enough for the more casual fans to feel like they have to be there.
If the weather is nice, 30k. Crappy weather, 24-25k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom