UConn v Albany | The Boneyard

UConn v Albany

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Lots of up side here. According to my math, there are 63 other teams in the Tournament. Someone else will beat 57 of them, leaving UCONN only six to win. Regardless of who else wins or loses, four of those six games will be played in the State of Connecticut. I'm optimistic.

Reaction Score
Some Albany info:

The Albany Great Danes are not a very good two point shooting team, not a very good three point shooting team and not a very good foul shooting team...............should be a long day in Bridgeport for Albany.......................in non-conference play early in the season they lost to both Kentucky and Miami by 24 points........

Top scorers:

Imani Tate - 19.1 ppg / 4.9 rpg
Jessica Fequierz - 12.4 ppg / 7.2 rpg
Bailey Hixson - 8.8 ppg / 4.1 rpg

Scoring - 66.6 / Opponent 62.3
Rebounding - 38.9 / Opponent 34.5
Turnovers - 19.7 / Opponent 20.8
Field Goal % - .419 / .386
Three point shooting % - .311 / Opponent .3.26
Free Throw % - .686 / Opponent .725

Last edited:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Some Albany info:

The Albany Great Danes are not a very good two point shooting team, not a very good three point shooting team and not a very good foul shooting team......should be a long night in Bridgeport for Albany.....

Morning (11 am) in Storrs?

Reaction Score
right......day...in Bridgeport although it will sound like Storrs
??? Unless I am mistaken, the first two rounds of the "Bridgeport" regional are played in several places (including Storrs), none of which is Bridgeport. The action does not move to Harbor Yard until the third round, aka the sweet 16.

Reaction Score
??? Unless I am mistaken, the first two rounds of the "Bridgeport" regional are played in several places (including Storrs), none of which is Bridgeport. The action does not move to Harbor Yard until the third round, aka the sweet 16.

You could be right...........even better if that's the case

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Some Albany info:

The Albany Great Danes are not a very good two point shooting team, not a very good three point shooting team and not a very good foul shooting team.....should be a long day in Bridgeport for Albany........in non-conference play early in the season they lost to both Kentucky and Miami by 24 points...

Top scorers:

Imani Tate - 19.1 ppg / 4.9 rpg
Jessica Fequierz - 12.4 ppg / 7.2 rpg
Bailey Hixson - 8.8 ppg / 4.1 rpg

Scoring - 66.6 / Opponent 62.3
Rebounding - 38.9 / Opponent 34.5
Turnovers - 19.7 / Opponent 20.8
Field Goal % - .419 / .386
Three point shooting % - .311 / Opponent .3.26
Free Throw % - .686 / Opponent .725

They seem to be on something of a hot streak winning 12 of the last 13 games.

More details at Women's Basketball Draws #1 Connecticut In NCAA Tournament

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Albany is a really nice mid major program. They have won the America East 6 years in a row. After upsetting LSU in the 1st round last year they hung with Syracuse for a time before the Orange pulled away. Despite losing Coach Abe to UCF after last season, they have continued their success under new HC Bernabei-McNamee.

I live up in Saratoga, so the matchup with UConn is all over the local news. The reaction of the Great Danes when it was announced last night is priceless. I would characterize it as shock and excitement.

I expect the Great Danes will embrace the challenge, playing in front of more fans in person and on TV than ever before. As for the game itself, the Huskies MOV will be somewhere between 40 and 60.

Reaction Score
I think an MOV more around 30. Remember, this an 11:00 am start and the Huskies don't wake up before noon. ;)

Reaction Score
I know very little of the Albany program but from a purely statistical standpoint they should be easy pickings for the Huskies................teams that don't shoot at a high percentage are usually swamped without the ability to mount a come back....................it would be great if UConn could rest the starters for a bit as they will be racking up big minutes in the games ahead......................

Reaction Score
Albany is a really nice mid major program. They have won the America East 6 years in a row. After upsetting LSU in the 1st round last year they hung with Syracuse for a time before the Orange pulled away. Despite losing Coach Abe to UCF after last season, they have continued their success under new HC Bernabei-McNamee.

I live up in Saratoga, so the matchup with UConn is all over the local news. The reaction of the Great Danes when it was announced last night is priceless. I would characterize it as shock and excitement.

I expect the Great Danes will embrace the challenge, playing in front of more fans in person and on TV than ever before. As for the game itself, the Huskies MOV will be somewhere between 40 and 60.

As @oldude mentioned, as a benefit of winning their conference each of the last 6 years, Albany has been to the dance 6 times. However, the lowest seed they have previously occupied has been 14 or 15. They weren't NOT expecting to be a 16 seed this year. So, imagine their experience, after barely getting settled in and ready to watch for their location, seed, and 1st opponent, they are hit smack in the face with the very 1st reveal in the selection show. UConn and Albany.

1. Shock - there we are already
  2. Disappointment - what? 16 seed
  3. Location - cool, we can bus over
    (only seconds have now passed, but the totality of the information has sunk in)
  4. Hilarity, Laughter, and Surrender - UConn ...seriously?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you played for Albany, would you rather put up a valiant effort but loose to UConn,(record breaking winner of 108 straight games who go on to win the tournament) or would you rather play a "lesser" team in the first round and win before being unceremoniously knocked out by any old team in the next round?

Reaction Score
If you played for Albany, would you rather put up a valiant effort but loose to UConn,(record breaking winner of 108 straight games who go on to win the tournament) or would you rather play a "lesser" team in the first round and win before being unceremoniously knocked out by any old team in the next round?
Yea, look at what Miss. State has done the year following a UConn 60 point beat-down in the NCAA tourney. Maybe Albany will come back stronger next year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So last year UAlbany lost to Syracuse, so they could make the claim that they were the 3rd best team in the country. This year they can claim that they are the 2nd best....:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I live up in Saratoga, so the matchup with UConn is all over the local news.
Love Saratoga for so many reasons (dance, orchestra, etc). Near the top of the list is the greatest "down home" cooking in the Northeast: Hatties....so long as you're in line by 5:00.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I just drove home (Fairport NY) from Niagara Falls NY and I am way more concerned about the weather more than anything when it comes to this game. The high winds causing downed trees & power lines follow by this blizzard has everything on the roads a mess. Hopefully it all cleaned up in the next couple of days. I would love to make it out there. From Albany it's not a bad trip at all to Storrs. Unfortunately, I'm another 3 hours west of Albany.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I just drove home (Fairport NY) from Niagara Falls NY and I am way more concerned about the weather more than anything when it comes to this game. The high winds causing downed trees & power lines follow by this blizzard has everything on the roads a mess. Hopefully it all cleaned up in the next couple of days. I would love to make it out there. From Albany it's not a bad trip at all to Storrs. Unfortunately, I'm another 3 hours west of Albany.
It is Tuesday - can't imagine this isn't cleaned up and dealt with by Friday morning. Though at the moment there might be snow/rain during the weekend which might mess with local travel between games.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
It is Tuesday - can't imagine this isn't cleaned up and dealt with by Friday morning. Though at the moment there might be snow/rain during the weekend which might mess with local travel between games.
People and some businesses and schools here have been without power for over week. While you would think given this areas history with weather they would be more prepared... that is just not the case.

Here is what they are expecting in their area: Nor'easter will dump up to 18 inches of snow in Albany area

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think an MOV more around 30. Remember, this an 11:00 am start and the Huskies don't wake up before noon. ;)

Massey has a line of UConn -47.5. Sagarin's ratings make UConn roughly a 48-point favor.

But of course those don't factor in how sleepy puppies can be in the morning

f2811691eb10e6087cfec9596f629041.jpg

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Last year UConn beat Mississippi State in the Sweet 16 by 60 points in a game that started at 11;30 AM. As I recall, the halftime score was 61-12. That would have been by about 12:15 PM.

Of course, it may have been because MSU was accustomed to Central Time.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Last year UConn beat Mississippi State in the Sweet 16 by 60 points in a game that started at 11;30 AM. As I recall, the halftime score was 61-12. That would have been by about 12:15 PM.

Of course, it may have been because MSU was accustomed to Central Time.

Good point, however that was already a few games in and UCONN already picking up momentum and carrying it thru the tourney.

This happens to be a first round game and it happens to be very early. I am confident of a win, although I can surely see a sluggish start after 2 weeks off and such an early start.

Tbh, it'd actually be nice if Albany can make a game out of it...give us a chip on our shoulder moving forward

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom