UCONN-UVA Article From UVA Vantage Point (Augusta Free Press) | The Boneyard

UCONN-UVA Article From UVA Vantage Point (Augusta Free Press)

Reaction Score
HuskyNan periodically posts UCONN WBB related articles from the viewpoint of the opposing team. I enjoy reading different versions of the same story.

Here is an Augusta Free Press (serving central Virginia) article covering last night's match-up. The article contains a longer quote (than found in Connecticut papers) at the end of the story from Tina Thompson regarding playing against a UCONN Offense:

"They do a good job of countering what you are trying to take away. They read each other very well. It is reminiscent of a team that has been playing together for a while and is very well trained. When a team runs a motion offense like that and they move and they move, we have to go into a zone because it is impossible to guard. They do counters and reads based on what the defense is giving. You can’t take away everything, so our best option was the zone.”

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I thought that this comment from Tina Thompson was notable, especially considering what a highly qualified commentator she is:

They [UConn] do a good job of countering what you are trying to take away. They read each other very well. It is reminiscent of a team that has been playing together for a while and is very well trained. When a team runs a motion offense like that and they move and they move, we have to go into a zone because it is impossible to guard. They do counters and reads based on what the defense is giving. You can’t take away everything, so our best option was the zone.

Remember that UVA's defense had been highly successful against fairly good teams (including #13 Kentucky) in the three games prior to the UConn game. Watching that game in person, UVA's defense looked like it was
being run through a meat grinder, especially during the 21-1 run at the end of the first quarter.

Reaction Score
I thought that this comment from Tina Thompson was notable, especially considering what a highly qualified commentator she is:

They [UConn] do a good job of countering what you are trying to take away. They read each other very well. It is reminiscent of a team that has been playing together for a while and is very well trained. When a team runs a motion offense like that and they move and they move, we have to go into a zone because it is impossible to guard. They do counters and reads based on what the defense is giving. You can’t take away everything, so our best option was the zone.

Remember that UVA's defense had been highly successful against fairly good teams (including #13 Kentucky) in the three games prior to the UConn game. Watching that game in person, UVA's defense looked like it was
being run through a meat grinder, especially during the 21-1 run at the end of the first quarter.
@JoePgh : Virginia, as you pointed out has done well against some teams. Coach Thompson isn't a novice at the game. This was a team who drilled many 3's or 2 jumpers with success. Their defense is physical and effective.
Uconn made them look as not the team they are. The 3's or jumpers didn't fall as they have the physical defense was handled by the one Uconn kid they wanted out of the game--OLIVIA. Uconn defeated a very good team with a very good coach. The score certainly does not reflect that.
What it reflect is: Uconn kids playing as a UNIT, in sync, and 3 players exceeding their previous performances: KYLA, ANIA, AUBREY. =hat's off to the coaching staff the kudo's given by Coach Thompson are well deserved.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The jury is still out on Tina Thompson's effectiveness as a coach, but I sure as heck respect her opinions and takes. The Comets would've never been such a dominant force without her extremely high court IQ and rock-solid demeanor. She developed into an all-world player not because of overwhelming physical abilities but thanks to good old-fashioned hard work and intelligence.

And at the risk of hijacking the thread, I can't pass up the chance to share one of my favorite basketball commercials of all time, in which Tina starred without even saying a word:

Reaction Score
The jury is still out on Tina Thompson's effectiveness as a coach, but I sure as heck respect her opinions and takes. The Comets would've never been such a dominant force without her extremely high court IQ and rock-solid demeanor. She developed into an all-world player not because of overwhelming physical abilities but thanks to good old-fashioned hard work and intelligence.

And at the risk of hijacking the thread, I can't pass up the chance to share one of my favorite basketball commercials of all time, in which Tina starred without even saying a word:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom