UConn updated ranking discrepancy | The Boneyard

UConn updated ranking discrepancy

Reaction Score
How about this for a discrepancy in where UConn is ranked now….

CBS has them at 94..only up 5 spots

Yahoo has them at 70, up 42 spots from last week!

Crazy difference

Reaction Score
How about this for a discrepancy in where UConn is ranked now….

CBS has them at 94..only up 5 spots

Yahoo has them at 70, up 42 spots from last week!

Crazy difference
Liberty fell 30 spots from 29 to 59?

Reaction Score
Coastal Carolina at 9-1 is #69

BC at 3-7 is #71

I wonder how they factor stuff in ?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

BC at 3-7 is #71

They don't. They assign an intern to throw spaghetti at the wall or create a generic metric in Excel.
We have put more thought into this than they did. Outside the top 25 (probably 15) it really doesn't matter. Teams that get smoked every week end up on the 100s. Everyone else is judged like figure skating.

Reaction Score

BC at 3-7 is #71

Marshall who owns a win over Notre Dame is ranked lower than 1-9, Colorado.

Reaction Score
Sez you!
I mostly agree with him. Not with computer rankings, but human ones. You’re talking about a range which includes bad teams from big conferences and good teams from G5 conferences, and ranking them really gets arbitrary because of the relatively few games between them.

Reaction Score
If Oregon is at #6 you know it's not updated yet. I say UCONN moves from 94 to low 80's.

I look at it as grades rather than rankings. Top 25 is A. To 50, B or B+. etc.

Reaction Score
If Oregon is at #6 you know it's not updated yet. I say UCONN moves from 94 to low 80's.

I look at it as grades rather than rankings. Top 25 is A. To 50, B or B+. etc.
Looks like they've update everyone's record but haven't yet changed their rankings. Even says updated today.

Reaction Score
Looks like they've update everyone's record but haven't yet changed their rankings. Even says updated today.
Yeah, that's how CBS does it. It always has today's date and records but the rankings lag.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

-> There have been a few weeks of College Football Playoff rankings, and there will be very little change at the top on Tuesday. So let’s open this week’s edition of The Athletic 131 by celebrating the teams that are in the midst of great seasons, by their standards, but aren’t in the CFP discussion. The purpose of these rankings, after all, is to acknowledge everyone, not just the select few at the top.

That means celebrating teams like No. 81 UConn, which beat Liberty to move to 6-5 and become bowl-eligible for the first time since 2015. The Huskies had four wins over their previous three seasons, left the American Athletic Conference for football independence and skipped the 2020 season due to COVID-19. Fans haven’t had a lot to be excited about for a while, but now they’re kings of New England and bowl-eligible in Jim Mora’s first season. That’s fun to see. <-

** Army @ #107**

Reaction Score
We discussed this last week. CBS doesn’t update their rankings until Monday or Tuesday.
Be patient…

#82 at CBS up 12
ahead of Nebraska, Vandy, Rutgers, AZ State, Stanford . . .

Reaction Score
#82 at CBS up 12

And Army @ 111

Reaction Score
#82 at CBS up 12

Massey has UConn at #111 and Rutgers at #70. Also have UConn 14 point dogs to Army which they have at #97 and give UConn 18% chance to win. This was about the same as before last weekend and UConn winning and Army losing.
Looked at Massey ratings methods and their rankings are supposed to show "how good you did" in actual games you played. Their "power" rankings are designed to state "potential" of the team. In power rankings Army is #84 and UConn is #122. There must be something about "how" UConn wins (by getting turnovers, without much of passing game, etc.) that makes it look like UConn's record is better than the team (luck?).

Massey description of what their calculations mean:

Predictions​

The Massey Ratings are designed to measure past performance, not necessarily to predict future outcomes.

Rating​

The overall team rating is a merit based quantity, and is the result of applying a Bayesian win-loss correction to the power rating.

Power​

In contrast to the overall rating, the Power is a better measure of potential and is less concerned with actual wins-losses.

If win this week will be interesting if end up "ranked" higher than Army and what our power number looks like. Currently rated lower than BCU, Fresno State and Liberty; all teams we have beaten.

Reaction Score
I know these ranking are kind of bogus but it is fun to see us ahead of 20-something P5s in the USA Today rankings.

Someone tell me again this is the coach who is going to bring Miami back to the glory days!

Reaction Score

-> There have been a few weeks of College Football Playoff rankings, and there will be very little change at the top on Tuesday. So let’s open this week’s edition of The Athletic 131 by celebrating the teams that are in the midst of great seasons, by their standards, but aren’t in the CFP discussion. The purpose of these rankings, after all, is to acknowledge everyone, not just the select few at the top.

That means celebrating teams like No. 81 UConn, which beat Liberty to move to 6-5 and become bowl-eligible for the first time since 2015. The Huskies had four wins over their previous three seasons, left the American Athletic Conference for football independence and skipped the 2020 season due to COVID-19. Fans haven’t had a lot to be excited about for a while, but now they’re kings of New England and bowl-eligible in Jim Mora’s first season. That’s fun to see. <-

** Army @ #107**

Damn work distractions…

… here’s the neighborhood down the street:

1668443561085.png

Reaction Score
I'm taking the points and riding the Huskies on Saturday.

(although these are what people call sucker lines - the house is the house for a reason)

The House is the House by getting equal amounts of money placed on both sides. Not by trying to figure out who is more likely to win.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The House is the House by getting equal amounts of money placed on both sides. Not by trying to figure out who is more likely to win.
That's the old school thinking. Modern books admit they try to get the public to bet the wrong way on some games. They have all the data and the insight and want to do better than a 10% return.

Reaction Score
That's the old school thinking. Modern books admit they try to get the public to bet the wrong way on some games. They have all the data and the insight and want to do better than a 10% return.
I view both as right in the end. There is a risk in a bettor who knows that they're doing with a strong model that they'll have to shrink more to those predictions than to the middle split. Then again they can always refuse service with successful bettors.

Edit: my deference is to you guys as I've never actually bet or get involved in that game but I have thought about how I'd create and test a model. All I care is if I can win more than average. Not the exact behavior of the betting house with regards to the public writ large. Where they defeat public and modelers like me is on inside or specific knowledge or insight.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Edit: my deference is to you guys as I've never actually bet or get involved in that game but I have thought about how I'd create and test a model. All I care is if I can win more than average. Not the exact behavior of the betting house with regards to the public writ large. Where they defeat public and modelers like me is on inside or specific knowledge or insight.
FWIW, I'm a lousy sports bettor. I was just relaying what I heard on VSiN when they were interviewing a big-time Vegas linemaker.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom